favorite prison performance?

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
5vkfno.gif

Deebs3

Tele-Meister
BB at San Quentin... and Tex Perkins doing the Johnny Cash Far from Folsom Tribute Show at Boggo Road Jail (now defunct) here in Brisbane Ausralia...
DarrenB-BoggoRd.jpg

Attachments

• DarrenB-BoggoRd.jpg
    DarrenB-BoggoRd.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 22

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I used to be a prison guard for about 9 years and there were several guys who could really play. Some of those performances just out on the yard were incredible....too bad nobody ever got to hear them outside of the walls.

When you think about it, if you are doing 30 years, you have plenty of time to practice. The guitars were kept with the gym / activities staff so they had to check them out. Getting new strings took a very long time and only nylon was allowed for security reasons.

gimmeatele

Tele-Afflicted
On BB Kings or JC's album, they call out two prisoners names for 'reception' and never fail to wonder what happened to the prisoners.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Lots of good stuff already mentioned, but.

My band played Parramatta Jail a couple of times and Parramatta Girls Home once back in the early 70s.

I wouldn't swap that experience for watching others do the same regardless of how big the names were.

The crims at the jail were all doing long and hard time for being bad in the worst possible ways and we got to mix with them after the show for coffee, cake and talk which was very educational.

The girls weren't there for as bad a crimes but for our safety we were not permitted to mix after the show.
(They'll rip your clothes off before you can blink)

If ever you get the opportunity don't let it go by.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
The Cramps at the California State Mental Hospital, 1978.

I'm SO late to the party when it comes to The Cramps

( always heard about them for decades, in say guitar mags, but never heard them until threads HERE, last few years...)

But they are absolutely intoxicating!
Like the best R&R and attitude to go with it, that I've ever heard. And Poison Ivy's guitar playing, and tone is just perfect. And they stuck to it too!
What I'm hearing here in 1978 is what I'm hearing decades later...

Hell of a band!