1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite Stock Speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mozzarate54, May 29, 2013.

1. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

Which amp models in your opinion have the best stock speakers? I personally love the peavey classic blues marvel speakers they really have a sweet sound.

2. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Fender Twin Reverbs JBL's
    Super Reverbs CTS
    Bassman Jensen's.

3. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

4. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I bought a ’71 Vibrolux Reverb about twelve years ago, and, being new to amps, I turned to Internet forums to figure out how it sounded. Almost immediately I learned that the “Oxfart” speakers were junk and I started on the great tone quest.

I read somewhere that my new amp would produce the very best tone with one Weber P10Q and one Weber C10Q and I ended up with a pair of each and worked through the various combinations: two P10Qs; two C10Qs; one P10Q and one C10Q. All of these sounded okay, but once started, the tone quest must go on and so I picked up a pair of Kendrick Blackframe 10s which sounded good and were in the amp for years until I picked up a set of Eminence Copperheads last winter. The Copperheads were okay, too, though nothing any more or less special than the Kendricks, or for that matter, the Webers, had been.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I thought, “What the heck, I’m gonna put the Oxfords back in the Vibrolux and see how it sounds.” And you know what? The amp sounds fantastic. Part of the allure may be that the Oxfords are less efficient and allow me to turn the amp up a little higher, but overall, now that I’ve learned to listen to how my amps sound rather to read about how they sound, I like these Oxford speakers a lot.

And that’s all a very long winded way of saying that I nominate the lowly Oxford 10L5s in the silverface Vibrolux Reverb amp as my favorite stock speaker.

[​IMG]

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

-Mesa Boogies had their EMI V30 types. Not too bad.

-Goodsells WGS ET65..

-60's SuperReverb CTS 10's (best all time)....

-Kustom Alum Dome 15's

6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Nice story there Dsharp....
    The endless tone quest ceased when you simply returned to what you had in the first place..
    Kinda like life in general.

7. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Being usually a Vintage 30 man I kind of like the stock Blue Marvel in my Classic 30. Last night I removed it from my Classic 30 and replaced it with a Vintage 30 and put the Blue Marvel in a closed-back 1-12 cabinet I have. Seems like the Blue Marvel likes the closed-back cab and sounds even better in it than it did in the Classic 30. Might try to find another one cheap for another cab that needs a speaker.

8. Textele

Textele Tele-Holic

Mesa Boogie special voiced Celestions. Especially their Vintage 30's in a closed back Recto 2x12 verticle cab. Not just a metal cab, it does all types of music well, clean or dirty.

The C-90s are great in their open/semi-open combos and cabs.

9. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

I had the same experience recently with my SF Princeton Reverb - took out the Copperhead that's been in there the past 5 years and reinstalled the Oxford, decided I liked it better. No good for loud playing bc it wimps out pretty quickly above 4 on the volume knob, but very sweet tone at low volumes.

10. tabdog

tabdog Tele-Meister

Sunn cabs and Fender's JBL's. Different ones.

Even my Kustom 115 cab,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tabdog

11. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

Guitar Celestion Vintage 30s, Bass Fane are B&C

12. Hi-Fi Jim

Hi-Fi Jim Tele-Meister

Love the V30 that's in my Marshall Studio 15.

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

An Eminence Cannabis Rex.

14. Natman

Natman NEW MEMBER!

I have a Marsh '65 Deluxe Reverb head. It was built from the original '65 DR wiring diagram, so it doesn't have a stock speaker. I tried it out with Jensen Tornado neo 12". I was disappointed with the sound so kept using Blues Junior III (very fine amp). I have a cabinet with a way too old Peavey Black Widow that was part of a Peavey Renown solid state amp. It was never very good but was very loud. I retired it to my garage, then hurricane Katrina submerged it and I lost the amp. The speaker and cabinet dried out so I kept them. Glad I did. The 15" Black Widow sounds great with the Marsh amp. To my taste, it's sound utopia. I use the Black Widow with the Marsh amp on gigs now. Looks ugly as hell but I get a lot of compliments on the sound. The only drawback is it weighs a ton, but still worth the effort of totting it. If anyone is familiar with the live sound of the Black Widow, I would like to find a 12" speaker that sounds as big and open with a lot of snap. I play oldies rock with a Strat and Tele.

15. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

I was never a Celestion fan, but when I got my Mustang III it came with a G12T-100 speaker. I mostly play at home, but got invited to jam with a band one night, took it out and the band was pretty loud...so I turned the amp up. That speaker really sounded great at louder levels, seemed to bloom to me. I was surprised at how crisp it stayed at the treble end, and the bass remained clear, not boomy or muddy but still had substance. Good solid sound IMO.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  16. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

How about anything that comes stock with Webers or Greenbacks...

17. BourbonSamurai

BourbonSamurai Tele-Holic

Peavey Blue Marvels are pretty damn nice.

18. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

re" VR w Oxfords

My buddy has a 68 VR which came w Oxfords, one was bad so he put in a set of Eminence Legends, good sounding speakers.
    Later on he got the Oxfords reconed, put them back in the amp, they sound better!

The Oxfords get a lot of disrespect but I have owned Fender amps with them that sounded great, I think part of the problem is when you crank up a Fender you need to turn the bass down some to compensate, otherwise most any speaker (other than a JBL ) will "Fart" out.

The Blue Marvels sound good, I think those are Eminence made speakers, at least they used to be.

19. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

The red coned 12" Fender speaker in my M-80 fit it perfectly. I tried a couple of other "better" speakers but none fit the amp as well as the stock one.

20. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Add JBL D130s to the list. Just don't play bass through them.

And E-V SROs in any size

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.