1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Feeling a bit pleased with myself!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Cymro14, May 20, 2012.

1. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

I've always been one to get the tech on the phone and arrange a visit if anything needed adjusting on any of my guitars. So , recently as I was strumming away , acoustically on my Baja I noticed an annoying buzz on the G string and this was all along the neck. I duly decided to attemp an adjustment myself rather than fork out the standard £25 tech fee. I raised the height ever so little on the vintage saddle and guess what.... no buzz at all. My Baja is now a perfect playing instrument, and I'm feeling good aboiut it. However I still wouldn't attempt anything more than this type of simple adjustment mind you. That's all folks:):)

2. BackNtheSaddle

BackNtheSaddle Tele-Holic

Oh no... Now you're hooked. Next thing ya know, you'll be turning the truss rod, radiusing the bridge height, moving pickups up-n-down, setting intonation....

And then, one day, you'll find that sweet spot.

It's a disease and now you have it. All it takes is one turn of the Allen wrench. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

But, it's really not rocket science.

Just spend £12 on Dan Erlewine's "Guitar Player Repair Guide"and pretty soon you'll be able to do all your own setups.

[​IMG]

4. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

5. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

I know that ....now!:lol:

Still wouldn't attempt a truss rod adjustment!!

6. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Ah,young Welsh chap you have started on a slippery slope to greatness.

When I joined this forum a couple of years back I had never done anything past adjusting action and intonation on any of my guitars. Two partscasters later the nut and the trussrod hold no fears for this intrepid ex virgin. This place and it's inhabitants will have you building from scratch if you're not careful.

7. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

I would never DARE to have some stranger work on one of my guitar's
    the thought of damage from unfamiliar hands is just too great
    nope better to do it all myself, safer that way you know

8. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

I've never had someone else setup a guitar for me. Long years of trial-and-error and tinkering have got me to where I can't imagine someone getting one of my guitars closer to ideal than I can. But I'm not very picky either.

9. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

Good points guys.But I think a lot of this tech -set-up thing is psychological. You pay your fee and think "Right I've paid this guy to do a "fantastic" set up....so it darned well is going to be good.............isn't it?" and very often ,alas, it plays just the same as if you'd done it youself. Then again , I wouldn't mess with the truss rod......would I?

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

some people just don't feel comfortable working on guitars ... some can't even change a set of strings ...

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Imo truss rod is there with saddle height & intonation in difficulty, not all that scary at all; more difficult would be fret leveling, rolling edges, cutting a nut.

12. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

Don't sell yourself short. Right now I feel like cutting a nut, leveling frets, and so on is a bit above me, but if I needed it done, I'd definitely try to get it done myself.

13. BackNtheSaddle

Yea, really. It's not like you'd be sticking an allen wrench in the truss on a weekly basis, either.

When it needs adjusting - you adjust it. Simple... kind of like action & intonation. Generally, you do it once and it should be good for as long as you continue to use the same brand/gauge of strings.

However, seasonal changes, changes in humidity, heat, etc. can affect your neck. For instance, one day you find a buzz that wasn't there.... so you check your string height. It's good? Measure your neck relief. It may be off. Find the allen wrench and set it. Now go adjust your action & check your intonation.

The whole thing takes 10-20 mins, tops.

Then... put away the damn tools and go play your guitar :D

14. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

Yep, if you just turn the truss rodd a little at a time and give it some time to settle, it'll go just fine.

I tweaked the truss rods in three guitars this week adjusting the relief and now they are all playing a ton better.

I haven't done the three things that you mention (fret level, rolled edges, cut a nut). I can do everything else. Some day maybe I'll get the courage to attack those things...

15. BackNtheSaddle

I twiddle the adjustments on my guitar all the time. But, I leave these kinds of things (that you really do not need all that often) in the hands of very skilled craftspeople.

Could I do it? Yea, probably. But, fret leveling is a once in a long-time need, as is a nut replacement. So, I'd rather have someone do it and do it right.

Caveat: You need to make friends with a very, very skilled luthier. I just did that. I dropped off my '81 LP Custom with Greg at BCR Music for a refret. NFW, that I would ever think of doing that myself. Worse yet, letting the "tech-dujour" at GC have at it... I'd sooner do it myself!

Relief adjustment, neck shimming, action adjustment, replacing/cleaning pots, adjusting/replacing pups, adding/replacing switches, yadda-yadda... I'm ll over that. No worries at all there.

I think that the OP may find that he'll be able to do most of that stuff, too.

Like all of us.... Crawl. Walk, Run!

16. Cymro14

Cymro14 Tele-Afflicted

Hi Skub........"young" .....thanks ...me too 56 years,..er, young. Retired from teaching 2 years ago. Still act like a 22 year old though!! Glad I fixed the buzz on that G string....got a Baja to be proud of now,and it's staying right here with me!! Admire guys who can actually build guitars. But it's so much more than fixing neck to body innit. You've got those strings, pick ups , bridges, tuners, nuts(whole hazelnuts) to think of too. I'll leave to the experts.:lol:

17. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

just get your self a cheap used guitar off craigslist or a pawn shop, fleamarket, ebay, yardsale, trash pick, what ever,(broken is even better!) and go to town! fix everything, adjust everything, replace everything, break everything!, then put it back together again,
    repeat until you feel confident to work on your good guitars

18. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Seriously, you should get Dan Erlwine's book and familiarize yourself with all the steps involved in setting up your Baja... correct truss adjustment is the first step as it alters everything else.

You have to take the neck off the Baja to do it but that's no biggie either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.