Favorite Small Bands?

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
He's from north carolina. He made a major label record at the end of the 80s and it got shelved. Took a long time for him to get control back so it could be released. He's made lots of records now, all great. I really think he's the future of country music that should've been, and a real genius songwriter. He's a legend to a whole lot of roots musicians, but his fan base stays small. Not sure why. I've been fortunate to see him play live twice.

oh no I mean sound wise. Right at home with the Texas boys

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I never realized how many Canadian bands I'm into. Coney Hatch is another one.

there’s one I thought was pretty great. Carl Hayes maybe? Give me a few I’ll dig it up lol

edit: I was close lol Hayes Carll. But apparently he’s another Texas guy lol. I could have sworn he was Canadian. It’s bugging me now. Who was I thinking of? Very similar to him.

Both may get flagged here. But too good not to share

Last edited:

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I loved the Producers back in the day. She Sheila is an all time great song.

I loved The Producers “back in the day,” and I still do. If you saw them in Wisconsin in the ‘80s, it is very likely that I booked or promoted the show. And when the band reunited in 2000 I was their booking agent for several years. A great band then, and a great band today. They are still out there playing occasionally. I suspect that there is a good chance they’ll be in Wisconsin in 2022.

radtz

Tele-Holic
I loved The Producers “back in the day,” and I still do. If you saw them in Wisconsin in the ‘80s, it is very likely that I booked or promoted the show. And when the band reunited in 2000 I was their booking agent for several years. A great band then, and they’re still out there playing occasionally. I suspect that there is a good chance they’ll be in Wisconsin in 2022.

I never saw them live, but I wouldn't pass up the chance this time around.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
I love Damone. They were a pop punk and power pop band from Boston, MA in the 2000s. One of my favorite rock bands as a teenager. I mostly found out about them because their song Frustrated Unnoticed was on the soundtrack to Rugrats Go Wild. Their lead singer and guitarist Noelle Leblanc is super attractive and a very good songwriter, but for the longest time I always thought she was a boy.

I just started listening to their music again. They really have that Jimmy Eat World, Michelle Branch/Avril Lavigne sound to their music.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I love Damone. They were a pop punk and power pop band from Boston, MA in the 2000s. One of my favorite rock bands as a teenager. I mostly found out about them because their song Frustrated Unnoticed was on the soundtrack to Rugrats Go Wild. Their lead singer and guitarist Noelle Leblanc is super attractive and a very good songwriter, but for the longest time I always thought she was a boy.

I just started listening to their music again. They really have that Jimmy Eat World, Michelle Branch/Avril Lavigne sound to their music.

actually very familiar with their stuff. But 10-15 years ago or however long. That’s the stuff we were playing. That whole pop punk/emo wave

one of my favorite female fronted groups from back then

Dallas based band. Miss them a lot actually. Pasted the wrong link. Haha these were the local group I meant to paste

Last edited:

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Loved them too. I used to cover Behind the Wall of Sheep/Sleep.

The song came to Smithereens’ frontman Pat DiNizio quickly. His band were playing in Boston, sharing a bill with a group called The Bristols, whose bassist Kim Ernst immediately caught DiNizio’s attention. We don’t need to imagine what he saw in her because it’s all there in the first verse of the song.

“She had hair like Jeannie Shrimpton, back in 1965

She had legs that never ended

I was halfway paralyzed

She was tall and cool and pretty

And she dressed as black as coal

If she’d ask me to, I’d murder

I would gladly lose my soul”

Nursing a hangover on a People Express plane back from Boston, DiNizio wrote down the words on a cocktail napkin. The melody came at the same time: “I’m singing the thing to myself for the whole flight, like a mantra, so I don’t forget it. Then I get stuck in traffic for two hours and I’m nearly losing my mind, because I knew I had a good song.”

I met Kim a couple of times, she was friends with a friend's band. Absolute smokeshow in the day, and she could play. He picked a good muse

donrichfan

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Reigning Sound, Black Lips, Redd Kross
Redd Kross is amazing, one of a kind. I grew up in Georgia, but became good friends many years back with a guy from Redondo Beach who introduced me to a few west coast acts, Redd Kross being one of them. This was right before Phaseshifter came out. I went out to see them the following summer at UCLA arena (basketball?) and they blew the roof off. Their guitar dude at the time, Eddie Kurdziel, was exceptionally good. One my most memorable shows. I saw them again when they were on tour for their Researching the Blues record at the Black Cat in DC—downstairs—and they were just as amazing.
They’re a unique band to a fault. The corporate label jaggoffs didn’t know what to think.

runstendt

Tele-Meister
My personal definition of a “small” band would be a band that had regional or even some national success, but only a single hit or so. Using this definition, my two favorites would have to be Fountains of Wayne and Drive by Truckers. If you can get past “Stacy’s Mom”, FOW has some seriously well written and well crafted recordings, almost like a more modern version of the Kinks. DBT has some incredible story songs, and generally produces a good groove behind them.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
From around these parts of the universe I'd go with Lowely Worm, Sezuan Swap Meet and Generators.

Honorable mention to my own music project as one of my main guidelines for style is "music I want to hear at this moment in time".

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
oh no I mean sound wise. Right at home with the Texas boys

Now to me his guitar style, voice, and poetry are all pure appalachia, but it might just be in my head because I know where he's from. I almost feel like I'm in the smokies when I hear him.