Fell out of love with nocasters. What next?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by adjason, Jan 15, 2020.

1. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So I had some nocasters in a mexican tele years ago and loved the sound. I swapped them out and sold the guitar a couple of years ago so these pickups have been sitting in a box. I put them in a mid 2000's american standard recently and don't care for them all that much. I have been really liking the 64's in some home builds so maybe my ear just hears that as a a good tone nowadays. The nocasters just seem quiet and missing that bridge pickup cut. I have tried lots of heights etc. Anyway I am thinking of swapping them back to standard or maybe trying the twisted tele set (I really like that neck pickup in a 2013 American standard I had). I really like the 64s but already have them in 2 teles so just looking for something different.

2. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

The PV64's are really sweet pickups. I have them in my AO 60's Tele are a nice alternative.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

Check the value of the tone cap in the American Standard. I expect the nocasters want the "vintage" .047 mfd.....I had a 1996 Am Std with an .022 cap...I swapped in an .047 and it sounded better...

Greggorios likes this.
  4. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I've had Nocasters, PV 58s, PV 52s, PV 64s, and the Original Vintage Reissue '52s.
    They all sorta sound the same. Like a good Tele.
    Don't waste your time and or money.

5. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Meister

I think the PV 58s are the best of the lot. They are not too hot, or harsh, or whatever other adjective. They’re great.

6. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Make a doctor's appointment quick! Or perhaps have someone take you to the emergency room. There has to be some physical causes.

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Liking some new A2's I got from Europa.
    The cav man and Jason, Lindy, Don, also, has a lot of cool offerings too for viva la diff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.