Feelings About Thinning Out The Herd

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Fiesta Red, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Due to a temporary financial situation, I recently sold a couple of things out of my herd/guitarsenal/collection...

I sold a Analogman NKT-275 Sunface Fuzz (and got 10x what I paid for it!) and a Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe that I’d done some pretty sweet customization to (broke even)...

The pedal had only been used once or twice since I bought it four years ago (it was just too “much” for my taste), and try as I might, I just couldn’t bond with that MPTTD, outside of looks...it was like a dinner date with a gorgeous girl who had no personality whatsoever.

In the past, when I had sold an amp or guitar or pedal under these circumstances, I was often upset or depressed or bothered that I was forced into this situation...but this time...

It was freeing.
    It was cathartic.
    It was enjoyable.
    I felt...lighter.

Maybe it’s because I hadn’t used either item (much, if at all) in years, but now I’m eyeing other dormant stuff in the guitar room and trying to decide if I should clear out some more space.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

2. Ian Hurtt

Ian Hurtt TDPRI Member

I'm sure there are others, but I flip gear quite a bit. I find it's hard at times to actually make the decision and sell, but rarely think of the item at all later.

BluesGuitarMart and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Yup. I keep things pretty minimal. The most guitars I had at one time was 5 or 6, two amps at one time, probably 7 or 8 pedals at one time. Down to three guitars (one of each: electric, acoustic, bass), no amp (just software) and no pedals.

I prefer it. If I’m not using stuff often, it’s gone.

Ian Hurtt and Fiesta Red like this.
  4. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I’m so addicted to the feeling of acquiring and having new gear that there is no way I could “thin the herd”.
    Good for you!!
    I definitely love my possessions and I’m not afraid to admit it.

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I primarily buy used stuff.
    I do my research and if I don't think I could resell an item for what I'm about to pay for it, I pass.
    Consequently, I have owned 25+ electrics, a bunch of amps and 12 or so acoustics.
    I usually only have a few things on hand.
    If I want something different, something old must go.

Fiesta Red, Ian Hurtt and naveed211 like this.
  6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have found that if I even have a thought about selling something, it ends up gong at some point. So once I have the thought now, I just do it.

Fiesta Red and Ian Hurtt like this.
  7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Over the last 60 years, I've found a very few guitars tha I could not connect with. But the minute I let one go, I start missing it. That probably explanes the size of my current family.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I saw a recent thread about dumping guitars, but, I thought
    this one was about losing my hair for some reason.

9. Ian Hurtt

Ian Hurtt TDPRI Member

Wow, you've been playing for sixty years? Very cool, when did you start?

10. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I love my things - and there are lots of things - but I could easily get rid of half of them and not miss them. I'm really just avoiding the trauma of inventorying it all and going through the actual process. I'll face up to it one of these days.

11. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Probably sixty years ago?

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have always been extremely cautious buying gear and extremely cautious selling gear. I have been thinning the herd and gear over the last few years and I think it is only because I gained more focus on what I like to play the most, found the sounds I sought during my sonic adventure and finally finding my own sound. Perhaps contentment is when you can volunteeringly thin the herd.

Fiesta Red, JL_LI and drlucky like this.
  13. Ian Hurtt

Ian Hurtt TDPRI Member

My bad, I was actually asking how old you were when you started.

Fiesta Red and P Thought like this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Nothing bad about it: wilfully misinterpreting your ambiguity gave me a chuckle

15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Call it thinning out the 'heard,'

that just keep the ones that to you sound the very best and facilitate your inspiration and playing

This I do affirm ™

Dan German likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

+1 on that. I hadn't made a purchase or sold anything for four or five years. I bought pickups for upgrades but that's different. Then unexpectedly, two months ago, a CS Strat came my way. I didn't buy it. It was like the stork brought it. Actually, I won it on the last stop of the Fender Custom Shop Road Show. I'd say I easily have everything I need to last until I die but there is a little thinning I may do next year. I have a '74 Ovation Balladeer that's in very good shape but is unused since I got a better acoustic. Maybe I'll put it on CL. I also have a SuperChamp XD that I just don't like. I'll be looking for a way to donate it. I don't need the $100 or $150 it could bring in and I think my old high school may be able to use it. When I was there in the '60s, the school's amp was a record player with a 1/4" mic input.

Obsessed likes this.
  17. Mpd2378

Mpd2378 TDPRI Member

Over the last 12 months i have gotten rid of my big amps and cabs and all my pedals and a couple of guitars I didn't care about.
    I liked buying gear and having new stuff but after I bought a line 6 hx, my pedal board never got used and I can't run my amps at a nice loud level to enjoy them so it all had to go.
    I'm just a bedroom player but have a collection of really nice quality gear.
    However if it doesn't get used, it doesn't get kept.
    So now I'm down to 9 guitars, a 68 Princeton ri, my line 6 hx and a fantastic thr 10c.
    Just waiting on my eastman t64 arriving and I'm done. (Honestly!)

Fiesta Red, jglenn and JL_LI like this.
  18. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

I know how you feel. A couple of years back I flipped about three guitars and felt good that there was nothing in the collection I could do without. I got the collection down to nine electrics. Then I started collecting again, bought three, sold one, and I'm up to 11. Now I've got some parts coming to do a self-build, and I'll be back to 12. Now I'm starting to feel uneasy again that I may have too many.

My trouble is that I get attached to them. The enjoyment of playing is such that I associate those good times with the instrument, like the guitar is a person too, and they're my partner.

I need to remind myself they're just tools to do a job. As I acquire newer tools that are better suited to the job, there's no sense in holding on to older unused tools. If these were spanners or screwdrivers in my toolbox, I'd have no problem getting rid.

It's irrational, I know. Is there a GAS-sufferers support group, like AA? I could do with attending: "My name is GuitarTwonk and I have a problem with GAS...."

Fiesta Red and Obsessed like this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

It was a $$/hardship situation for me ( that kind of spanned a few years) but I have sold everything that is not used for gigs ( I do have ' backups' on a few things)

So just a few guitars and a few small amps anymore.

There are a few ( cheap).guitars that I would like to get someday (.maybe next year?) if I can swing, and they will be used at gigs too.

20. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Every couple of years I make a fairly sizable donation of gear to the local school district parents' group. I get a tax deduction, the schools get some gear (or they can sell stuff they can't use) and I feel less encumbered by possessions. This year, I am donating an Ibanez bass, a Yamaha classical, a Guild Starfire, a Monoprice 15-watt tube amp, and a Kustom Defender 5(H) amp head, along with a number of other, smaller items.

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.