Favorite tele pickup sets…

trevorus

Tele-Meister
So, what’s your favorites? I’m currently using a Lollar Special T bridge and a Vintage T neck in my nuclear snot tele, and a David Allen Specials set in my blue mother of bowling ball Pearl tele.

The HH config sea foam tele is GFS Power Rails, but I have a Duncan Brobucker to put in the bridge, and I’m thinking a ‘59 neck…

surf_jimi

Tele-Meister
Nocaster bridge matched up with a Twisted Tele neck pickup. I have two American Series Teles set up like that. The best of tele and pseudo-strat tones in one guitar.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I've posted about it before, but I am currently obsessed with the EVH Wolfgang PUs that are in my partscaster Tele Deluxe. They are humbuckers, but actually have a Tele-ish character that is dialed up to 11.

I love the Fender Jimmy Page PUs. I got a set from Stratosphere, it's too bad Fender doesn't sell them.

My Esquire has the GFS Hot Lead Alnico and I love it.

Finally, I'm really into Lace Sensors. The Golds in my strat sound amazing to me, but I have a Tele with a strat sized neck PU that currently has the Lace version of a Charlie Christian in it. It is also a great PU, and I can easily swap in a Lace 'PAF' or any other PU they make.

Gratuitous pics:

EVH PUs - this is currently my fav guitar and I own a bunch.
telecaster gray.jpg

Jimmy Page PUs that cost more than the guitar.
LPB Tele.jpg

GFS FTW.
esquire black.jpg

Lace sensor. I have since gotten a Lace Gold Tele bridge PU I may swap in, and I have a better neck I want to put on it. That said, the GFS Fatbody in the bridge is killer so I'm not in a hurry.
Esquireish.jpg

Last edited:

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Straight up front, I'll say I have nowhere near the experience of most here.

But...

I really like my set from Bootstrap, the Extra Crispy set. I replaced some less than satisfactory pickups in a MIJ 50s style Tele with them.

As far as I know, they are like their Original Recipe, but with a beefier bridge - kinda a little bit more Broadcaster-ish as opposed to later Blackguard-ish. The neck is full and warm, yet clean and clear and the bridge has a fat, rich but not shrill bite. They're not too twangy, but can hint at it. They're raunchy, but do clean and dynamic really well.

I also like the set that came in my other Tele. It's a MIJ 60s style, but came with, and I quote, US made "American Vintage '62 Custom Single-Coil Pickups." They sounded great - really balanced and clear. Able to do the twang. The neck especially was wonderful and clean and warm. But, they were a little too similar to the Bootstrap set (in a broad and generic 'Tele' sense), so I was neglecting this guitar. Actually, basically I'd stopped using it. So, to solve this and almost ironically, considering how much I like them, I swapped out the neck for a TV Jones Classic, and I intend to swap the bridge for something from Bootstrap, as it now can't compete and sounds a little weak and unbalanced in comparison. But, the TV Jones Flitertron style sound is really great, and it will, I think, pair really well in a nice contrasting but complimentary way with a beefier Tele bridge.

But of course, the big caveat with this sort of describing tones thing is that the amp you are using and how it is set, plus any pedals can make a huge difference. Actually, not only that, any pickup or pickup set has the potential to yield quite different sonic results in any given guitar. So much going on.

Pax/
Dean

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The pickups in my AV58, O.C. Duff Big Boy/Plankster combo and my Cavalier Nashville Lion/Lion king set.

Hard to pick a "favorite". All these are great in my opinion.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
1940s
TK Smith CCII neck with treble bleed
matching Curtis Novak tele bridge

1950s
Tom Anderson TN3 neck
Cavalier Fat Lion bridge
wired four-way

Humbuckers
DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell neck (push/pull for series/parallel)
Bill Lawrence 280TL bridge

Last edited:

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic
I replaced the N3’s that came in my Am. Deluxe Thinline with Bootstraps. A Pretzel neck/Palo Duro bridge and they are outstanding. Real screamers or tasty twang depending on the settings. Love ‘em.

I’m really digging the factory pu’s that came in my newest, an AO 50’s. I think Fender came close to nailing it with these. At least for me, anyway. This is the one I can‘t put down.

The Esquire build is toting a Nocaster Holy Grail from @Rob DiStefano. All I can say about that is this: OMG😲
Absolutely indescribable. I want more of his stuff.

meadwill

TDPRI Member
I have an AO 60’s and I absolutely love the pickups that came in that guitar. They sound fantastic.

blues

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Budz. Depending on the guitar i have purebred and Dano sets

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Fralin Split Blade "Hot"

only slightly hotter, not mid-rangey! Classic tones. Noiseless.

donrichfan

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I’ve never been a Humbucker bloke, but I recently took a leap and had a Lollar low wind imperial added to the neck and I have to say it’s been my new favorite. J Street in the bridge and the Imperial add a lot of versatility. Very pleased with this mod.
1642981869750.jpeg