Favourite photographers?

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
A great photographer, worked with him years ago.

Steve Schapiro, Photojournalist Who Bore Witness, Dies at 87

1643124053280.png

1643124122078.png

1643124075482.png

bdkphoto

Tele-Holic
The SF MoMA did a show of all the photography from either the Moon mission or maybe all those you mentioned. Massive prints, really breathtaking.
I think this was a project undertaken by Michael Light - a west coast photographer who got access to the original Apollo mission photography - scanned and printed the work with a fine art sensibility - There's a fantastic book called Full Moon, along with magnificent prints that were exhibited around the world. I saw the show at the Rose Hall Planetarium here in NYC. I have one of his prints in my collection, Earthrise from Apollo 8 - everyone know the color version, but the first frame was taken in B&W by Bill Anders. This is the one I chose.

bdkphoto

Tele-Holic
A great photographer, worked with him years ago.

Steve Schapiro, Photojournalist Who Bore Witness, Dies at 87

View attachment 944258

View attachment 944261

View attachment 944260
Love his portraits - especially the one of Magritte.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Chip Hooper was a friend of mine, going back to my days as a booking agent in the late '70s and early '80s. He got his start in Chicago and Minneapolis before moving on to Monterey Peninsula Artists in Carmel, CA, and then became worldwide head of music at of The Paradigm Talent Agency. Notably, he personally represented The Dave Matthews Band and Pfish, among many other major artists. He was an outstanding agent, but his real love was landscape photography. During his time in Carmel I think he absorbed the influence of Ansel Adams, and went on to develop his own style. There may be greater photographers, but the personal connection means something to me. Chip Hooper obituary

Chip Hooper_1082.jpg

Chip hooper AfternoonTasman.jpg

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
There was a Vietnam war photographer I loved the work of and can't remember now, I think he would have been in say Life Magazine but not gallery shows, at least during his lifetime.
Some photogs imbue tangible soul along with compelling visuals.
Of course there were many in that line of work but one I was fond of.
This one used a Nikon F, FWIW.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
There was a Vietnam war photographer I loved the work of and can't remember now, I think he would have been in say Life Magazine but not gallery shows, at least during his lifetime.
Maybe Don McCullin? He certainly used Nikon F - he tells the story of one stopping a bullet which would have hit him. But I don't know if it still worked.

His most famous picture is of a shell shocked GI in 1968
webimage-FD77473D-DE0D-470A-A81A2DA7844BA8DB.jpg

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I don’t think I can name a favourite. Favourite photography books might be more doable. Maybe.

Actually, if I consider my whole life, my fav ‘photo book’ might be National Geograohic, as my grandmothers collection was what started my interest in photography.

Photography is popular in Japan, so you can get some good exhibitions at times.

Pax/
Dean

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Vietnam was a goldmine for photojournalism. And mostly in lovely B&W since none of the daily papers ran color then. A lot of stunning work came out of that conflict.

Never mind that it was a disaster for the Vietnamese, and for the military personnel who went there...

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted

Larry Burrows?

1643156831741.png

1643156851158.png

1643156873654.png

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Maybe Don McCullin? He certainly used Nikon F - he tells the story of one stopping a bullet which would have hit him. But I don't know if it still worked.

His most famous picture is of a shell shocked GI in 1968 View attachment 944439

Damn.
I just spent a couple of hours google searching Vietnam war photographs and it’s all a blur of the horrors of war, plus that particular time when I was waiting my turn to go but then it ended.
None of the many names stuck out as one in particular so who knows what I was thinking.
That work was serious though, many photographers died getting those images.
Also my mistake forgetting every one had “imbued soul”.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I think this was a project undertaken by Michael Light - a west coast photographer who got access to the original Apollo mission photography - scanned and printed the work with a fine art sensibility - There's a fantastic book called Full Moon, along with magnificent prints that were exhibited around the world. I saw the show at the Rose Hall Planetarium here in NYC. I have one of his prints in my collection, Earthrise from Apollo 8 - everyone know the color version, but the first frame was taken in B&W by Bill Anders. This is the one I chose.
Good lookin' out, that was it... we bought the book for that one too.

I do love photobooks, grew up with them and have to be careful not to fetishize them, but did for a spell there and looked at my shelf again... some other guys I forgot about somehow.

- Wynn Bullock, who I have a set of Lenswork-associated giclee prints from. I should mat/frame them but love having them as is. Something to pull out every so often and be careful with versus something I get used to seeing on my wall. Always love stopping at this one.

1643157846558.png

- Carleton Watkins, another guy with a great 90s show at SF MoMA whose monograph I picked up (came with a set of glasses for his stereo images, so cool). Circa 1860... just incredible.

1643157772715.png

Looks like the Met did a much later show on him too.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
Damn.
I just spent a couple of hours google searching Vietnam war photographs and it’s all a blur of the horrors of war, plus that particular time when I was waiting my turn to go but then it ended.
None of the many names stuck out as one in particular so who knows what I was thinking.
That work was serious though, many photographers died getting those images.
Also my mistake forgetting every one had “imbued soul”.

Sorry. Two more tries, Tim Page and Eddie Adams

Probably the lease censured war ever photographed. Photographers could get on any chopper going anywhere, as long as their was room, and never had their film edited or confiscated.

Tim Page (the model for Dennis Hoppe's character in Apocalypse Now)

1643157984086.png

1643158004378.png

Eddie Adams (took the most famous shot of the war)

1643158042019.png

1643158081881.png

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Sorry. Two more tries, Tim Page and Eddie Adams

Probably the lease censured war ever photographed. Photographers could get on any chopper going anywhere, as long as their was room, and never had their film edited or confiscated.

Tim Page (the model for Dennis Hoppe's character in Apocalypse Now)

View attachment 944491

View attachment 944492

Eddie Adams (took the most famous shot of the war)

View attachment 944493

View attachment 944496
"Great" images. Highly recommend this doc (2001) about Nachtwey if you're not already familiar with it. Pretty good clip and treatise on why he does it.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
"Great" images. Highly recommend this doc (2001) about Nachtwey if you're not already familiar with it. Pretty good clip and treatise on why he does it.

I had the privilege of looking through his black and white contact sheets when he was with Magnum.

You could pick any frame off a contact sheet, ANY frame, and print it. I had never seen such consistency.

This image, of him at work in the middle of a gun fight, always amazed me.

1643161460243.png

hpiel

TDPRI Member
I had the privilege of looking through his black and white contact sheets when he was with Magnum.

You could pick any frame off a contact sheet, ANY frame, and print it. I had never seen such consistency.

This image, of him at work in the middle of a gun fight, always amazed me.

View attachment 944501
I ve met him " Jim" in Nov 10 1989 at the Berlin wall, I worked for Reuters , and he was there for magnum, great guy, contact till today,
another friend of mine since 20 years, through my Leica work is Nick Ut ;-)
this is my comment as a new Nacho broadcaster owner in the future ;-)

Last edited:

Kevin_Hall

TDPRI Member
I do photographing from times to times. It helps me express my feelings, thoughts or just pay attention to a problem. Though it may seem surprising to you, but Elon Musk taught me how take photos. Here are the rules that I follow by his example:

1. Your work should be useful
2. Do not strive for step by step improvement, but for radicalism and determination
3. Constantly look for negative criticism, which means that you should think that you can be wrong

But what about my favourite photographer...

“Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

hcb a boy.jpg

Last edited: