Favourite photographers?

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I was shocked to see how long it took for Cartier-Bresson's name to come up! A zen master of "casual perfection." He never took more than one shot of a given subject.

Let me add one: WeeGee! (Arthur Fellig)

(EDIT: misattributed photo! Sorry! Damn you, Google Image Search! And I missed an earlier mention of Cartier-Bresson. Not my day...)

F8843499-59AA-4FD8-A474-F8AE963BF099.jpeg

Last edited:

bdkphoto

Tele-Holic
It's funny- when you post Ken's work I just think of all the folks from Contact Press, David Burnett, Annie, - my former neighbor Guy was one of the original editors there, then I think of VII, James Nachtwey their folks and it just goes on and on...

Eugene Richards
Jodi Cobb
Lucien Perkins
Tyler Hicks
Susan Meiselas
JP Laffont
The Turnleys....

And all the agencies that are no more, or a shadow of themselves Sigma, Gamma Liaison, Black Star. So sad to see what PJ has become without print and staff jobs to support it.

And photojournalism is only one small part of photography as a whole.

I loved doing magazine work - at the height of it in the 90's/00 I was shooting for Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, Historic Preservation, Washington Post, NYTimes, New York Magazine, Landscape Architecture even the occasional gig for Rolling Stone. I taught at ICP for a while, nowadays I've moved into a bit of advertising, just finished a book on NYC's supertalls, and spending more time working on personal art projects and shows - the last few years have been pretty good on that front - I've had work in some museum and gallery shows here in NYC.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
It's funny- when you post Ken's work I just think of all the folks from Contact Press, David Burnett, Annie, - my former neighbor Guy was one of the original editors there, then I think of VII, James Nachtwey their folks and it just goes on and on...

Eugene Richards
Jodi Cobb
Lucien Perkins
Tyler Hicks
Susan Meiselas
JP Laffont
The Turnleys....

And all the agencies that are no more, or a shadow of themselves Sigma, Gamma Liaison, Black Star. So sad to see what PJ has become without print and staff jobs to support it.

And photojournalism is only one small part of photography as a whole.

I loved doing magazine work - at the height of it in the 90's/00 I was shooting for Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, Historic Preservation, Washington Post, NYTimes, New York Magazine, Landscape Architecture even the occasional gig for Rolling Stone. I taught at ICP for a while, nowadays I've moved into a bit of advertising, just finished a book on NYC's supertalls, and spending more time working on personal art projects and shows - the last few years have been pretty good on that front - I've had work in some museum and gallery shows here in NYC.

A world that is gone. Like the woodcut industry a century before it.

I’m old enough to remember getting the telex that told you what photo slides the Concord was bringing from Paris when I worked in the Sygma New York office, in the late 80’s.

Cjteleforum

TDPRI Member
I was shocked to see how long it took for Cartier-Bresson's name to come up! A zen master of "casual perfection." He never took more than one shot of a given subject.

Let me add one: WeeGee! (Arthur Fellig)

View attachment 943569
I like Weegee too. But isn't this an anonymous crime scene photo from Evidence by Luc Sante?

EDIT Yeah, I just looked at my photo books. That photo was taken by the NYPD, not Weegee.

Last edited:

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Cartier-Bresson was mentioned in the first post!

Tony Ray-Jones

View attachment 943621

View attachment 943617

David Hern

View attachment 943618
View attachment 943619
I'd forgotten them. Another photographer of the everyday from the same sort of period was Raymond Moore.
allonby1982.jpg

I've recently discovered this young (to me) landscape photographer. Always entertaining videos on his YouTube channel and beautiful images. (Though after a while I find myself wishing he'd do something a bit grittier.)

Loads of new names on this thread. I've had a good few years away from photography after being very occupied with it up to the 90s and it's good to have some new leads to follow up.

Last edited:

SneakyPup

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Damn you're a sneaky pup this wasn't here when I posted Mr C-B!

And regarding C.B.,
He always composed the shot with no cropping, insisting on the prints showing the edges of the negative. That always impressed me, that he didn't rely on cropping later to get a good composition.
Something very pure about shooting with a simple Leica, prime lens and using your feet to get in position for the best shot. In this day of photoshop and post processing effects where you can't trust the reality of what you're seeing in the image.

Attachments

• cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 28

bdkphoto

Tele-Holic
A world that is gone. Like the woodcut industry a century before it.

I’m old enough to remember getting the telex that told you what photo slides the Concord was bringing from Paris when I worked in the Sygma New York office, in the late 80’s.
Were you shooting or editing back then, either way I'm guessing we have many friends/collegues in common. I was in DC back in those days but worked for a bunch of NY based magazines.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Two interesting threads today about favourite public art and favourite paintings.

Any favourite photographers?

I love the work of the great American landscape photographers, early masters like Lartigue and Atget, and classics like Bill Brandt and Cartier-Bresson. But for 40 years I've been hooked on the work of John Blakemore who creates beautiful images out of nearly nothing.

View attachment 943384 View attachment 943385

I can only support all of the photographers mentioned, perhaps add David Bailey for fashion and inspiring a film by Antonioni......
but possibly my most influential artist is one @bdkphoto listed, Duane Michels. He doesn't just capture a moment, he often uses sequences to tell a story, and sometimes writes directly on the image. He even inspired me to buy a vintage camera like he uses, an Argus C3. It has a separate "shutter cocking" from the film advance, making it easier to make multiple exposures on the same frame of film. He also often uses camera movement and slow shutter speeds to blur his images. Very dream-like and surreal.