1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite type of delay...tell us the pedal...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Feb 2, 2021.

Favorite Type of Delay

1. Give me analog, or give me death

2. Tape echo, echo, echo, echo...

3. 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 Delay

4. I march to a different spinning drum (Echorec)

5. Other ? Please state below...

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A vintage AD-9 is the best 300ms analog delay I’ve heard. I had a vintage DM-2 with the MN3005 chip and the AD-9 just had a bounce and character to it that couldn’t be coaxed out of the DM-2.

I have probably more delays than I need.

Big box DMM modded by Analogman for 850ms delay with 4 MN3005 chips.

Vintage AD-9

Walrus ARP-87

Empress Tape Echo

Boss DD-3 with the long chip

But they each do something that none of the others can do.

2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

I think you have to go a long way to beat the Boss DD20, you can pick them up s/h for cheap.
    The analog setting is pretty good (based on the DM2) and has all the usual digital types. It has 4 memories, tap tempo, ms or bpm display.
    Its boring but it does lots of stuff pretty well. I've had mine for years - there's no other delay pedal offering 23 seconds of delay at this price :cool:
    My main gripe is you can't turn off the dry signal in stereo. Ho hum.

[​IMG]

kLyon likes this.
  3. orbit_caster

orbit_caster TDPRI Member

My first delay was a DOD Performer 585. The switch went bad pretty quickly, so I duct-taped surgical tubing across the top of the switch... Moved on to an Ibenez DM1000... Then bought a true tape Space Echo unit from Jeff Buckley's sound guy - foolishly sold that in a period of financial difficulty. Now I run a Boss DD-500. Gotta say it's pretty decent at covering most needs. But I do miss the DM1000 and the Space Echo.

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

source audio nemsis- tape deal & oil can delay

5. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I'm with you OP--I like the tape-like delays. My favorite right now is a Dunlop Echoplex.

6. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Current owned and in use ...

Empress Vintage Modified Super Delay on the tape selection.
    Korg SDD-3000 pedal on the tape or stereo panning selection.
    Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo.
    Dawner Prince Boonar multi-head Drum Echo.

Recent purchase because of it's MIDI capabilities .... Source Audio Nemesis Delay. The jury's still out.

I wore out a Line 6 DL4 delay modeler many years ago just because it was so much fun to mess around with and so simple to use. It would never be a favorite tonally but it always brought a smile to my face.

I had an original Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport. It had a bit of noise in the back round but was pretty well built and simple to use.

I had a Hughes & Kettner Replex tube driven tape echo delay pedal for many years. Great sounds. Very true sounding tape tones. Built like a tank. As big and as heavy as a tank. It took up the pedal board space of two full size Wah wahs. Very expensive when new but I bought a used one that worked perfectly.

I purchased a Wampler Faux Tape Echo. I know the company is pretty popular but I wasn't impressed. Back round noise at higher volumes and a noticeable clock sound. It had quite a bit of functionality but the repeat tones were uninspiring to my ears. I sold it a few months later.

I bought a Boss DM-2 around the time of their release. The repeats kind of broke up in a cool way but the delay time was pretty limited. It was quite different from my preferred tape or echo delays but seemed to work well with the gain levels of the time. Well built. Lasted many years.
    I also owned an Ibanez AD-9 at around the same time. Although it looked and worked very much like the DM-2 the Ibanez repeats had a different sound to them. Not better or worse. Maybe slightly cleaner for the first couple of repeats and then dropping off quicker into a broken up sound. I actually lost this one. Got home one night. Unloaded all my gear. No freakin' AD-9.
    I purchased a used Electro- Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man but, unlike the rest of the world, never really bonded with it. To my ears it sounded good but not great. The switches, layout and box all felt and looked mechanical. Uninspiring. Larger than it needed to be. I sold it within a year.
    I bought a Boss Waza Craft DM-2W a few years ago thinking it would be similar to the original but with longer delay times. The original / vintage switched position was similar but not true to the original DM-2 tones and the modern selection that offered more delay time took it even farther away from the original DM-2 tones. I sold it within a few months of purchase.

I've had a bunch of Boss DD pedals over the years plus an RV that included delay.
    The very best for tone, in my opinion, were the DD-3 and the RV-3. The RV-3 was a Reverb / Delay pedal. Both were excellent Digital delays.
    The DD-5 added a bit of functionality but the tone suffered for it.
    The Boss DD-20 Giga Delay was like everything digital delay in a box. You could do just about anything but, tonally it sounded uninspired or sterile. Nothing that would really grab you. Still, because of its functionality, I keep it on a spare board for maybe five years.
    Out of all the Boss digital delays the RV-3 was used for the the longest time. At least a dozen years. Probably longer. The DD-3 died about seven years in but was heavily used during that time.

Tape / Echo will always be my favorite type for tone and Digital rules for functionality. Analog is very cool when dialed in correctly but offer limited controls and can be finicky to get just right. Set up perfectly they can be dreamy and inspiring, but if you don't want to take the time tweaking to perfection, (once I got their I slapped electrical tape over the knobs), just go with tape / echo or digital.

Cletus Buttwhump likes this.
  7. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

The first delay I ever got to play with was a ‘70s Echoplex loaned to me for about a week. Just long enough to get way out of hand. I would say that I still prefer tape delay, but since I have never tried one since, I voted analog. I’m not sure what it is I prefer, but the digital delays I have tried just haven’t done it for me. I bought a Donner Tap Delay, which can be switched between analog, digital, and reverse, but I just leave it on analog. Well, every once in a while I try to figure out what the heck reverse will do for me, but it ends badly.

8. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I'm an outlier with the Strymon DiG as my favorite. I much, much prefer the clean, modifiable, controllable, and "double" capabilities of this unit over the pure analog unit (vintage Ibanez AD9) I used to use. The Strymon makes the AD9 sound murky and sloppy in comparison, and while that is a plus in some applications, it doesn't work for me anymore. The clarity (not harsh! not trebly!) of the Strymon is really something else.

J. Bonkosky likes this.
  9. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I have three options, all great.

The one I use most is a catalinbread belle epoch.

I have a DOD rubberneck. It's impressive for a bucket brigade delay. It does some neat tricks, but mostly I like that it sounds good. The preamp seems nuetral and doesn't make the dry signal ugly.

The third option is two boss DD-6s connected to a true bypass effects loop pedal, with an adjustable feedback loop on a momentary switch. One DD-6 is nice, but it can't land flying saucers like a pair of them with a feedback loop.

Grandy likes this.
  10. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

I'm curious about details on why that JHS (the Panther Cub, I suppose...) didn't work out... I was interested in it but haven't had one... what did you think?

11. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

Well, I've got an EHX Memory Boy Delixe and it's my only delay so it's my favorite by default. :)

Jokes aside, I am very happy with it. I just find it can be a bit gainy, but with a bit of adjustment, it's great!

12. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

I picked analog. SD Vapor Trail is my #1. DOD Rubberneck a close second. I haven’t tried everything under the sun, but those two are good enough to mostly keep my GAS level under control.

13. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

I love delays, my current favorite is the Walrus D1.
    The Zooms are a bargain.
    The TC Flashback is pretty good, but it's really big.
    I still love my old 80's memory man and Roland analog (the little red one...), but I can't travel with them.
    That first big Line 6 one (the green one?) was really good for digital, as are all the Strymons (I wish the Volante wasn't so big...))

14. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

The reverb on the RE-20 is pretty good, roughly equivalent to the stock reverb you get on better quality amps IMO. I use just a little bit to complement a slapback echo.

15. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

Analog delay for slapback. Way Huge AP is my choice, especially, since now it available in Smalls enclosure, so it's not take too much space.

Different "Tape" style delays are for everything else. Like to put it before some dirt for thicker and smoother tone:
    Catalinbread BED - For more straight delay sound. Using only in EP3 mode.
    Boss RE-20 - Great for both single-tap and multi-tap echoes. Modern classic
    Catalinbread Echorec - Simple, but instant great sound on any settings.
    Empress Tape Delay - A bit flat on guitar, but works great with Moog synths.
    Strymon Volante - A lot of possibilities and fun. Most user friendly "Tape" delay from Strymon.
    [​IMG]

16. choops

choops TDPRI Member

J.Rockett Immortal Echo for me.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I am the extremely happy owner of an Echorec and can't see myself let it go for another delay. It sounds amazing, and can do everything from simple slapback to complete madness with a lot of tasty and useful in-betweens. Adjustable gain is a massively useful feature that I'd like to see on ANY "ambient" pedal.

CWP0126 likes this.
  18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not a big fan of modulation or other time-based effects, but I do find a digital delay to be somewhat of a necessity for some stuff. I rarely use one, but when I do, it's the Donner Yellow Fall. Dirt cheap & a surprisingly wide range of control.

19. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The only delay I've ever owned or used is this DOD 585. Love it.

s-l300.jpg

Mirrorshades and northernguitar like this.
  20. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

have 2 of these. I have so much delay If I want I can play today and listen to it tomorrow :).
    have the plugins too for the laptop. FREE of course.

[​IMG]

kLyon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.