Favorite Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Aug 20, 2020.

1. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

I grew some "lemon boy" tomatoes which were very tasty.
    This year I have a mix of heirloom mystery tomato plants gifted by a neighbor.
    I've got some orange cherries, some large multi-lobed heirlooms which will be huge by the time they are ready to pick, and one which has just started to fruit.

uriah1 and M2roadwarrior like this.
  2. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

When we moved in to our first home that we owned in 1980, about 3 months after we moved in, the sewer pipe leading from the house in the back yard collapsed, flooding the yard with effluent. We got the pipe fixed, but the next spring we were covered over with volunteer cherry tomato plants. The tomatoes from those plants were like a cherry bomb of flavor going off in the mouth, the flavor was so intense! I've never had more flavorful tomatoes before or since.

naneek and M2roadwarrior like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's impossible to kill tomato seeds! I always have tomato plants growing out of the compost heap.

naneek likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Sun Gold "yellow" Cherry
    Red cherry
    Heirloom beefsteak
    19 plants overall.

Some of the cherry tomatoes are about to ripen. My two step daughter's cherry starts that I gave them have already started putting out "yummy" fruit, but they both live in warmer valleys east of us.

naneek, M2roadwarrior and CajunJ like this.
  5. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

I'll be canning salsa soon...will be getting my produce at the Farmer's Market. Whatever tomatoes they are offering, I will get a variety.

uriah1 likes this.
  6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just finished a chicken wrap sandwich with a nice home grown tomato chopped up on it.. yum.

Personally, I think one of the best things in the world, is a big, ridged, ripe, ugly, just picked, garden grown beefsteak tomato sliced up on toast with a "little" mayo and some home grown cucumber and just a touch of raw sweet onion. What a sandwich, I can seldom only eat one...

Sweet little cherry tomatoes are great too though...

Any fresh vine ripe home grown tomato is a thing of rare deliciousness, I couldn't call any one a favorite.

I forget what fresh tomatoes really taste like every winter.

uriah1 and naneek like this.
  7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

naneek and 6stringcowboy like this.
  8. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Early Girl, they’re foolproof.

Beefsteak, but you have to keep an eye on them.

Roma, great paste tomatoes.

naneek and M2roadwarrior like this.
  9. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    red and yellow torpedino's :) just had them .. just super tasty !

[​IMG]

uriah1, tery, naneek and 1 other person like this.
  10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Just got our first one a few days ago. New to me, but OMG - good!

Also like:

• Green Zebra
    • German Bi-color
    • Mr. Stripey
    • Pink Caspian

Been a very slow year in Chicago - hot and dry. Low yields and critter attacks (mice+slugs)

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not sure you're making those names up.

[​IMG]

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I like meaty, non-juicy tomatos that I can make caprese with. Beefsteak, Better Boy?, and lots of big heirloom toms get the job done with fresh mozzarella and basil leaves I go out and clip off the plant. Balsamic vinegar reduction finishes it and it's a perfect, hot-weather dinner out back while we watch the sun go down.

13. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

These are early girl, super 100, jet star and tigerella, will grow sun gold again too , love anything home grown!

Attached Files:

uriah1, tery, naneek and 2 others like this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Our tomato vines are cleared away, another has season come and gone. Every year my wife says she will not plant them again, but she always does. The problem with you tomato growing folks is that you suffer from the delusion that everyone not only likes tomatoes, but likes them with every meal, in great abundance. Tomatoes for breakfast, lunch, dinner. Hungry? Here have some tomatoes, they're good for you! I like maybe two slices of a tomato on my bacon sandwich along with (A) (1) single piece of lettuce, then I'm done. I abhor a tomato after it has lost its fresh crispness, and would gladly just toss away what remains of a tomato after I've taken the slices I want. Journey on though, shove those tomatoes on every unsuspecting guest that shows up around your place, I know there's no stopping any of you anyway! Send them home with great care packages of tomatoes, never quit, never give up, it's your duty!

naneek likes this.
  15. naneek

naneek Tele-Meister

as a student, I visited a farm in mexico which was operated as an academic/ environmental/ humanitarian project to improve conditions for the community through economic opportunities and ecological restoration. The goal was to safely process and reclaim raw sewage, and grow a valuable commodity for the community to sell.

In short, they processed raw sewage by growing corn and squash in a 2 foot layer of soil on top the existing giant storage pools of raw sewage.

I asked them if people ate the poop corn.
    The answer (of course) was yes, we all eat the poop corn, my bed is a mat woven from the leaves of this poop corn, please do not call it poop corn. This corn is delicious and it brings life and opportunity into our community.

Maybe I should have tried the poop corn.

16. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

My wife's father grew a garden in his yard fertilized with the "soil" dredged out of the sewage settling tanks at his municipal treatment plant. He grew great veggies!

naneek likes this.
  17. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Fried green tomatoes please .

upload_2020-8-20_18-1-45.jpeg

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

They use human effluent on the crops in California, or did before I retired. They can pile all of it on the ground they want to if they report they are using it. Then after a coupe of years the requirements are loosened and there is no requirement for reporting that the big old tomato you had on your big mac may have kissed your uncle Henry's behind... Metamorphically.

When the trucks coming over the hill from L.A. were present, you could smell them much farther away than any cattle feed lot you've ever passed by on your journeys. I'll bet the cows out there on I-5 had to hold their noses as they went by.

naneek likes this.
  19. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Tomato List

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  20. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Lauren Bacall was always my favorite tomato.

[​IMG]

naneek likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.