Favorite Pick/Plectrum For Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JBFatFingers, Sep 1, 2019.

1. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dunlop .73/.88 nylon, Dunlop "Big Stubby", Dunlop Jazz III(big ones), Dava's and the Fred Kelly "Speed" thumbpick.

Kind of bounce around, depending how I'm feeling. Sometimes you just go with it.:)

2. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I use the Clayton triangular picks, the big ones that are the same shape all the way around. .08mm. I like that I don't have to think about which way it's oriented when swapping between flat-picking and finger-picking. I'm also a little clumsy and the bigger size helps me home on a little better.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

3. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For my electrics I like thin, stiff picks, at least most of the time. Right now, for my #1 tele, it's a Red Bear "Li'l Picker" in light gauge.

4. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

For a long time I was a Tortex Flex or nylon kind of guy, usually 1mm but anything down to .60mm, just to experiment with different thicknesses.

Lately though, I've been branching out. I recently got into Herco Flex 50s and 75s because I'd heard a lot about them, and how could both Jimmy Page and Neil Young be wrong?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O2G9FQ/?tag=tdpri-20
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O2ACO0/?tag=tdpri-20

Herco Holy Grail, another great pick
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGWGV6C/?tag=tdpri-20

Turns out Hercos are great picks and popular for a reason.

To get a little more experimental (for me), I tried and liked the following celluloid picks, which I keep around:

D'Andrea 358 celluloid. The original! A small, mandolin-style pick
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IA68U80/?tag=tdpri-20

D'Andrea RG351. Standard shape, heavy celluloid and great for alternate picking, almost but not quite 1mm which makes them perfect for this kind of pick
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDTYJOS/?tag=tdpri-20

Golden Gate MP-12 Deluxe Tortoise. Another great choice for those who prefer a thick pick. This is a mandolin pick and has a rounded shape, which, combined with the thickness, makes rapid alternate picking easy after an adjustment period
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052S3WFU/?tag=tdpri-20

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I like the fender mediums, they just feel right to me.

6. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I accidentally came to rely on a pick type for my Teles that went extinct without me knowing it.

D'Addario/Planet Waves SurePick, medium (blue), which are .91mm thick, plus a rubbery logo raised for grip.

It's a combination of the size and the grip - they're a 'standard' size/shape pick, but are in fact just slightly smaller than average, so they tuck into the first knuckle area of my middle finger comfortably while allowing me to continue to use that finger - on Teles I'm actually about 90-95% fingers for whatever reason, but I have to always have a pick ready to go.

I got them as something to test out with another guitar, tried one, meh... tucked them away.
    Then I found my way back to Telecasters, and for some reason I decided to try those picks again - perfect.
    I went to that same store, and purchased another 5-pack - that's all they had.

... and it turned out that's all they would ever have, as they had been discontinued. I contacted D'Addario about it. Plus I was asking about remaining stock to attempt to acquire - no luck.
    I scoured the internet and asked questions, and rounded up a few remaining around the world - I think Germany was the furthest, others from the UK (I'm in Canada).
    I also got hold of some of the red/thin and black/heavy to have around in case I found that useful... but it's the Mediums that I like and use.

So if anyone has any of those knocking around, let me know...

My 'backup' to those, which have actually proliferated to the other guitar types as well, are the Tusq picks - they're of similarly slightly small standard shape and size, have logos raised for grip, and they also sound great (there are 3 formulae to try out, bright, moderate and warm - I found I like the white/bright ones, but I tried out samples of the brightnesses and thicknesses of all of them to start with.
    ... I purchased a bag of 75 of those... just in case.

I will say though that the Tusq ones show wear moreso than the D'Addario SurePicks - not a bad thing, it's just that the SurePicks are very long-lasting (thank goodness).

Funny bonus story to drag this out even further; at a sit-in gig ('Telecaster' gig for sure) an older fellow approached me and talked to me. He told me that his daughter was learning to play, and asked where I got 'that' - the 'that' was the pick.
    I told him what to go to the music store and ask for...
    End of the gig he was there asking other things, and I went into my pocket and handed him my spare SurePick, telling him to give it to his daughter and to wish her good luck.

... little did I know that I'd find out just days later that they were discontinued...
    And for a little more, I asked after how old his daughter was - 9

D'oh!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I joined the thick-pick club a few weeks ago. I recently tried one of my old regular picks. I'm not going back. I've given a couple to players I know and they're on board as well. It seems to be a trend that isn't ending anytime soon.

Don't mandolin players call these "plectrums?"

8. BlackieBlues

BlackieBlues TDPRI Member

These guys look like they have it, is this the pick?

http://www.picksgalore.com/planet-waves-surepick.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Mostly Dunlop Tortex, 0.73/yellow or 0.60/orange.
    But I sometimes use the nylon grey Dunlops too.

10. Steve_U1S

Yes, that's them.
    And like all other sources I've found, adding it to cart gives the dreaded "not available to be ordered" / similar message.

Thanks for looking that up - it's appreciated.

11. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

TUSQ

[​IMG]

12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This immediately made me think of this song:

Steve_U1S likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I'm more and more not using a pick at all.........................

14. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Dunlop .96 Delrin flatpicks; Herco Flex 52 thumbpicks

15. Steve_U1S

LOL

That's awesome!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.