Fedex!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Orpingtons, Aug 25, 2019.

1. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    All carriers have great service until they have a mishap. Then they are accused of being no good.
    Maybe the OP should have spoken to a supervisor.

2. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

When I placed my last order with StewMac, I was initially pleased because I assumed that courier delivery implied fairly brisk service. However, the order ended up being slow as hell, even though it was processed through customs efficiently. In the end, I'd have been a lot further ahead if I'd asked for snail mail.

3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Yup, this. I deal with all three at work (plus others.) They all stink to be honest.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Remember buying things off of cereal boxes that had the message "expect 30 days for delivery?" We're spoiled. I've had great service from UPS, USPS and Fed-Ex. And I've had some crappy service from them, too. I try not to buy things that I "needed yesterday" that I can't get locally. If I need next day service, I'll pay for it. If I paid for it and didn't get it, then I'd be upset.

Interesting. There's a Fed-Ex truck outside as I type this.

Toto'sDad and Milspec like this.
  5. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

Results seem to vary based on your location, proximity to a hub or distribution point, or airport, and also the driver on your route. My bro-in-law lives down 1/2 mile down a dirt road, FedEx WILL NOT go there, UPS jumps right in, their truck is already brown... (this is all on the driver).

I've had mixed experiences with them all, but in general things arrive, but as the OP states, not always on time.
    Don't forget Amazon now has a fleet of gray vehicles driving around, seems to be 7 days a week.

The company where I work ships an average of 4,000 packages per day (outgoing) double that close to certain holidays. Now Imagine hundreds of companies also shipping similar volumes, and all the little companies shipping stuff, and all the civilian packages. That's a lot to sort, track, deliver.... It's a wonder any of the stuff gets where it is going. Sadly, some of the stuff doesn't.

chris m. likes this.
  6. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

Well, after deciding that I wasn't gonna take crap from them I called them up to raise my complaints, again, this time in with the regional supervisor.

I was promised delivery today, I guess they were lying when they said their office was closed today, and when I checked it said "in vehicle for delivery".... Let's wait and see...

It's not fair for this companies to charge you for some service they're not willing to provide, it's the same as a fraud. I completely understand delays in case of a natural disaster or some other "unforeseen" issue, but not simply because they're lazy. You promise something you do it, specially if you charge for it, otherwise you need to call way in advance and explain the reasons why you can't deliver. That's called ethics, responsibility, and should be the core of every business.

7. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What planet do you live on?

imwjl likes this.
  8. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

I live in a planet where you at least have the right to demand honesty.

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

What planet is that?

10. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

When your only real competition is UPS, you can let things slip a lot and still seem competent.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with Intensely Calm.....it's a modern wonder that millions of packages get flown all around the country every single day and the vast majority arrive on time, undamaged.

Much of this is in the cargo hold of commercial passenger flights.....that's why the airlines keep bumping up the cost of checking bags-- because air freight is lucrative.

I wonder if the grounding of the 737 Max planes has had some impact on shipping on-time percentages.

It wasn't all that long ago that shipping took many weeks. Now those of us who don't live out in the boondocks expect 1 or 2 day service most of the time....at incredibly
    low prices-- i.e., usually "free" (although the cost must be embedded in the item price).

imwjl likes this.
  12. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

PACKAGE DELIVERED.

I decided not to be a victim here, you have every right to demand the service you paid for, not more but definitely not less.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Would you say what level of service you paid for? That's ethics and responsibility too if you're making a bunch of accusations and expect some understanding and respect. Without knowing that I still have to suspect that you and some here are expecting first or business class on the plane when you only paid for coach or a charter flight for the cheapest possible way there.

When we take the lowest rate options from some of our vendors their deals with FedEx and UPS are completely different than expedited and even standard services.

Milspec likes this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You bring up several very good points. I don't know if the 737 Max groundings negatively impacted the shipping situation, but it certainly could have. It really is amazing how you can take something to a shipper and shoot it across the globe in a couple of days for just a few bucks. People often forget the logistical manpower that it takes to accomplish that and certainly forget that their package is not the only one on the truck for delivery. Mondays are a busy day for USPS and today I walked over 14 miles and delivered 57 packages along that route....in the rain. Had I failed to deliver just one package despite all the effort, I would be called just another lazy incompetent delivery person. It really is crazy what the 3 ring circus looks like at USPS. I wish they would allow a "ride along" program like the police departments do so the public could see what a letter carrier goes through to get the mail and all those packages to your door....your opinion on shipping would change forever.

It was also pointed out that every shipping company have supplemented their labor force with contract employees to save money. These are people getting paid badly, over-worked, and low on morale so there is going to be more errors and failures now compared to say 10 years ago. It is a practice that I really wish would end, hard to get an person to care about their job when treated like crap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.