FCS Journeyman neck finish

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by whetherkings, Aug 3, 2021.

1. whetherkings

whetherkings Tele-Meister

Are the FCS Journeyman necks just nitro with a bit of buffing/polishing to get the slight shine?

I have two light relic versions (see photo) that I love and have been trying to replicate the look and feel on a neck I’m finishing for another Tele.

I’ve managed to match the tint quite closely and will now apply the final clear coats before waiting a couple of weeks for final sanding and buffing/polishing.

Attached Files:

2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

My FCS Esquire is a « journeyman ».
    The back of the neck (and headstock) did not have any visible wear, but it was smooth and not sticky from the beginning. On the floor sheet it is said that the back of the neck was scotch-brite.

The fingerboard is rosewood but it is lacquered like a maple board. There were wear patterns out of the box, but not overdone. What you see on the pic is about 50% from me playing it everyday for 3 years: the lacquer is really thin and wears out pretty quickly.
    upload_2021-8-3_11-29-56.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-3_11-31-36.jpeg

upload_2021-8-3_11-31-57.jpeg

3. whetherkings

whetherkings Tele-Meister

That’s interesting - I have a couple of different scotch-brite pads I can try.

I wasn’t sure if they’d be too coarse and had wondered if Fender had used wet and dry or wire wool instead.

But I’ll definitely give the scotch-brite a try.

Thanks!

4. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

A scotch brite pad should not be more abrasive than steel wool but it tends to leave more scratch marks IME. On the plus side, you can use it harmlessly in proximity of the pickups.

5. sleeperNY

sleeperNY TDPRI Member

Use a gray or white scotch brite, they are a finer grit so a finer scratch.

Jim

Timbresmith1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.