FCG - Hello From Oklahoma

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Welcome, Floyd!
I was born in Vinita in 1952 and lived in Chelsea in 1955-1957, when we moved into the edge of Missouri.

I was just a toddler though I remember a few things. My dad had a gas station on 66. He also delivered freight that was taken off the train at the little depot, usually caskets for the funeral home.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hey fellow Tele-wranglers! Long time lurker, new member here. I’ve been following the TDPRI site for years and have gained so much knowledge from all of you. Thanks for being such a positive and generous group! I don’t know why it took me so long to join!
Welcome from DFW........

FloydCustom

TDPRI Member
Welcome, Floyd!
I was born in Vinita in 1952 and lived in Chelsea in 1955-1957, when we moved into the edge of Missouri.

I was just a toddler though I remember a few things. My dad had a gas station on 66. He also delivered freight that was taken off the train at the little depot, usually caskets for the funeral home.
Oh wow! What a small world! I’d love to know if that gas station is still there. There is one that is closed but still standing between Chelsea and Vinita that I drive by all the time.
Thanks for sharing! Great to meet you!

FloydCustom

TDPRI Member
A hearty welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico. Is that a pic of your guitar in your avatar? Just curious
Thank you! To answer your question, it is mine… well, it will be very soon! Haha! It’s actually a digital drawing I did of one my dad and I are building. We’re doing that one for me and an orange stained version for my best friend. Here’s a couple shots of the three of us working on them.
825DD171-6738-4AE6-9457-E68A4D7D0E25.jpeg
A42633CF-C4FE-471B-843C-286FCE7ED8AA.jpeg
2331A4A3-F9DC-4121-BBFA-CA423E9C88EE.jpeg

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Oh wow! What a small world! I’d love to know if that gas station is still there. There is one that is closed but still standing between Chelsea and Vinita that I drive by all the time.
Thanks for sharing! Great to meet you!
The gas station is no longer there. I believe that Lakeside State Bank is where it was. The reason we moved is that Route 66 was being widened, and my dad found out that the existing driveway to the station was already in the highway right-of-way. After my parents sold the gas station in the spring of 1957, we drove to Disneyland for a vacation. When we returned, my dad ran a little ice house and bait shop on Vine Street for the summer just north of the police station. We lived around the corner on Fifth Street, close to the Baptist church, which was under construction then.

There were still some poor families in Chelsea then who didn't have electric refrigerators, and my dad even delivered ice around town for a few of them.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
Howdy and Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas! 🤠

I lived in Durant (or, as the locals call it, “Dooo-Rant!”) from 2010 to 2013…made a lot of lifelong friends there…

Looks like you got some cool projects started there!

FloydCustom

TDPRI Member
The gas station is no longer there. I believe that Lakeside State Bank is where it was. The reason we moved is that Route 66 was being widened, and my dad found out that the existing driveway to the station was already in the highway right-of-way. After my parents sold the gas station in the spring of 1957, we drove to Disneyland for a vacation. When we returned, my dad ran a little ice house and bait shop on Vine Street for the summer just north of the police station. We lived around the corner on Fifth Street, close to the Baptist church, which was under construction then.

There were still some poor families in Chelsea then who didn't have electric refrigerators, and my dad even delivered ice around town for a few of them.
I know exactly where you’re talking about! In fact, some family friends our now building a retro-style service station on the opposite side of 66. We live on Hickory, so not far at all from where you were. We’re blessed to have an electric fridge though! ;)