Favorite Pick/Plectrum For Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JBFatFingers, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

Dunlop medium Herco picks the silver ones which are a little stiffer then the gold ones.

2. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Dunlop 204 round tip jazz. Nice and thick. Great sound and feel.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thin, small, bright. That's what I like in a pick. Use the same on all guitars, including acoustic.

Fender 451, or 551, celluloid...

4. JohnsonNavinR

JohnsonNavinR TDPRI Member

Dunlop jazz iii of some kind or another, eric johnson, johnpetrucci primetone etc.

5. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

Normally I use the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III John Petrucci Signature 1.5mm, sometimes Dunlop Jazz III Standard Red 1.35 or ChickenPicks Badass III 2.0mm

6. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

Pickboy Pro Pick Ceramic Guitar Picks 100

7. Bandboy

Bandboy TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Love the regular Clayton 1.00mm. They never split or break and feel good.

8. guitphil

guitphil TDPRI Member

Used Jazz III XL's for a long time but found it difficult to transition from from lead / flat-picking to fast strumming and funk rhythm. At some point I went through my collection of picks from 50 years of playing and gravitated towards the Dunlop nylon "grays" and Herco Nylons eventually settling on .73mm gray nylon (regular, not Max-grip). I like to sometimes rotate to the round edge because the grip texture comes into play (both sides of pick) for chime-like tones (think U2 Edge). The texture on the Max-grip isn't printed close enough to the edge of the pick to effectively come into play for this. I find that the 73mm thickness is such that I can vary the stiffness by slightly adjusting my grip on the pick or "choking up" on it. They're plentiful and easy to find in most music shops and they last forever. Actually, I like them when they're a bit worn-in and get a little ratty around the edges.

9. JBFatFingers

JBFatFingers Tele-Meister

After the original post, I grabbed three different varieties of picks to try - Jazz III Max Grip, Jazz III XL Stiffo, and Ultex Sharp 1.14. Quick reviews:

Ultex Sharp 1.14 - Like the thickness, like the shape, like the sound, but it's not quite as "grippy" as I was hoping for. This might be a good choice for rhythm playing.

Jazz III Max Grip - Again, like the shape and the thickness, and the grip is great, but too small. If they made this in an XL size, that might be my ideal pick.

Jazz III XL Stiffo - Probably my favorite of the three. Size, shape and thickness are what I was looking for, and the raised lettering provides a nice grip. Great for lead lines, still getting a feel for it in a rhythm context.

Thanks again for all the suggestions shared in this thread.

El Tele Lobo and RYAN1987M like this.
  10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

deleted

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  11. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Settled in with Ultex in various thicknesses, some pointy, some round... Best overall tone, IMO, and they don't slip.

12. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

I have been using Wegen TF-140s on everything for years. I have (lost last sunday) a Bluechip CT-55, which is the identical thickness and shape to Wegen TF-140. Very similar performance.

I just bought a couple of bags of Dunlop Primetone small triangles at 1.4 (same thickness and shape again). I don't like them as much for instruments with pairs of strings (mandolins, mandolas, and octave mandolins), but they are great for single string course instruments (guitars, 4 string emandos, and 5 string emandos). And they're easier to get here in the French boondocks.

I gave up on thin picks the moment I broke one on my first guitar. I played medium and medium heavies for years when I stuck to strumming guitars. Then when I needed to pick lines and melodies, I moved to heavier picks. And again when I started playing mandolin, especially Bluegrass, I settled on the 140s. I can't go back now! :)

Daniel

13. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I like the purple ones, easier to find them when I leave them somewhere.

14. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

Kelly Speedpick on the thumb and fingertips. Flatpicks just don't work for me.

15. Bob4FrenchFries

Bob4FrenchFries TDPRI Member

Once I tried Everly Star Picks with the 10-pointed star cutout, I haven't looked back. They don't spontaneously go flying out of my hand like a watermelon seed. Green .88 for guitar, Purple 1.14mm for bass is perfect for me.

16. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted

Blue Chip TD 50

17. fivewattworld

fivewattworld TDPRI Member

Blue Chip TPR 60 RB.
    My son bought me the first one for Christmas. I would never have spent the money myself though I never lose picks. And I didn't want it to be everything that it is....but it was/is. (If you follow me.) I used/carried it for a year and love it so much it made me nervous so when my birthday came around I asked for a back up. When it came the bevel wasn't right and I emailed them. They had me return the pick and when the new one came...they'd included a second one, even customized with my YT channel logo, for no additional cost. They didn't even include a note, what they did by way of apology for the missed bevel was obvious.

So classy!

18. Devanatha

Devanatha TDPRI Member

Another vote for Dunlop Jazz III Ultex. Very good for twangy stuff on the lower strings, and they give more body to the treble strings than most picks, I think. They might not work well for smaller gauges, though. I use Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing 12–50 (flatwounds) on all my good guitars, and these picks really get the best out of those great strings.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  19. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I would not have thought it was an unusual position, but I guess I'm wrong: I like regular old medium Fender picks, in the standard shape. I'm amazed at how many of you guys prefer such thick and/or stiff picks. I like a little give in the pick (but not a lot; thins are too floppy). I'm not as worried about transferring the maximum amount of energy into the strings on an electric guitar---I have an amp to make it loud. For acoustic, I do use somewhat stiffer picks. My favorites are actually oddballs: some years ago I bought a number of Eminence speakers, and they each came with a pick or two with the Eminence Patriot series logo. They're the size and shape of regular Fender mediums but they're made of a stiffer plastic, so they hit the strings a little harder. I don't know what it is but I like it on acoustic. When I finally lose the last of them I'll have to figure out some analogous pick from the marketplace.

On bass, I use the blue Tortex picks---it can take a little more to get those big thick strings moving.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  20. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

For all electric guitars only use Dugain "standug" (standard size) - usually in Delrin or acetate, although I also like the glass version for a really snappy attack. They're expensive but worth every cent!

They are a molded pick, with a thumb imprint on the top and an angled finger "rest" on the back. The back/center are 3.77mm thick, and near the tip they're 2.7mm I'm sure that seems ridiculously thick to most players, but 1) the molded shape makes them feel very precise, 2) it's easier (with minimal practice) to develop a light touch and varied dynamics, making your playing more expressive, and 3) the tone/touch you get with a thicker pick can be varied far more than with a thin or even medium.

I started using them via Gypsy jazz and found they were THE electric pick for my style.

https://www.dugainplectrums.com/catalogue-synthetics.html

And FWIW on acoustic guitar I use a couple 50-60 year old (legal, made from old trays) real tortoiseshell picks - large rounded triangles 1-1.2mm thick. NOTHING else sounds like them or has the same feel coming off the string despite marketing claims.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.