Favorite Pick/Plectrum For Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JBFatFingers, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

2. mudshark

mudshark Friend of Leo's

Dunlop Delrin .96 and 1.14 flatpicks and Herco Flex 52 Delrin thumbpicks

3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I am partial to stone picks with all my electrics. I have one that is jasper that I like the most, and I have some that are lapped out of agate slices. But for my acoustic, I prefer the white Ernie Ball picks you can buy as a souvenir at House of Blues. I do not know the details on those picks.

4. chrislhanley

chrislhanley TDPRI Member

Ive tried the graphtech tusq picks recently but find them a bit too stiff so use the dunlop grip .77, .8s all the time on my baja tela and my acoustics

5. daveIT

daveIT Tele-Holic

I use Dunlop Tortex - Standard Green 0.88s. I got a pack of 72 of them awhile back so I’ll be using them for some time...

RYAN1987M likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Fender Extra Heavy Celluloid or Traynor 1.2mm Celluloid (basically the same pick).

7. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

I like medium pointy V-Picks when they're new, but when they start to wear, they seem to go through an annoying period where they grab the string instead of gliding across it. I suppose I could spend the odd afternoon re-polishing them, but I like to think I'm not that much of a dork. I've mostly been using 2mm Gator Grips instead.

8. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

40BED7E1-F276-4169-A3BD-BB0967FC2353.jpeg Since I came across this and purchased 5, it’s the only pick I use on all my guitars. From the year 2525.

urbandefault and Pechorin like this.
  9. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

I really like day Lipshutz* Prime Tone Jazz IIIs, but I’m unsure off the top of my head if they’re the regular or XL versions. Regular I think.

Okay, I got up and looked. XLs in .73mm. Pick details or specs are something I really don’t care or think about much. Until I need more and then I care deeply but can never remember.

Pax/
    Dean
    * “Dunlop” typo that was auto corrected. Left in cos I liked how so totally wrong it is.

10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

All I use on acoustics are the Ultex triangular 1mm.

11. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hold my pick really lightly when I strum. The pick moves between my fingers rather than bending. I never drop them.

I use Fender 358 Extra Heavy for acoustic and electric. $12.99 for half a gross.

12. dorfmeister

dorfmeister TDPRI Member

13. gizzard

gizzard TDPRI Member

Orange tortex for the longest time but I switched to gravity Thins and will never go back. A bit pricier but worth it for sure. You’ll lose them before you wear them out. They also have great grip and a wide variety of shapes and thickness.

14. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

15. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

When I need a new pick I go to Guitar Center and grab a guitar and say to the guy "I wanna try this out. You got a pick?"

The cheap plastic ones sound better than all those fancy fru-fru picks they charge you for anyhow.

16. maxsmith

maxsmith Tele-Meister

Pyramid Celluloid, Extra Heavy.

824774c8cdab3028040631ae9d864003_380x0.jpg

https://www.stringsbymail.com/pyramid-standard-celluloid-flat-pick-extra-heavy-1-20-15669.html

Best quality celluloid picks I have found, with Pickboy T-Shells coming in second, round tone, smooth edges. I use either one of the shoulders, not the point. They make great strings, too - I'm loving the Monel sets right now.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/pyramid-monel-classics-electric-guitar-special-11-48-19044.html

Here are the Pickboy Classics - a little pointier tip and sharper curves on the shoulders.

http://www.osiamo.com/PB55P120

17. snapshot

snapshot TDPRI Member

Ernie Ball prodigy in 1.5 mm.

18. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I really like the newer black John Petrucci signature picks from Dunlop. They're just a little bit bigger than a regular Jazz III.

19. ssfarm

ssfarm TDPRI Member

Since my main task with guitars these days is injecting sound I have to use several different types to accomplish this.

First the Thaila Rosewood 1.0mm pick. Very warm and bold sounding. I do like the recent Tusq XL picks in .68. The glass sound they make add a nice tone in the music. Also the Blue Chip thumb pick and Sheldon finger picks are excellent choices as well. After these the remaining plastic and Tore type picks come in. But the first three or four are my primary choices for sound injection clips.

20. thebird55

thebird55 TDPRI Member

Oh, boy. I'm all over the place with my pick selection. I frequently find myself using a .73 Ultex or Tortex, but thickness and shape can change on a whim. I may grab a Dunlop Sharp or a Dunlop Fin, or even a .50 Jazz III. A Fin is what I'd suggest you try, just for the experience. Then there's thickness. There's the aforementioned .50 Jazz III, and .50 Dunlop Fin, all the way up to a Big Stubby. Or even a Little Stubby. My purple 1.14 Fin and my green .88 Fin seem to have disappeared, but I still have some in .50, .60, .73, and 1.00 (red, orange, yellow, and blue).

It just depends on the situation, and/or how I'm feeling. But, more often than not, I'll have some kind of yellow .73 in my hand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.