1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite Tele? Favorite Tele neck pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Oct 23, 2020.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Many of us have a number of Teles... some of which have risen to become our top favorites. I really enjoy each and every Tele that I have, but these two American Standard Teles, which I've modified, are my top choices... in part due to the neck pickups I've installed in them.

I have a lot of different neck pickups in my Teles - each one has something different. And while I very much love the tones from some traditional Tele neck pickups (Twang King neck pickup is one of them), I am really loving these hum-free options, first and foremost for how they sound... and being noise-free is just sweet frosting on the cake.

2012 American Standard in Mystic Red finish with 2017 American Professional rosewood neck, and Antiquity II Mini Humbucker neck pickup.

and

2013 American Standard in Jade Pearl finish with 2018 American Professional rosewood neck, and Cavalier Firebird neck pickup.

[​IMG]

These neck pickups sound quite similar. Both are full-bodied, rich, clear, articulate, detailed and sparkly bright - exactly what I prefer in a neck pickup. They bring together what I love about single coil pickups and what I love about humbuckers - nicely blended into one sweet pickup.
    [​IMG]

The contoured back on the 2012-2013-era American Standards is something else that I love about these guitars.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, Mystic Red is my favorite Fender red color and Jade Pearl is my favorite Fender green color.

Thus... two of my most favorite Fender Teles!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    RYAN1987M, GGardner, oldfish and 8 others like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Those are both very nice teles. Do you have any sound clips or videos showcasing these two pickups? Would love to hear them.

DHart likes this.
  3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My AVRI58, Cavalier Lion King and the O.C. Duff Big Boy seem to do it for me so far.

I have another Tele with a Cavalier SRV Tiger. Not a traditional Tele neck pick up, but very cool.

I tried the Cavalier Phoenix(Firebird), it didn't really do it for me. JMHO. Might try it again someday.

KW1977 and DHart like this.
  4. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

Boss guitars! The pearl finishes from that era of standards are my faves!

Are those American Series saddles on the jade? I’m still not sure the Standards’ bent steels were an improvement.

DHart likes this.
  5. anotherlefty

anotherlefty TDPRI Member

Have you tried a Lollar Regal or any other WRHB? If so how would you compare them to these mini humbuckers?

Your guitars look amazing.

DHart likes this.
  6. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My ‘07 Suhr T with a Lollar Imperial High Wind in the neck. The best - for me.

923B5D48-4409-4C1B-A61A-31665B79A018.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    DHart likes this.
  7. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

Tough one. My favourite from this lot and many others that has passed through:

Tele = GH rosewood
    Traditional neck pickup = ’50-’51 Blackguard
    Non-trad neck pickup = Lollar CC

DB06DAB3-01A2-4098-86E8-880BCBCEAE3D.jpeg

Wallaby, theprofessor and DHart like this.
  8. DHart

Not at present - will have to work on that.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. DHart

Your last comment surprises me, as I am so impressed with the Cavalier Firebird that I installed a pair in one of my ES-339s, which pushed that ES-339 to the top of my semi-hollow guitar group - surpassing my Gibson ES-339. Fantastic tones - combining the best of both single coil tone and humbucker tone in one pickup.

I think I'd go so far as to say that I like the Cavalier 'Phoenix' Firebird neck pickup even a bit more than the T-Armond single coil, which is another big favorite of mine.

[​IMG]

richiek65 and Sybo like this.
  10. DHart

Yes, American Series saddles on the Jade. I honestly can't say that I hear enough difference between these and the bent steels to have a clear preference.

Indeed, on the colors! Mystic Red and Jade Pearl have the most beautiful depth and shimmer - they are truly my favorite Fender colors - a good bit of metal flake and visual enchantment in those paints!

I'd have to say that American Standard Teles (2012-2013), with the colors offered at that time, and the back contour, are my faves - nice necks, too. I also have a 2012 American Standard Strat, Ash body in Sienna finish, from the same era.

I'm such a fan of Mystic Red that have an American Standard Strat, from that same era, in Mystic Red also...

[​IMG]

oldfish and ejphotos like this.
  11. DHart

Thank you.

Those are two pickups that I haven't tried, as yet!

12. DHart

That GH Tele is definitely a dream guitar! Not sure I'd enjoy the weight, but man is it gorgeous. How does it sound compared to a "typical" Tele?

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Maybe the Phoenix would sound better to me in a semi hollow body.

I just wasn't real fond of it in the Tele. That same guitar now has the SRV Tiger and sounds fantastic to me.

Maybe it's just me and it needs to be in another guitar. I still have it.

It's not a question of it's quality. Rob does excellent work. I've always been happy with that.

DHart likes this.
  14. DHart

Oh yes, try that Firebird in a semi-hollow. I run mine with 490k pots. Best sounding ES-339 I've heard, and among the 3 that I have/had. Wonderful tonal improvement vs. the usual PAF buckers.

15. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

It’s one of those 2017 models, which have a olympic size swimmingpool weight relief cavity under the pickguard. So weight is not an issue.

The sounds: well, IMO it’s not on the darker side, as one would expect. Quite ”normal” and very resonant. Maybe those threaded steel barrel saddles has something to do with.

I really can’t tell any specific difference between rosewood, alder or ash bodies. But that’s maybe because I have mold growing out of my ears :confused:

DHart likes this.
  16. DHart

Nice to hear that the GH rosewood Tele isn't terribly heavy! It sure is stunning looking.

My heaviest Tele is 9.3 lbs of ash and maple and I can sure feel it when I pick it up. But, I play sitting and when playing, I don't feel the weight - which is nice.

17. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

The stock neck pickup in my 2013 52 AV. Its seriously great. GREAT string to string balance, sounds great with volume or tone backed off/down, articulates well where my right hand is (close to the bridge/close to the pickup) its by far my favorite in any Tele’ I’ve had. I can go from Western Swing type round/jazzy tone, to Robert Fripp(with pedals) Also, and oddly enough, its kind of a “hot” pickup for a Fender single coil. In the 7 ohm range. By comparison the stock bridge pickup from that guitar is like 6 and some change.

KW1977 likes this.
  18. DHart

Nice!

But, 7k for a 43AWG Tele neck pickup isn't hot, really. I'd say it would be a nice clean, clear, fairly even balance (not middy) output.

With 43AWG wire, a Tele neck pickup would have to be over 10k DCR to start being considered "hot".

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  19. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

That Tele neck pickup hunt is a special one. Not to say the bridge is “meh” but there’s something about the right neck tone that’ll stop you in your tracks. It’s gotta have this hollow, woody, uncompressed, almost piano like quality to it for me, and I figured out the traditional short bobbin A3/Blackguard must be my thing, because that the whole tall bobbin “Stelly” thing just isn’t. I’d heard a lot of great examples but the most recent that really grabbed me was Larry Campbell & Teresa Williams cover of Louvin Bros “You’re Running Wild.” The opening notes before the first verse are just definitive Tele to me. I ran around in a few small circles w/ various pickups but the one that really stood out in nailing that tone - Q Pickups A3.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    notroHnhoJ likes this.
  20. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Thats a pretty accurate description of how it sounds, yeah it isn’t really mid-range-ish at all, “bell like” wouldn’t be a stretch. So thats what those Reissues use for a winding? Did not know, and to be honest I have no idea what AWG stands for. I can guess that 43 is diameter, correct?

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.