1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite strings for a Telecaster??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 19sixty3, Dec 2, 2020.

1. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

Hey, all-- the question I have is what it says in the title. If you play a Telecaster, what strings do you use, and why?

Just got a NOS 2011 American Standard and looking to replace the factory Fender strings soon-ish, just not sure what with! I had already replaced the old factory Fenders with a new set of Fender strings. But even after 10 hours of play? They are not for me.

The 2011 American Standards has a very nice single-coil neck pickup. Sounds more substantial, kind of fatter sounding than the traditional Tele neck pickup. Great for blues. The bridge pickup has to my ears less twang than most other Tele pickups I know. Still a Telecaster, but kinda more compressed. I like them.

Anyway, I am looking for strings something vintage-punchy, if that makes sense...?)

Thank you all in advance for your inputs and advice...:)

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

I have been using GHS Nickel Rockers for years...semi-flats, feel good, less finger noise - can twang but not overly-sproingy

3. Gevalt

Gevalt Tele-Meister

NYXL. I couldn't get twangy with pure nickel, and these are the highest quality without being over-engineered to shrill highs like I got on some more upscale sets.

JohnnieO and 19sixty3 like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like D’Addario XLs.
    The last a little longer than Ernie Ball and GHS, IMO.
    They also never have rust or kinks.
    They’ve been my go-to for decades.

5. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

I've tried too many strings and gauges. I finally settled on Fender pure nickel 10s. Because they're cheap and work well enough on all my guitars. Find the "perfect" string (and anything else) turned into a rabbit hole due to my personality. I'm firmly in the "good enough" camp these days though it takes concerted effort.

Rockinvet and 19sixty3 like this.
  6. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

I like EB Slinkys. 9-42. Old trusty. I have recently been playing with their pure nickel version and love their old school sound. The only problem is they don't last very long. It's frustrating because they sound so good but I have to change them more often. But man, they do have that vintage quality. It's what most electric players had to use back in the day. I wonder what some of the greats would choose if they had the options we have today. Maybe we would be going through a different rabbit hole. That being said. A decent set of strings is a decent set of strings. So many out there now. I think amps and effects are just as crucial in getting "that" sound as your strings. Those pure nickel ones are great though. Why can't they just last longer. Lol. Anyway. Keep on pickin!!!

19sixty3 likes this.
  7. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Whatever's cheap on juststrings.com. But no Black Diamonds :rolleyes:

19sixty3 and KirbyBarba like this.
  8. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

The equivalent thread to "What oil should I use" in an automotive forum!

19sixty3 and KirbyBarba like this.
  9. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Old faithful's...

[​IMG]

Ed Storer, Gevalt, SPUDCASTER and 5 others like this.
  10. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I liked D'Addario NYXLs for a while on my G&L ASAT Classic but I switched to the regular XLs because they were cheaper. I sometimes kinda miss the tone I got during my NYXL era (though there are other variables that probably also factor into that sound) but I'm not sure I want to go back to them, especially since the XLs are readily available in a pinch.

For my Vintera Modified '50s Tele, I use the D'Addario Pure Nickels. Gets me a little warmth and vintage-y tone and they seem to last long enough (although I'm notorious for liking it when my strings go dead).

11-49 is the gauge for me. I'd probably play faster/better on 10s but the adrenaline at gigs (four score and seven years ago...) makes me pull them out of tune or break them easily.

Gevalt likes this.
  11. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Ernie 11s for a couple years when I came back to guitars after 20 years off, I think it was good for my hand strength early on.

Last year or so though... Ernie 9s, same as when I was a kid in the 80s. I think about trying a new set every so often, but the guitar is just perfectly set up for those strings now and I do not want to mess with its chi by experimenting with anything that's got a different pull.

Billy3 likes this.
  12. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

D'Addario 11s for me. I tried 10s, and they certainly made the guitar easier to play, but I missed the beef, so back to 11s I went. I tried 9s once and I couldn't get them off the guitar fast enough. I may have to return to 10s some day, if my hands start to give me trouble, but so far, so good.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In the words of the immortal Bob Newhart...
    Stop....it....

14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Yup!
    I have only one of each- a Strat, Tele, Dano, SG and all 4 guitars ( and my ears and fingers) LOVE these strings! (10-46 on all)

I used to go between these, EB Regular Slinkys, Fender Nickels/Bullets, and GHS Boomers, but anymore, the D'Addarios are consistent/bright/hold their tuning

* change strings after say, 3 gigs and never break any

19sixty3 likes this.
  15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

D’addario XT coated nickel plated strings for me. The coating tames the highs. I use 11’s on my Telecaster and 10’s on my Strats. I play mostly finger style and the timbre is pretty even across the strings. I don’t care how much they cost. I can’t account for more than the cost of strings at the end of the week.

Gevalt, Greggorios and 19sixty3 like this.
  16. 19sixty3

19sixty3 TDPRI Member

That's pretty funny))

I had to think about it a bit first, but thanks for your opinion, and I agree if you should have meant everything can't be in perfect harmony between guitar, strings, pickups, amp, cab, and room. And me!

But, being serious about what you guys think, prefer, and why? I appreciate the contributions that have been received so far. Strings have already been mentioned that I haven't had on my screen for years or have never played myself. For myself, and I hope for others too, very interesting to learn something new!

Billy3 likes this.
  17. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

My 50s Classic Vibe with A3 pickups gets D'Addarios 9-42 NPS (nickel plated steel)

My partscaster rendition of a '63 Tele with a neck P90 gets Fender pure nickel 10-46.

My Squier Vintage Modified SSH with two stacks and a mini hum gets the D'Addario 9.5-44 NPS

And my 51 Nocaster Partscaster currently under construction will be getting GHS Brite Flats, 12-52 ground round wound nickel alloy. I found that these strings are the closest in construction to the original 1951 OEM strings, what Leo put on at the factory.

19sixty3 likes this.
  18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

What everyone else says. XL10's.

19sixty3 likes this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I started with D'Addario 10's, switched to Ernie Ball 10's, then settled on Ernie Ball 11's. I want to go down a gauge, but I really like the positive feel and feedback from a set of 11s.

19sixty3 likes this.
  20. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I really like the Elixir Nanowebs. I use the 10s. They stay fresh much longer than anything else I have tried.

19sixty3, JanOak and Turtleneck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.