Fellow bike guys- Share your Yamaha opinions.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Jul 9, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I didn't find my '99 Valkyrie particularly uncomfortable, and generally prefer a bike with the pegs beneath me rather than ahead of me, though I never used my Valkyrie for any long distance touring duties, but rather as a local runabout. The only 'negatives' I would claim against my Valkyrie are that they are quite fuel-hungry with those six carbs, and have a relatively limited range because of it, and they're geared a little 'short' for relaxed interstate cruising. One thing is for sure though, they're impressive with that big chromed-out flat six visually dominating the bike, and definitely have a lot of two-wheeled hotrod feeling to them.

Jakedog and Colo Springs E like this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

You know, I probably never rode that ‘77 model XS650 more than an hour or two without stopping somewhere in the time that I had it, but I didn’t find its vibration—either in the bars or the pegs—to be annoying within those constraints. The front wheel had a fore-and-aft shake at idle, but the low-frequency and high-amplitude of the shake seemed tolerable to me at road speeds with stock gearing, and I loved the British-twin-esque 360-degree-crank sound!

Eventually I made a few mods in honor of Steve McQueen-style desert sleds, including a lower final drive ratio. The highway speed vibes pretty much sucked after that!

The bike that followed it, a ‘72 Honda CB450 twin (180-degree crank) had a lower-amplitude, higher-frequency vibration that I remember as being a little annoying after awhile in both the bars and pegs. And it sounded like a commercial mower until you got it wound up, at which point it sounded pretty cool but vibrated more.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    flathd and John Backlund like this.
  3. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Last Yamaha I rode was when I was a kid. Probably not what you're after. :D The venerable YZ-80.

[​IMG]

Jlwctn, Jakedog and mexicanyella like this.
  4. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I have rode since I was 14, I have owned just about every type of motorcycle out there. And I am telling you there is no substitution for a Harley.
    I have Roadking and I can't imagine replacing her.

5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

OP, while I’m too out of the loop to offer current bike selection advice (though I stand by my advice not to buy a YZ490 for your needs), THANK YOU and all participants for this thread. What a great bunch of pics to look at. That early mono shock YZ80 directly above has me sniffling a little bit. That’s what I wished I had when I was riding my MX80. Real suspension! More than four wide-spaced gear ratios! An exciting powerband!

Jakedog likes this.
  6. John Backlund

I agree, there really is no substitution for a Harley, but there are dozens of fun, competent, economical, alternatives to a Harley, especially if one wants a comparably lightweight, sportier, universally useful machine than Harley offers.

Jakedog and 5ofeight like this.
  7. skitched

skitched Tele-Meister

My Yamaha JR2 is great for the money...buts it’s bareley big enough for one person.

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Good luck on your hunt, I've had good luck over the years owning and riding Yamahas; but currently thinking of heading in the opposite direction size-wise than you .... a friend is offering me a great-shape '75 RD 350, for probably a bit too high price but it sure looks like a fun little screamer ....

Jakedog and John Backlund like this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey there - I resemble that remark! I love the Tasmanian devil reference.

I am 5' 11" with a 29.5" inseam. In most cars, by the time I get the seat far enough forward to reach the pedals, my head is in the headliner, so I have to recline the seat back to fit. My wife puts her seat all the way up in her car - she is 5' 6" - and I cannot even get in unless I lower the seat all the way.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

BTW - 88 cid Harley motor is 1442 cc (or close to that). Aren't the Harley motors set up for torque and the Japanese have less torque and more horsepower? Those 1800 bike motors - wow. My car is a 1.8, so same size. Nuts. But, my VW is a turbo, and the setup is different, but still. 600 lb bike vs 3200 lb car.

Jakedog likes this.
  11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Yamaha makes great bikes. I guess my exposure to how good they were came from this guy.

KingKenny.JPG

Jlwctn, Jakedog, flathd and 1 other person like this.
  12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

John, I had the C model with the single gatlin gun looking rear exhaust. I knew a guy who had an R with the twin exhaust and we were going to do a trade after he got aftermarkets pipes as I loved the R dual pipes much better than the single C. I actually drilled my C pipes out not long after I got it and the tone improved. I ended up with some Vance and Hines Big Shots and loved them, although I always had to ride trail as the people behind me usually ended up deaf after long rides :D

And you are right, the 1800s with the setup they have (different than the 1300, single cam maybe?) don't sound like a V twin. I used to tell people it sounded more like a chevy 350 with headers.
    But they are solid bikes and the parts are plentiful and as you can see they are indeed cheap now days, although I bought mine still in the crate for $6K in '05 as Honda could not move them.

13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Some people have mentioned the BMWs, my friend in KS has this one.

[​IMG]

He flat out loves it and was looking to get a newer one (his is an '09 I think). He and his wife were going to ride it to DFW (7 hours) earlier this spring for a visit. I asked his wife what she thought about it and she said she loved long rides as she has the back rest and it is really comfortable. They have a two up helmet intercom system and the bike is quiet enough that they have no trouble hearing.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

First, you can't compare an '88 Harley with the newer ones.

Having said that - I had a Roadstar - way too much vibration. Nice bike, but couldn't take the shaking.

Vulcan - never owned one but I've test ridden several. Nice bikes but boring, no fun at all.

Vulcan 2000 - Exception to the Vulcan's aren't fun rule. rode one from DC area to Alaska and back. Very smooth, well balanced, fun to ride. Be aware of tire sizes. When I got almost to Alaska and needed new tires I found out they have an odd size. The nearest tire was 500 miles away.

FJR - had one and couldn't get comfortable on it. Custom seat, handle bar extenders, Yoda posture. I finally sold it because I couldn't ride it for more than an hour. And I rode my Harleys from DC to Florida in 14 hours many times.

That's all I got. I've owned several Hondas. Again, nice bikes, but meh.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Holic

It was a tragedy that the British Police couldn't use the Bonneville and ended up with those horrible Beemers with sticky out cylinders. But destroying your radio set and spine on each ride wasn't an option, which ruled out the Triumph.

John Backlund likes this.
  16. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

My Yamaha opinions would mostly centre around Kawasaki. :D

17. Catawompus

Catawompus Tele-Meister

This is what I have. Comes with a back seat you can screw on. If you need some extra power... 125 hp.

Attached Files:

Jakedog likes this.
  18. John Backlund

I had a 2006 Vulcan 2000 for a couple of seasons, and liked it very much. The engines in those things seemed more like something Pratt & Whitney might have made rather than a motorcycle company, and yes, weird tire sizes, don't know why they would have done that, but it sucked. I wanted to put wide whitewalls on mine but the only one available was some questionable Chinese(?) brand.

Mine handled like a wallowing pig in corners, but was otherwise a pretty satisfying cruiser to putt around on, with lots of power for a production V-twin cruiser, though still slow by comparison to most other motorcycle types.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  19. John Backlund

Ah, yes, the M109, never had the opportunity to ride one, but I'm pretty certain that I'd like it. I especially appreciate Suzuki avoiding the 'Traditional American classic V-Twin' template when styling that model. Many of them were painted in very cool color finishes, which I liked.

20. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

and with the 200MM rear tire stock!! Nice bikes, the other VTX.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.