Favorite song you grew up on?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Lord_Ingipz, May 15, 2019.

1. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

When I was 9, I LOVED "Going back to Houston" by Dean Martin - of all people!

2. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Six Days On The Road by Dave Dudley
    Almost anything by The Ventures
    Too Many To Name!

elihu likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

This came out in 1979. I was 13. It was so good to hear it, as a contrast to all the candyass disco and weirdo freak hippy crap that was out at the time, and I wore out the 45

Obviously the song way predates this recorded version

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Earliest would be Otis Redding Dock of the Bay and I guess The Drifters Under the
    Boardwalk (lotta versions of that song but before the Stones). Loved to sing both those songs around maybe age 5-7.
    Still love Dock of the Bay!

Next came The Band, and it was pretty much every song on the first two albums, sang them all and knew pretty much all the words, I'd guess age 10 or a little older.
    Oddly at the time I didn't know Robbie played a Tele or that his guitar playing would influence me. I heard the band and the vocals, not the players.
    A great great band with multiple fine singers.

By the time Jr High hard Rock classics like Walk This Way got my musical attention I had already pretty much "grown up with music", but of course a steady stream of new stuff kept getting my attention. High school hits fell off my attention, really that era didn't stick with me. In fact the late '70s early '80s pushed me out of popular music for a long time.

I think my love of the great vocal tradition starting with Otis carried through to stuff like Soundgarden/ Audioslave with Chris Cornell being what I hear as a great vocalist paired with lyrics I generally found meaningful.

One way or another though, my guitar isn't really my music of choice, or it's a replacement for not being able to sing for long without my voice falling apart.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lots of music in the background as I was growing-up...but when it came to pubescent age obsesive listening.......

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Honky Tonk - Ventures

bromdenlong and Obsessed like this.
  7. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Shakin' all over - Johnny Kidd and The Pirates. :cool:

8. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

"Gonna Find Me A Bluebird", Marvin Rainwater from 1957. When I was a kid, I dropped many dimes in the jukebox to hear that song.

Lord_Ingipz likes this.
  9. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

First song I remember (from being a 4 or 5 year old kid) that really got me hooked was Copperhead Road by Steve Earl. I had no idea it was about bootlegging or anything, just loved the sound.

10. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Wow..I was only 4, my older sister got her first record player, and the first 45 was, Wake up little Susie.
    Never liked the song, but I loved the smell, of the record player, heating up.

Lord_Ingipz and brookdalebill like this.
  11. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Mom's House:

Golden Years - Bowie
    Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann
    The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace
    Son of Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield

Dad's House:

Anything by Ray Price
    "King of the Road" - Roger Miller
    "King Porter Stomp" - Glenn Miller

They were two completely different people. I wonder how they ever got married. I am guessing alcohol might have a hand in it.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...mostly true; written by Chip Taylor (real name James Wesley Voight). Don't know anything about the A&R record guy side of story, though.

Read all about it on Wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Taylor

Chip extended his career in the 90's, playing with Carrie Rodriguez. Lately has a video up on YouTube for a song called "F*** All the Perfect People". Kinda like it!

13. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My mother remarried in 1971 and my step dad used to take us out to Pizza Hut for dinner every Friday night. I was 9 years old and he'd always give me a few quarters for the juke box. I don't remember how many songs a quarter bought me back then but they'd all be Hot Rod Lincoln. Back to back Hot Rod Lincoln for a good 15-20 minutes. As I recall, some people there didn't care for it as much as I did.

14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

This had serious play for me till I was 9 years old. I loved it from my earlier childhood. Then, The Beatles came.

15. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

68, 69 was my most favorite music over all. So experimental. But I love all music.

16. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I grew up in LA listening to Breakfast with The Beatles on Sundays, and the Beatles radio station on some AM channel during the week before it shut down.

Wayne's World came out right around the time I was in junior high, so I was obsessed with Bohemian Rhapsody. I went to the local Wherehouse Music to try and buy the album with the song on it, but all they had featuring the song was Live At Wembley '86, or the 2-disc Greatest Hits collection and I didn't have enough money for that. So I bought Live at Wembley.

I really liked Keep Yourself Alive and Seven Seas of Rhye on there, so I saved up and bought Queen's first album. I eventually got all their albums on cassette because I couldn't afford a CD player.

Through bands I played within high school I got into Cream, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin... Then eventually into SRV.

I can't say there were any real defining songs for me growing up besides Bohemian Rhapsody. I listened to what was popular at the time, too, like Nirvana, Sound Garden, The Wallflowers, No Doubt, Sugsr Ray, etc. Whatever would play between the pop and alternative stations (KIIS FM and KROQ).

17. bromdenlong

bromdenlong TDPRI Member

I never had just one favorite song. Of all the albums I stole from my mom when I was 11, I listened to Simon and Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme the most. I'm sure I've listened to it from beginning to end more than any other album. I still love it.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Green River by CCR. We used to wag school and swim in a local swimming hole.

elihu likes this.
  19. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I was born in ‘80. My hippy Mom and redneck dad kept a good variety on rotation from soul to classic rock to country. The first 2 songs I remember really rocking out to were Money for Nothin’ and Keep Your Hands to Yourself.

20. sardinista

sardinista TDPRI Member

My dad was a drummer for most of my childhood (and long before), so I've always been around music. This changed my world, however, when it came out in 1992. I was 10; a formative age.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.