Favourite bands without a bass player

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I once saw a TV appearance of The Captain and Tennile......Both Toni and Daryl on keyboards, with a guitarist and a drummer. Toni sang, played keys and ( I believe) a Rhodes keyboard bass with her left hand.....very impressive.

Boxla

Tele-Holic
I'll mix it up and add my favorite band with no guitars and pretty much only a bass. Along with great horns and drums....Morphine. One of the best ever.

effzee

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Oh goody, I love threads where I can post a JSBX video or two! 🔥🔥

jdgladw

Tele-Meister
Since this is a standard setup for garage punk, here's a list of some of the big 'uns of the genre:

Cheater Slicks

Bassholes

Gories

The Oblivians

Gibson Bros.

Dex Romweber has already been mentioned (RIP Sara) or I would have included his bands here.

tomkatf

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
The doors
Live, yes Manzarak covered the bass lines with a keyboard bass. In the studio, several bass players, most often Doug Lubahn(RIP)...

from the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia:

"One day, Clear Light's producer, Paul Rothchild, asked Lubahn to work on sessions for The Doors' second album; as the group lacked a bass guitarist, uncredited session bassist Larry Knechtel had doubled Ray Manzarek's keyboard bass lines on select tracks from their debut album.[2][5] In contrast to Knechtel, Lubahn played on seven of the ten tracks on Strange Days (1967) as a credited contributor.[5] The Doors invited Lubahn to join the group as a full-time member during the Strange Days sessions, using Rothchild as a messenger; however, Lubahn declined the offer for multiple reasons, including his refusal to leave Clear Light.[2] He also played on all but two tracks on Waiting For The Sun (1968) and, albeit less prolifically, on The Soft Parade (1969).[2][5]"

Double Stop

Tele-Afflicted
I love them but, holy hades. The first time I witnessed E.N I had to hide behind a concrete pillar a few times to protect myself from Alexander Hacke's bass.
Yeah, I guess they technically at times "use" a bass, but not in the conventional sense. I have yet to see them live, so fingers crossed.

SnidelyWhiplash

Poster Extraordinaire
Live, yes Manzarak covered the bass lines with a keyboard bass. In the studio, several bass players, most often Doug Lubahn(RIP)...

from the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia:

"One day, Clear Light's producer, Paul Rothchild, asked Lubahn to work on sessions for The Doors' second album; as the group lacked a bass guitarist, uncredited session bassist Larry Knechtel had doubled Ray Manzarek's keyboard bass lines on select tracks from their debut album.[2][5] In contrast to Knechtel, Lubahn played on seven of the ten tracks on Strange Days (1967) as a credited contributor.[5] The Doors invited Lubahn to join the group as a full-time member during the Strange Days sessions, using Rothchild as a messenger; however, Lubahn declined the offer for multiple reasons, including his refusal to leave Clear Light.[2] He also played on all but two tracks on Waiting For The Sun (1968) and, albeit less prolifically, on The Soft Parade (1969).[2][5]"

20221027_203056.jpg

20221027_203204.jpg