Favorite "Transparent" Overdive ??

JamesFlames714

TDPRI Member
My Blues Driver(Boss BD-2) got stolen out of my car recently. I liked the sound of it a lot but figured I'd explore my options before I replace it. OCDs seem cool, Klon clones seem interesting(Mike Ness is my tone-god & he uses a centaur), anything that will make the bridge pickup in my tele sound extremely nasty/crunchy/rude through a blackface style amp in a way that retains some twang and doesn't get into metallic/high gain territory. Is the blues driver the best bang for my buck? Curious what other people think.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I really like the ROG Peppermill for what I think you're describing (hard to say as this talking about sounds deal is tricky)
You won't find any big manufacturers making one though, surprised no one's jumped on that yet

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have a BD2, and a TS9 I dont like either ( to generic sounding for my likes) But they were gifts so the now live in the studio , I have a Reagun distortion has beautiful cleans , and a BK Butler Tube driver that is outstanding in front of a tube amp .

I hate theives ,so sorry for the loss ,
I always felt they should have their genetalia grafted to their forhead so you could see them comming a mile away

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Not really dirty but it’s a game changer. Always on.
1664564452096.jpeg

kLyon

Tele-Afflicted
Blackstone Appliance Mosfet overdrive is my favorite.... but any of the Bluesbreaker variants are pretty good, as well.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The BD-2 is not really a "transparent" overdrive, so if that's the sound you're looking for, I think you're looking for another BD-2 or something similar. I owned one for a very brief while and didn't like the way it colored my tone. I tried a Keeley one for a while and it was better. Actually, I thought it was less bad and didn't get the hype at all. Neither one made me go "whoa."

I made my way to the OCD and loved it. It's not technically a "transparent" pedal, but it colored my tone minimally and I couldn't find a setting I didn't like. I bought a second one for my other pedalboard.

Then I tried a Timmy. Incredible. It can do everything the OCD could do plus some, and it colors my tone less. I bought the MXR version as well and it's almost as good, but sometimes seems like it's missing a bit of the magic of the Paul C. one. (I go back and forth on that.)

On the way to the Timmy, I tried a bunch of different things:

- Nobels ODR-1. Blandest overdrive I ever heard.
- Various clean boosts. (Few of these are actually clean except at very low settings.) The Bad Bob was my favorite, in no small part because I'd been friendly with Robbie. Eventually I realized my clean boost needs were best met with a compressor set to just make things more loud.
- A Barber Gain Changer. Good, but wasn't what I was looking for at the time.
- A boutique Tube Screamer copy. I think I just wanted to prove to myself again that I don't care for a Tube Screamer. I think they make everyone sound the same in a way that I don't like.
- Z.Vex SHO. I got it for a clean boost and it wasn't clean. It was glorious, but not clean, and at the time I didn't want overdrive.
- Mooer Dumbler. Can find one setting I like, but I like it a lot. I used it in addition to the Timmy to get a sound with more bite.
- Mosky Silver Horse. Maybe I got a bad one, because I could mostly just make it produce a harsh, trebly boost, and sometimes feedback. Returned.
- MXR Raijin Drive. It was a Stupid Deal of the Day and I bit. I liked it better than either the DS-1 or TS-9 circuits that it's based on, but not as much as the Timmy. It didn't last long.

I have ordered a Duke of Tone because I'm bored, wanted a new toy, and Sweetwater sent me a $10 coupon.

Last edited:

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
If you're after a Klon klone try a Wampler Tumnus. Even beat the Klon in a couple shoot outs I've seen.

Mine's always on! Seem like players like the mini better, which is what I have and love it!

CalebAaron666

Tele-Holic
Nocturne Fluid Drive.
It used to be called the Detroit Casket.
Regardless of the name, it’s great for getting crunch/drive without changing the tone of your guitar drastically.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
i had a Fulltone Fulldrive for awhile. i wasn't crazy about it, but it really made the bridge p-up of a tele come alive.

otherwise, i use the JHS Morning Glory as a "transparent" od.

Reactions: BB

Big Dave Simpson

NEW MEMBER!
I have a BD2, and a TS9 I dont like either ( to generic sounding for my likes) But they were gifts so the now live in the studio , I have a Reagun distortion has beautiful cleans , and a BK Butler Tube driver that is outstanding in front of a tube amp .

I hate theives ,so sorry for the loss ,
I always felt they should have their genetalia grafted to their forhead so you could see them comming a mile away
I love my old butler tube driver in front of all of my Fender amps. ( Not as much in front of my Vox AC 30 or a Marshall ) As far as a transparent drive, my always on pedal is a Wampler Tumnus deluxe.
TS 9 for rockin’ Strats. Original MXR Distortion plus for Gibsons with Humbuckers.
Anybody else use guitar specific pedals.