1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite tele neck pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by BagbyGuitar, Mar 9, 2014.

1. BagbyGuitar

BagbyGuitar TDPRI Member

I have a Fender Twisted Tele neck pup in my tele right now and I can't stand it. It either sounds extremely thin or extremely muffled with no happy medium. I want a fatter, smoother tone that will maintain its clarity. Thanks!

2. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

Check out Jim Weider's Big T. It's built by Fralin & sold through Analogman.

3. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

Ive got the OV's in one and a SD vintage rhythm ( str1 i think ) in the other. I would say the SD is "smoother" with a little less highs, and the OV is more spanky and thin. Like em both.

4. barker

barker Tele-Meister

I agree with you. That's a hard balance to pull off. The best one I found is the Dimarzio Twang King neck pup and I've tried a good half dozen of them. Totally disagree with SD vintage rhythm pup, sounded like fat mud to my ears. Twang King Definitely not thin and all notes are clear with subtle warmth. Some claim this pup has some "magic" to it, I agree 100%. The marketing department at Dimarzio totally dropped the ball naming this pup, sounds nothing like a Twang King. The bridge sure does tho...,

The keystone neck is very clear but can be bright in certain situations. That's probably the clearest Tele neck pup I've tried but too bright in some bright Tele's and amps IMHO

5. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

Once again I'll sing the praises of the Suhr rhythm pup. Clear and fat. I have a Weider Big "T" that I paired with my Fralin stock staggered and thought it sounded great alone, but wasn't what I was looking for in the center position. I put my Fralin stock rhythm back in which ,to me, sounds more jangly in the center position. I would try the Suhr in there but it isn't magnetically in phase with the Fralin lead pup, so I haven't put it in yet,

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like you might like a Strat PUP in your Tele. Just one possible choice. I disliked the covered Tele Pickups initially, tried Nickle covers, no covers, Strat pickups et al. Funny today I like the brass cover with a lower wind. I guess I got used to how attack and the covered pickup works...

7. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Lipstick tube maybe?

8. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

The Lollar "Special T" sounds like a solution. Rumpelstiltskin has a very similar pup which I have and it's less expensive. Contact Aaron at rumplestiltskinpickups.com. He's a great guy and he'll wind one for you.

9. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I prefer humbuckers or P90s in the neck position, it's just me.

For fullsize humbuckers I find Gibson's BurstBucker 1 or BurstBucker Pro to work great in a Tele. Not as muddy as the '57 Classic in a Tele. Also love the Duncan Seth Lover pickup.

For mini humbuckers I like DiMarzio's DP240 and Seymour Duncan's mini humbucker. I prefer the sound of the DiMarzio and certainly the logo-less graphic but both are good. I haven't tried Lollar's minibucker but it's supposed to be good.

For P90s I like Lollar and Fralin P90s. He's got a great selection.

If I didn't go with one of those types, it'd have to be a Strat neck pickup. The traditional tele neck is just too muddy for me. I'd go for a Keystone Wilde pickup myself. I have a set in a Tele and it's the most wonderful Stratty neck pickup I've heard for a Tele.

10. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

+1 for Twang King neck pickup. Very versatile but still sounds like a Tele, only with more punch.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Loving my Cavalier Lionness neck pickup, slightly overwound. Its awesome!

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the one in my '83 Tele is my fav neck PU ...stock...;)

13. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

SD Alnico II with the cover removed, sweet tone for blues.

14. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Your description fatter and smoother but with clarity doesn't seem to qualify a P-90 style pup. The ones I recommended sound Strat- like. Maybe that's not what you want

15. JohnnyBloo13

JohnnyBloo13 TDPRI Member

I like my Klein firebird for Telecaster or my Lollar firebird for a fatter but clear. Also love Cavalier Lioness.

16. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Also Loving my Cavalier Lionness neck pickup

17. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

I like the Twisted Tele I put in my Squier Tele Standard HS. I always wire my strats and teles with a treble bleed on the volume. Have you played with the height adjustment and/or your tone control at all?

18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

SD antiquity....

19. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

I still think a lipstick tube would be pretty awesome in the neck. Sounds a lot like an acoustic guitar.

20. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Yes! Rob at Fret Tech makes great pickups and will listen to you describe what sound you want, and he will give you that sound at a great price.. He will reverse wind it, if necessary, to give you a totally quiet middle switch position. He has Boutique Pickups at Street Prices,... I have one of his bridge pickups that I love. VERY FAST delivery!... My opinion....... :D:D:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.