Febder new gen amps

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by 24 track, Sep 20, 2020.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've noticed an issue with some of the newer style Fender amps design flaws

1) they use IC ( brand name) high voltage capacitors ( under the dog house and on the PC board ) that seem to leak quite frequently and early in their life cycle and /or create a ton of noise ( I always use F&T caps as replacements)
    2) there are 2 white ceramic 5 watt wire wound resisters soldered very close to the PC board that get very hot , discolor or burn the board and damage the associated components and possibly lift the traces of the board.( all that needed to happen here is elevate these resisitors off the board during installation)
    3) I have had 3 amps so far that have had cold soldered connections through out the amps and sloppy component placement on the board ( pins not pushed into the board fully creating further performance issues)
    4) the models I've had so far all seem to have similar issues
    A) 65 Twin BF reissue
    B) 68 custom twin
    C) Roc Pro
    D) Hot rod Deluxe
    E) Super sonic 22

some thing to be aware of in general not every tube amp fails the same way , its just a pattern I noticed so far , this just an observation on my part

Appearently my computer had a cold and spelt Fender as Febder! LOL:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Digital Larry and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Febder - I thought that was a dodge on mods, for an unknown reason
    ;)

24 track likes this.
  3. 24 track

no my fingers havent woken up yet!

4. timfred

timfred Tele-Meister

Out of curiosity, what were the max voltage specs on the IC caps that you have seen? F&Ts are usually 500V I think?

Personally I have no issues with IC caps when correctly sized. Running a 450V cap in a 420V B+ amp is not a recipe for longevity.

When I have a choice (like when reliability is more important than vintage correctness) I try to stick to name brand caps used in high volume consumer electronics. These days that’s usually radial leaded caps from Nichicon, UCC, Panasonic. If I have B+ over 400V then I’ll put two 300V+ caps in series with bleeder resistors for the first node.

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

I have been able to match the the cap voltages used in the amps exactly with F&T's and the results have been dead quiet,
    IC caps tend to leak at a an earlier stage and get very noisy in the process for some reason , very weird

22uf , 500Volts
    220uf,300volts
    47uf, 500volt
    100uf, 100volts

dont forget these are in the newer style fender PCboard amps not the turret board amps ,

this is the issues I've been working on these amps

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.