Favourite Wine.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BLACKCAT69, Nov 6, 2006.

1. CountryShawn

CountryShawn Tele-Holic

By far and away my favourite would be Merlot.
    Pinot Noir would be second.

I really love the taste of a nicely aged, heavily french-oaked Merlot.

2. Big Smokey

Big Smokey Tele-Holic

16 Years in the wine industry...

Before moving to Nashville my day job was a wine buyer for a large wholesaler-distributor in Seattle. I got to taste tons of wine.
    Fave Reds:
    Domaine La Romanee Conti
    Mongeard Mugneret Vosne Romanee
    Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches
    Pesquera Gran Reserva 1995
    Aldo Conterno Barolo 1990
    DDO Laurene 2001
    Penfolds Grange Hermitage

Whites:
    JJ Prom Wehlenner Sonneenhuer Auslese 2001
    V. Girardin Puligny Montrachet
    Dog Point Sauv Blanc NZ

I miss that job!!!!:twisted:

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

long ago, i was into wine -- my favorite was Boone's Farm! scared me away from wine for life! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[actually, i do enjoy a merlot or shiraz once in a while.]

4. lagerhead

lagerhead TDPRI Member

pinot noir!

One of the best things about living in Portland, Oregon (in addition to the 30 microbreweries in town...) is the short drive to wine country. Forget about that Sideways movie...the Willamette Valley is Pinot Country!!

5. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Fortunate to be in No. CA near terrific growing areas.

Way too many, but for a start...

Cabs - Napa's Caymus, Whitehall Lane, Heitz Martha's Vineyard (the '75 was great). Black Sheep from Murphy's. The old Belle Rose Vineyard - gone now but what was great was that they used draft horses for the work. Jordan, Simi, Silver Oak - Alexander Valley. Viansa - cabs and varietals - their tasting room is near Infineon/Sears Point Raceway - vrooom.

CA Shenandoah Valley Zinfandels - Karly, Villa Toscana, and Renwood Old Vine.

Noceto Sangiovese and Terre Rouge Syrah - Shenandoah Valley

Pinot - Nearly anything from Carneros area.

Good everyday wines are Bogle and R.H. Phillips from Yolo Co.

In SF today for lunch - 7 Drake's Bay and Tomales Bay oysters, and a crab louie, with DeLorimier Sauvignon Blanc. Swan's Oyster Depot.

6. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Perfect thread for me - I grew up in the Wachau, one of the top regions for white wines here in Europe, and my dad is a winemaker by profession (my family has been making wine for at least 300 years).

These days, my dad has retired and is only making a couple of hundred bottles of Grüner Veltliner (the most popular local white wine variety) for the family every year, but my favorite white wine is our local Riesling, which comes in 'Smaragd' (heavier) and 'Federspiel' (lighter) versions.
    Not a big fan of non-Austrian white wines - Italian whites are too light for me, German Rieslings too sweet, I don't like oaked Chardonnay that much (like it is made in California and Australia), and most Mediterranean whites aren' t fresh & crisp enough for my taste. I do like Chablis, though, and some of the crisper New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.

With regards to red wine I'm not that patriotic - my favorites include Argentinian Malbec, Australian Shiraz, and the heavier, denser reds from Spain, Portugal and Sicily.
    Not a big fan of Cabernet Sauvignon, though.

Oh, and I also like those light Mediterranean Rosé wines that go very well with seafood.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.