Feel the fear and do it anyway: upcoming gig anxiety

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Moriarty, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Express yourself. Put some emotion into it, play as pretty as you can. Someone once said this, and it stuck with me: Try to think of the feeling as excitement, instead of fear. Use the energy this creates to drive the songs. Mind the basics, watch your tempo, don't allow things to speed up. Have fun.

The worst that can happen is there might be a boo boo or two; even that can be fun.

Telekarster and Moriarty like this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A couple folks in the audience were singing along with Please Come to Boston. The bartender asked me what was the name of the Zombie’s She’s Not There. It was a good experience.

Modman68 and Moriarty like this.
  3. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Best advise right here

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

Feel inspired instead of nervous. Many people would love to do that gig but can't get them.

Moriarty likes this.
  5. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I'll add another little piece of thought food: Don't over think it. You can get wrapped around the axles pretty easy when you're new to playing in front of an audience, or have been away from the stage a long time. I'll quote a famous guitar player who's name escapes me right now but the gist of what I remember him saying was this: "I never practice for a show, and especially not just before a show. If I do I over think what I plan to do on the stage and when I get up there, I'll inevitably mess up because I'm thinking about what I practiced rather than let my soul, my fingers, my feeling, do the spontaineous magic that people have come to hear me do! Therefore, I never practice for a show."

Moriarty likes this.
  6. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

We've gotten together a few times now and it's going really well!
    I moved us up to earlier in the lineup, so we're down to a short, tight set: two songs each, trading off on guitar/vocals and bass. We have made the time to rehearse, and it's coming together nicely.
    This has been so much better than I'd feared. I'm growing as a player and performer and really reconnecting with an old friend.

telestratosonic likes this.
  7. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

We're really progressing well, even with so few rehearsals. Tonight was only our second night with our drummer and we sounded pretty good!
    Nobody's perfect, of course, but for a few old rusty old dudes we gelled pretty well. Having a drummer was awesome. I couldn't speed up out of anxiety (too much).
    I finally feel really confident about this gig. Which is good, because it's on Saturday.

telestratosonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.