1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite Tele? Favorite Tele neck pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Oct 23, 2020.

1. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Jeez, Larry Campbell is a bad ass player. Like a fool I didn’t really know until recently.

KW1977 likes this.
  2. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yes. Most Tele neck pickups are wound with 43AWG wire (it's a short, small bobbin), and I think 7k for one of those is kind of the sweet spot! Fender's Pure Vintage '64 Tele neck pickup is about 7.4k.

I'm sure that neck pickup in your '52 AV sounds great!

Strat pickups (larger/taller bobbin) are usually wound with the thicker 42AWG wire and are commonly around the 6k DCR range.

KW1977 and notroHnhoJ like this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Favorite Tele: my AV '58 sunburst.

Favorite Tele neck pickup: the PV '58 in the above guitar.

The whole guitar is top notch in every way. One of the best guitars I've ever played...and I own who knows how many, and have played thousands. 10 seconds of playing it, and I knew I had to have it. The neck pickup is just perfection.

36966116_10156260395936346_9149651697767809024_o.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    notroHnhoJ and DHart like this.
  4. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Interesting! Soooo....the shorter smaller bobbin calls for a somewhat larger winding to “get” or approximate something of a balanced output with the bridge pickup?

5. DHart

Simpified: Small Tele neck bobbin calls for thinner wire (43AWG) to get enough turns around the bobbin. The Tele bridge pickup has a larger bobbin and with more room there, the larger 42AWG wire is typically used.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  6. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Day yum, Those are beautiful guitars.
    I finally bought a Telecaster, a 2017 American Elite, 2 years ago and now its the only guitar I really play. Probably will sell at least 2 others.
    I truly admire those who own or owned many and have the ear to be able to distinguish between pickups as well as choose their favorite.
    My favorite Tele neck pickup is is the 4th generation noiseless. But what do I know??

DHart likes this.
  7. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Its interesting that you like the neck pickup in your ‘58 AVRI. Having played a few of those in music stores, the neck pickup in that model didnt knock me out. To me, they seemed like stereotypical bad tele’ neck pickups. Overall though, those are such fantastic guitars and I’ve really been wanting one lately. I really think they do have a different character from the 52 AVRI and how the pickups are voiced between the two models might be most of the difference.

8. DHart

Well, you know that you LOVE the 4th gen noiseless Tele neck pickup... and that's ALL that matters! :)

Wallaby and bcorig like this.
  9. DHart

I don't have direct experience, nor knowledge of the specifics on the 58AVRI - sorry.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My Brad Paisley Sig model because it sounds great and is fun to play and my wife bought it for me.

Neck pickups: Don't think you can get any better than Cavalier pickups. @Rob DiStefano can help you get the sound you want without the mud most other neck pickups have.

DHart likes this.
  11. EsquireOK

Exactly the opposite experience. It was an immediate standout as a particularly great Tele neck pickup, not having many of the problems of stereotypically bad Tele neck pickups.

All of the PV Tele pickups are IME. It's just that I like the '58 the best. Juicy yet clear. Sweet to aggressive just based on right hand touch. Warm without being muddy. Articulate without being harsh. That said, all three of them can be equalized to each other pretty well using most basic amp controls, and almost perfectly using an outboard e.q. unit.

Do you play with a lot of gain and/or pedals? What style of music?

12. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

That Mystic Red is stunning!
    I've always enjoyed Fralin pickups in my Teles

DHart likes this.
  13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

misposted

14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

l have four in various iterations and like them all but this is the one that seems to get the most play time.

08 American Standard/Warmoth neck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DHart, bls82261 and telepraise like this.
  15. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

The AV '64 neck pickup is basically perfect to my ear. A Don Mare Hayride neck pickup is similar but maybe more alive and open sounding, there is something going on in there.

Someone else mentioned the specialness of neck pickup sounds and finding the right pickup and guitar and configuration combination - I couldn't agree more. When it's right it's REALLY right.

DHart and notroHnhoJ like this.
  16. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Plenty of pedals, but generally not that much gain. Several different styles I guess? Nothing that really requires metal-oid levels of gain.
    How about you, where or how does your 58 AV get used?

17. DHart

I'm going to have to add another mention for incredible sounding neck pickup:

Cavalier Lioness!

I was just playing my Capri Orange Player (a most suitable body color for October!) which has a Lioness neck pickup in it and the tones... oh man, the tones. Verry, very sweet. Rich, crystal-clear, and sparkly bright, too!

2019 Tele Player, Capri Orange. 2019 Fender American Professional rosewood neck.
    [​IMG]

I think I'm going to have to say that this Lioness pickup sounds even slightly sweeter than my beloved Firebird and Antiquity II Mini. Of course, being single coil... there's that! :)

[​IMG]

Bridge pickup sounds equally wonderful: Fender Custom Shop Nocaster with A3 slugs.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    KW1977 likes this.
  18. ejphotos

ejphotos Tele-Meister

Oh, and this is my favorite Tele...and only Tele lol

191A89FA57BA4CD9A265123191AD322F-1440x1080.jpg

KW1977 and DHart like this.
  19. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Seymour Duncan "Vintage for Tele". Very clear and clean sounding.

20. EsquireOK

No pedals (other than the occasional tremolo pedal on my amps that don't have it), low gain, but dirty when wanted. Dirt from right hand pressure and low headroom amps. I play the range from classic swing (Benny Goodman, for example) to hard rock (AC/DC, for example). I would say my middle of the road "go-to" tone is a lot like classic late '60s Stones tones (Beggars and Let it Bleed era). I use light strings (11–50-something, usually), and generally have a very heavy right hand, so even my "vintage" pickups have a fairly high output.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.