Favourite Chick Flick

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Feb 24, 2009.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The Devil Wears Prada.

2. jwj4856

jwj4856 Tele-Holic

I guess I actually have two:

1) When in High School in 1968 my girlfriend wanted to go see Romeo and Juliet, it was during hunting season and I had been hunting all day and was tired so we went to the movie and I slept through the first show then woke up and watched the second one with her and was actually surprised and thought it was actually a pretty good show.

2) My wife wanted to go see Steel Magnolias, especially since I was born and raised in Natchitoches, La where the movie is originally written about and graduated high school with the girl (Shelby) that the show was written about, her real name was Susan Harling and I also knew her brother Bobby who wrote the book and knew the rest of her family pretty well also. So I actually wanted to go see it to see how near reality the shopw would be and was really surprised that it is for the most part pretty much like everything was in Natchitoches back then, Shelby was very close to being like Susan and her Daddy in the show was a dead ringer for her real Dad. The little house that one of the actresses Daryl Hanna) lived in in the show was one of my Dad's rental houses, and of course when filming I got to meet Dolly, that was great.

3. yanick

yanick TDPRI Member

I agree "The Notebook" and "Love Actually" were pretty good...

On the subject of chick flick, my brother made me laugh the other day when he pointed out that "Dirty Dancing" is to women what "Star Wars" is to men...

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, since I started this thread, I should confess that I thoroughly enjoy many of the the Merchant-Ivory movies (Room with a View, Remains of the Day, Howard's End), and I also enjoy the Jane Austen movies, especially the recent Keira Knightly film. I'll always watch When Harry Met Sally when it's on TV. Also, I think Bridges of Madison County is one of Clint Eastwood's finest films.
    Does this make me too sensitive to play a Tele? :)

5. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

yes

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Gunny sez: "What in THE hell?"

7. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Tele-Holic

No way is The Princess Bride a chick flick! Stoner classic, maybe. Awesome movie, definitely. :cool:

My chick flick vote goes to Meet Joe Black.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Roadman and Getbent, you're not fooling anybody.
    Roadman, I'm guessing you shed a tear or two during An Officer and a Gentleman.
    And Getbent, I bet you can name all the characters from The English Patient. Am I right? Huh? Huh?

9. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Terms of Endearment..

Jack Nicholson and Shirley MacLaine give great performances, both win Oscars..

10. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I tend to agree with Roger Ebert that if a "chick flick" is any good then it's just a good movie. If it's crap then it's a chick flick.

Having said that, I'd have to go with City of Angels.

11. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I must be a big softy cos one of my favourite films is Sleepless In Seattle. I also enjoy Notting Hill and Love Actually and Four Weddings and a Funeral (although I can't stand Hugh Grant!).

And Dirty Dancing's quite good as well........

12. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

hahaha

13. CHAZ2

CHAZ2 Tele-Meister

Well i hate to admit it but i do like the odd ROMOCOM.......i.e. The Wedding Singer.......do you think i have a problem?

14. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I agree with the awesome and classic points, but come on people. It's a fairy tale about a princess. That has to qualify.
    At least we all agree it's a great movie.

15. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I sit there dreaming of:

[​IMG]

She sits there dreaming of:

[​IMG]

...and we both can pretend we're not ugly until the morning. :D:lol:

16. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

my wife goes on chick flick watching marathons when she's feeling especially, ahh, chicky. her standby favorites are

father of the bride - steve martin plays the bumbling dad who just doesn't get it when his daughters wedding cost a fortune and he doesn't even get to enjoy it. it sends the TERRIBLE message that the man will provide for the circus wedding and just shut up and pay for it.

two weeks notice - funny enough and I'm ok with it

steel magolias - snooze

any wedding movie - snooze

my wife also likes thankfully the godfather, goodfellas, and old war flicks. and baseball and football.

17. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

Moonstruck. I love that movie. Especially when Nicolas Cage yells, "I LOST MY HAND!" What an awesome cast.

Princess Bride is one of my favorites but I wouldn't call it a chick flick.
    -Mr. N.

18. Eric Karonen

Eric Karonen RIP

Oops. The Long Kiss Goodnight!

19. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I don't know if I'd think of The Piano and Princess Bride as "chick flicks" per se, but I do like both those films and can see why someone would classify them as such.

My wife has little patience for most chick flicks herself, so I don't have to suffer through a lot of them.

However, one of her favorite movies is Out of Africa with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford. I think it's a pretty amazing film myself.

20. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I don't consider movies like About a Boy, Love Actually, the Princess Bride, etc., to be chick flicks. They're not "guy" flicks, I guess. But they're just good movies, as was said. Generally, they're either comedies with some drama in them, or dramas heavily shrouded in comedy. But a chick flick? Nah.

A chick flick is something that really would only (typically) appeal to women, sorta like how most beat-em-up Chuck Norris movies or things like the Fast and the Furious typically only appeal to men.

Just because a movie like Love Actually or About A Boy has Hugh Grant, and has romance in it, doesn't make it a chick flick. Notting Hill, while we're on the topic of Hugh Grant, is also pretty good. They all have that wonderful brit-humor in them that I dig. Love Actually has what I feel is one of the best openings/closings of a movie that I've seen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.