Favorite Solid State Guitar Amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JayFreddy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I've just had another quick read through this whole thread and I notice that among contributors' nominated favourites there seems to have been no mention of the ZT stuff. I bought a Lunchbox on the strength of hearsay and a very quick try in a shop, but in use it's been disappointing and for me it turns out to be a bit of a waste of the very small space it occupies. I suppose it has its uses but I could (and indeed, with the rarest of extremely occasional exceptions, do) live very happily without it.

At another time I also tried the 1x12 Club amp alongside my Cube 60, but other than being fractionally smaller and lighter, that too failed to offer anything the Cube wasn't capable of doing as well or better and didn't seem nearly as well-built either.

2. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

I can't see the volume ever being a problem with the Cube at the places I play as those things are surprisingly loud aren't they but the line out for a bit of spread sounds like a good idea.

3. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Of the amps I've played: Roland Cube, and Peavey Bandit.

I like cheap & functional + they do sound great.

/ Tony

4. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

I can't even remember the last time I played through a tube amp!

My most used SS amp is the ZT Lunchbox - usually with the matching cab.

I've also got a Super Cube 60 (the silver tolex one), a Traynor Bloc 100G and a Yamaha G100-112iii.

If I had to pare down things, I'd keep the ZT and the Yamaha. Those two amps will do anything I need in the way of volume and physical configuration. If I'm gigging the Yamaha, I take the ZT anyways as a backup head to drive the speaker.

5. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

I'm long past the honeymoon phase with my Quilter Aviator 8 and am still thrilled with it...can't wait for tonight's gig!

6. bigdog

bigdog Tele-Meister

Carvin SX 200

I just recently stumbled on a deal for a Carvin SX200 while looking for a smallish practice amp. After going all bluegrass a few years ago and unloading my electric gear for a high end acoustic,I'm rebuilding my electric rig.
    I am blown away by the quality, tone and versatility of this thing at $150 used! I was a tube only man for many years and now see I may have just been drinking some expensive Kool Aid!

7. hshight

hshight Tele-Meister

I sometimes miss my Peavey Stereo Chorus 400. Great cleans, used an old 500 series DOD compressor with level cranked up to overdrive the lead channel preamp. Sounded good,way better than the saturation knob.

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The Carvin SX200's are great. I've had two of them. Our other guitar player just bought one of the Orange Crush 120 watt SS Heads. There are very nice...

[​IMG]

9. Armyman

Armyman TDPRI Member

I do like some solid state amps. Some can sound just as good as most tube amps at lower volumes but in my experience when you crank em up they thin out a lot quicker than tube amps. Tube amps do get costly but are well worth it in my opinion. I play traditional country so I need to have a good thick/warm sound.

10. titaniumslide

titaniumslide TDPRI Member

The only SS amps I own are Tech 21's a TM30 and a TM60. They both work really well but for different sized spaces the TM30 with a Boss GT-8 using the 4 cable connection sounds great with the 3pc I play with in a small low room. I think it might be the 10 inch speaker and the frequencies that it occupies with just Bass and Drums.
    The TM60 works better in larger spaces with more players. It likes pedals or multi effects right into the input and there are 2 channels, a clean and dirty.
    I like both of them.

11. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

I'm anxious to try a Quilter. Last I heard they were going to start putting them in stores. Which is good because I hate the Quilter demos I've seen so far, but realize it's the style of the players in the vid I'm not digging & I don't discount the amp for that. If PGS Andy did a demo I'd probably already own one! Lol. So I'm still waiting for a real deal tube killer.

While neither of these are making me want to sell my tubes, I'm a big fan of both my babies. Nothing much to say about the PF15 that hadn't been said on this forum. Just fantastic all around. The Marshall Lead 12 does the classic hard rock sound brilliantly, takes pedals well and records very well. Not great cleans though. I added a jack to the Lead 12 and now run both amps out of extension cabs when I fire them up. No complaints about the stock speakers, but when a nice 112 is sitting right here, go big I say!

[​IMG]

12. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I still have my Fender Princeton Chorus I bought in the late 80's. Turned up, it an OK amp. At low volume, I can still dial in a good sound - and this is why I've kept it. If I'm playing and the family is watching TV in the next room, I can still get a good sound without disturbing them. It still sounds good through "mid level volume" - when it gets loud, it seems to get a bit overstated and loses clarity.

Stereo amp, chorus, spring reverb, two 10" speakers, red knob special with a headphone jack. I still think this is close to the perfect at-home practice amp. Yeah, it's a bit bigger and heavier that I would like. These are still available for around $200 on the used market.

Of course, a Mustang III or IV could easily supplant this, but this isn't what this thread is about...

13. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Oh - here is a pic. This is not my amp, but it looks just like this.

[​IMG]

14. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

With the chorus set low, it's lush and absolute perfection.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Since no one has mentioned it yet, love my little Phil Jones AG-100 CUB:

[​IMG]

It's an acoustic guitar amp, but my archtop sounds great through it. Solid body guitars are a bit antiseptic through it and you need a pedal to add some warmth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.