Favourite envelope filter?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by dlew919, Jul 7, 2020.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I started a thread on fuzz which got some great responses. Thought I’d try one on my favourite effect - the envelope filter.

Like fuzz they are all different. Like fuzz they respond to how you play. They can be capricious, unpredictable and chaotic.

So what’s your favourite?

I have four: the boss FT 2 dynamic filter bought new. Now a collectors item apparently. Didn’t know how to use it (despite the manual). Bought it because I wanted a wah pedal and it was cheaper. So just turned it up and loved it.

Boss AW3. Possibly the sanest of them all. Has a vowel setting where you can make it say a variety of sounds.

Ehx q-tron. Fully unpredictable. Copy of the mutron. Settings only last for one play. No terrible sounds though.

Guyatone funky box. Tube circuit. Tone for years. But has a high whistle I suspect is based on the wrong power source. It’s 12 volt negative. Connection. Which I have. But I suspect the 1000ma is too strong. The pedal is funky though.

So what about you? Favourite envelope filter? Best use? Favourite amp and pickup combo?

Let’s hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fretting out likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Probably a wah...which I rarely use.

But when something calls for it, it's the best thing for the job because it can be used dynamically (like most players do) or "set and forget."

dlew919 likes this.
  3. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

I have been through a few but I kept the mad professor snow white and an old xotic robotalk that also has a sample & hold function. I keep the snow white on a pedalboard and the xotic in my studio, I might think thats the best sounding one of those two, a bit "fatter".
    But snow white sounds great and is a bit more predictable!

dlew919 likes this.
  4. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Love Pedal Rubber Chicken.

[​IMG]

Ages ago I had the tiny purple Guyatone WAH ROCKER WR2. They seem to be going for decent money these days but either I didn't like it &/or (more likely) I didn't know how to use it. So it got sold off long time back.

Early last year I got the Donner Dynamic Wah. Turned out to be a pretty decent $26 pedal. That's what led me to spending more money on the Rubber Chicken. The Rubber Chicken is smoother and more musical, but the Donner was a great re-introduction to envelope filters.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The one I used most recently was the MXR bass model, on guitar. Great filter. Highly recommended. I was playing a lot with a Dead band and using it for the Jerry stuff. Did the job quite admirably.

Gunerius and dlew919 like this.
  6. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

First and only is a VFE Mini Mu...not gassing for any other. It took me awhile to get a handle on it and there are some things that still perplex me. It seemingly has a wide range and sensitivity. Idk what you call the back end of the "wah," but it was unwieldly and couldn't get the "? attack and release?" to sound right ... until stumbling across using my active optical volume pedal before the Mu. Now its great fun with tons of control and large pallete. However the latest version may work better without the volume pedal

dlew919 likes this.
  7. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

I picked up a Keeley Neutrino several months ago and I’m still trying to get a handle on it.

Sounds great, though, warm and musical vowel-ing.

Editing to say: While it sounds good and keeps you on your toes, some its settings (basically every switch that high passes your signal) are kind of useless. Keep to the mids and bass.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    dlew919 likes this.
  8. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

My favourite is Carl Martin Classic Optical Envelope. I also have an Ibanez Tone Lok -series and Recovery fx Phantom Operator. I used to have an EHX Q-Tron.

They are all ok for different reasons. Carl Martin is the most tweakable, the easiest to find the right tone and sensitivity.

dlew919 likes this.
  9. John O

John O Tele-Meister

this one, DOD 440 reissue. i only use it on a couple tunes, sounds different with different guitars/p'ups, so i do have to dial it in for each gig, and need to remember to turn my compressor off prior to using this, sounds better without it.

dod 440.jpg

dlew919 likes this.
  10. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hey dlew919 ! As you said, envelope filters are all different, like fuzz. But with fuzz pedals you have families : FF/Muff/ToneBenders/etc... while all envelope filters behave and sound different.

I've had a few filters along the years : Guyatone funky box, Maxon AF9, old EHX Q-Tron+ and Q-Tron mini big boxes, new micro Q-Tron, MP Snow White, Yesman, 3Leaf GR2 , Tru-Tron3X, Analogman MXR filter, Source Audio Spectrum... Wow I realise I spent too much money on this (luckily for me most of them I have sold) !

I was after a funky quacky sound, not the typical Jerry tone ! I found out that many of them got me lost in the band mix (7 piece funk band) because they kill too much of my attack and brightness (that's what they do ;)) I finally found the solution that worked for me : I put the Q-Tron mini in the loop of a Barge Concept VB-jr blender that I can control with my foot. This way I can change on the fly the wetness of the effect from subtle to full quack !

By the way I see you're in Sydney. I've lived in Neutral bay for 6 months a few years ago and have loved every aspect of the town, from the CON classes to the beaches or japanese food :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    dlew919 likes this.
  11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I like the Maxon AF-9, but it is a bit more Bobby than Jerry.

Stiles and dlew919 like this.
  12. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly - whereas you can talk about fuzz faces or big muff style you don’t hear ‘boss envelope filter’. In my view they’re the most personal of the pedals.

PS - Sydney is a great city. I live on the other side of the harbour but there’s some great food over your end too.

13. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister

Still getting to know my Wampler Terraform, but very impressed with the envelope filter so far.

dlew919 likes this.
  14. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

EHX Doctor Q and Bass Balls for me. But there are certainly many others that are as good !

A+!

dlew919 likes this.
  15. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Rubber Chicken for sure!

Churchjack, FenderLover and dlew919 like this.
  16. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Still have my MXR from the late 70's but also got a Rubber Chicken recently. It's quite versatile and offers more control. Both are keepers.

WilburBufferson likes this.
  17. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

This probably won't help you because they are hard to find, and expensive when you do, but this is my all-time fave: the original MXR envelope filter. I like it more than the MAXON, Mad Professor, DOD. Haven't tried many others but I also like the FT-2 dynamic filter that you have which is more wah like IMO.

photo 3.JPG

FenderLover likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.