Favorite pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Cole LR, Jun 29, 2020 at 6:34 AM.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I am not not massively into pedals but this hasn’t been switched off since I got it. Compressor boost and EQ in one pedal with some secret thing that makes everything sound better.

5718B9E6-12D0-4982-A9F0-6E7043FBC3A5.jpeg

D_Malone and Telecaster88 like this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Favorite cheap pedal?
    Danelectro DO-1 Daddy-O or MXR M-66 Classic Overdrive

Favorite pedal with expression jack?
    I don’t have any, but I think the UniVibe is cool.

Favorite modulation pedal?
    MXR Phase 90

Fav overdrive/boost/distortion/fuzz?
    Overdrive—Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer

Boost—MXR Micro Amp

Distortion—MXR M-86 Classic Distortion (I no longer have it and really don’t like distortion with single coils)
    An overdrive into a fuzz makes for a great distortion pedal.

Fuzz—Dunlop JH-2S Jimi Hendrix System Classic Fuzz

Fav reverb/delay?
    Reverb—the one in my Vibroverb amp (which I don’t use much anyway)
    Delay—MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay

Fav weird pedal?
    Lone Wolf Blues Company Harp Break—a harmonica overdrive/distortion pedal. Makes any amp (or PA system) sound like you’re playing harp through a small tweed Fender amp that’s about to blow up (in a good way)...also, if you play a guitar through the Harp Break, you’ll get that killer “something’s broken” sound that Pat Hare always had back in the 1950’s.

As for other “weird” pedals, I’m looking at a couple of different octave pedals—one for guitar and one for harmonica.

fav multi effects pedal?
    None. I dislike them.

what is something you wish you knew when you were a beginner guitarist trying to build a pedal board?
    Don’t waste time with digital effects, with one exception (Boss RT-200 Rotary Ensemble)

If you could have all pedals made by 1 brand and no other, which brand would you choose?
    MXR

What is your fav weird thing that you like to do concerning the order you put your pedals in?
    I put an overdrive before everything—including modulation pedals like the Boss RT-200, Crybaby Wah and MXR Phase 90–and *then* fuzz and boost afterward...also, the noise gate (Rocktron Hush) goes before the harmonica overdrive/distortion and the delay, otherwise those two won’t work properly.

...and as I mentioned above, an overdrive into a fuzz makes for a great distortion pedal.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 3:19 PM
    8trackmind likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Favorite cheap pedal? Mooer Black Secret (RAT)

Favorite pedal with expression jack? Strymon Volante

Favorite modulation pedal? Walrus Audio Julia (analog chorus/vibrato)

Fav overdrive/boost/distortion/fuzz? Prince of Tone/Timmy/Rat type (Wood Cutter or Iron Horse v.2)/Chase Tone '68 Red Velvet Fuzz

Fav reverb/delay? Tie between Surfy Bear build and Source Audio Ventris. Delay would have to be a tie between Boss DM-3 and the Volante

Fav weird pedal? Whammy V

fav multi effects pedal? Boss ME-50

what is something you wish you knew when you were a beginner guitarist trying to build a pedal board? I didn't bother with a board when I first started in my teens, I bought a Zoom 1010, then a 3030 multieffects. That's what I'd suggest for a beginner: get a good multieffects first to try them all for less money. Go from there, as pedal boards can be so specific at times, and expensive.

If you could have all pedals made by 1 brand and no other, which brand would you choose? Death By Audio first, Catalinbread second.

What is your fav weird thing that you like to do concerning the order you put your pedals in? I run a distortion after delays and reverbs, or in parallel.

eddnix likes this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, my pedalboard has gone unchanged for a few years now, so I found the best of everything that I want or need. I would never consider just one brand of pedals, nor a multi-effects pedal. We are in the golden era of pedals, so take advantage of it. IMG_2987.JPG

sanfi4u and superjam144 like this.
  5. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Favorite cheap pedal?
    BOSS SD-1

None

Boss HF-2 Hi-Band Flanger

Boss SD-1, Rangemaster (clone), DS-1, Big Muff (clone)

Fav reverb/delay?
    Reverb, Boss FRV-, Delay, Boss DD-3

Fav weird pedal?
    Octafuzz

fav multi effects pedal?
    N/A

what is something you wish you knew when you were a beginner guitarist trying to build a pedal board?
    Dont cheap out on the power supply.

If you could have all pedals made by 1 brand and no other, which brand would you choose?
    Boss

What is your fav weird thing that you like to do concerning the order you put your pedals in?
    Nothing weird. Just see what works where, at volume with a band, not at home quietly.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020 at 12:12 PM
  6. Tobias

Tobias Tele-Meister

Cheap: Guv’nor plus.

Pedal w expression that does delay and modulation: flashback x4.

Weird: whammy, bit commander or fuzz factory.

7. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

Favorite cheap pedal?
    Donner Yellow Fall

Montreal Assembly Count to 5

Fairfield Shallow Water

EAE Halberd

Fav reverb/delay?
    Pladask Draume & Taken or Meris Mercury7 & Polymoon, depending on vibe.

Fav weird pedal?
    Gotta go with Count to 5, but I haven't played with an 856 for Zellersasn yet.

fav multi effects pedal?
    Don't really do the multi thing, but I'm really intrigued by the Hologram Microcosm.

PCBs are cheap, and soldering just really isn't that difficult.

Fairfield Electronics, best combo of aesthetics and engineering.

Big fan of the full reverse signal chain (reverb > delay > modulation > dirt > compressor).

8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

If I had to do it all over again I would have skipped buying & trying well over a hundred pedals & just used Strymon.

9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I'll play! Even though my pedal buying days are pretty much over and I need to unload a pile of them I haven't used in a long time, I still peruse pawn shops for deals I can't pass up. Crazy you say? Yes, I agree...crazy! Anyway:

Favorite cheap pedal? I actually have several FCP's. First is an older Guyatone A-1 "Pre-Amp for Acoustic Guitar. Found it stuck behind a bunch of CD's at a pawn shop. Paid $20 for it and it's a beauty. Never tried it with my acoustic, but for electric, it really adds some nice mojo to the proceedings. Next up is a Tone City Bad Horse. Paid $30 for it used (basically new) and I'm very happy with the tones it provides. Touted as a Klon Klone, (never used a klon or klone so can't say how accurate it is) every setting from minimum to maximum is musical and expressive.

Favorite pedal with expression jack? N/A

Favorite modulation pedal? Not much experience with these. Perhaps a Boss Trem I had for a while.

Fav overdrive/boost/distortion/fuzz? Without a doubt, my early 90's Marshall Blues Breaker. It's stayed with me for the past 25 or so years and sent many other O/D's to new owners. Next is a toss up between an MHP 72 Degrees (exceptional overdrive) and a Snouse Black Box 2...which is an amazing Blues Breaker plus much more.

Fav reverb/delay? Don't have a verb pedal, but for delay chores, a used Digitech DL-8 is aces for my needs. Great sounding delays, stereo operation and the modulated delay is wonderful.

Fav weird pedal? Has to be my Digitech EX-7 "Expression Factory" From Univibe to Flange to Rotary to synth swells ( I guess this is my fav modulation pedal) along with Rat/TS/Metal/DOD 250 drive tones. Run stereo this thing simply engulfs you in celestial tones of audio XTC.

fav multi effects pedal? While no really a pedal per se, an older Johnson J-Station does the trick quite well for what I need.

10. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

Favorite cheap pedal? Boss DS-1. There appear to be several million used ones on sale at all times.

Favorite modulation pedal? MXR Phase 90.

Fav overdrive/boost/distortion/fuzz? Fulltone OCD.

Fav reverb/delay? MXR Carbon Copy.

What is something you wish you knew when you were a beginner guitarist trying to build a pedal board? Buy used pedals.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Favorite cheap pedal?

Used Rat and AC-Tone

Eventide H9

Mooger Fooger Cluster Flux

Fulltone OCD

Fav reverb/delay?

Strymon Volante

Fav weird pedal?

Cluster Flux

fav multi effects pedal?

H9

From the 80s (when I started) cheap analog pedals were better than the cheap digital effects rack I bought.

Boss simply because they make a pedal for just about every effect you could want.

Not really that weird but like the sound of playing a Wah into a Phaser

12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

It wasn't so much that I chose to be a 'Boss pedal guy' ( 25+years ago?), so much as that is what I bought ( Tuner, Tremolo, Chorus, DD-3) and have never needed to replace or try out something else.

For OD pedals I use a Boss Blues Driver (which in 2000 replaced a Tube Screamer, just a better fit for a midrangey Blues Jr.- wakes up the amp, great OD!)

Also use the cheapo ( made for GC) MXR Classic Distortion ( more of an OD) or MXR Classic Overdrive ( more a distortion, the way I use it, ha!)

* all pretty cheap, sound great, very reliable! :)

13. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Favorite cheap pedal? Boss BF-2 flanger. At least I think you can still get them cheap used. So many good vibe, vibrato, and chorus sounds.

Favorite pedal with expression jack? Analogman Ardx20 delay

Favorite modulation pedal? Fulltone Supa-Trem. I've had mine forever. It sounds lovely and with those big radio knobs and multiple switches, it's possible to manipulate live while I play. It feels like part of my guitar now.

Fav overdrive/boost/distortion/fuzz? Turbo Rat. Mine is an early one, modified to switch to standard Rat 2 diodes too.

Fav reverb/delay? Fav delay is the Analogman. Fav reverb/delay is Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master. Fun pedal I just got. Huge sounds.

Fav weird pedal? Zvex Fuzz Factory. If you like to play around with noise, this keeps you busy for months. It also has regular fuzz sounds that somehow cut through a mix like a chain saw.

fav multi effects pedal? Dispatch Master, I guess. Verb and delay.

Something you wish you knew when you were a beginner guitarist trying to build a pedal board? Get a good amp before bothering with pedals. Pedals are fun, but they can't make a bad amp sound good. Borrow stuff and save up.

If you could have all pedals made by 1 brand and no other, which brand would you choose? Earthquaker Devices. They have an amazingly diverse product line, and everything I've tried sounds good.

What is your fav weird thing that you like to do concerning the order you put your pedals in? Tremolo last. It's not a weird opinion, except in the fervancy in which I hold it.

igor5 likes this.
  14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I only use overdrive pedals, because I use modeling amps, and I get my modulation, delay, and reverb effects from my amps. But, I find that I get a better drive sound using the amps clean with an overdrive pedal as a low to medium gain dirt box. I've tried many different flavors of overdrive pedal to get the sound I hear in my head with a Strat (or Tele), and Klon types fill that need best, at least for me. They sound the most open, dynamic, and amp like to me than other type pedals. medusa.jpg 010089087xl.jpg s-l1600klon2.jpg
    And, of all the different ones that I've tried, the new Caline Medusa is my all time favorite, followed by the Tone City Bad Horse, and Chinese no name Centaur from Ebay.

3-Chord-Genius and RhythmFender like this.
  15. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

I’ve not used enough effects to be a good judge of all your questions, but the pedal I use the most (it’s the little black one, second from the right) is my harmonic percolator clone from Fredric effects - super dynamic, cleans up great on the volume knob, can be ear screechingly face melty or just really Tubey overdrive or just a kind of a boost. Stacks great with the memory man. I also really like all the other pedals on my board, but I’m still learning about the stereo memory man.

Attached Files:

16. singlecoil

singlecoil Tele-Meister

Lovepedal eternity and my blackline vibrolux reverb and I'm good. Hardly ever use anything else excecpt my tuner of course.

17. junior1995

junior1995 TDPRI Member

this

Attached Files:

18. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

Since I'm not really a pedal guy, I don't know what some of that stuff means. Aside from an ABY pedal I only have 4 pedals and 2 are reverbs.

I have a Lee Jackson Mr Springgy which is a bowl of awesomeness. A Caitlinbread Talisman which doesn't suck. An EP booster which is cool with single coils. And a Mad Professor overdrive which I like enough to not sell like all of the overdrives I bought and hated. :D

A week or so ago I wanted to buy 3 fulltones but I have zero use for them. ;)

19. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Favorite cheap pedal? Ibanez Mini Analog delay is up there

Favorite pedal with expression jack? Catalinbread BED probably (although i dont the expression jack)

Favorite modulation pedal? Not big on modulation but the Monster Effects Swamp Thang is a nice tremolo

Fav overdrive/boost/distortion/fuzz? Kingsley Page / Analogman Sunlion

Fav reverb/delay? CTC White Whale and Catalinbread BED

Fav weird pedal? Neo instruments Micro Vent 16 (not particularly weird but I dont go for those glitchy pedals)

fav multi effects pedal? CTC White Whale (Reverb and tremolo)

what is something you wish you knew when you were a beginner guitarist trying to build a pedal board? IDK..... half the fun is the journey. I wish I knew that Klon’s price would skyrocket I guess

If you could have all pedals made by 1 brand and no other, which brand would you choose? Analogman

What is your fav weird thing that you like to do concerning the order you put your pedals in? My signal chain is pretty conventional

20. Gunerius

Gunerius Tele-Holic

Favorite cheap pedal?
    EHX lpb1
    Chase Bliss Mood

DOD 201 phasor

Wilson 5 knob fuzz / Reuss fz1 clone / Earthquaker Devices Bit Commander

Fav reverb/delay?
    Surfy Industries Surfybear / Caroline Kilobyte

Fav weird pedal?
    Montreal Assembly CT5

fav multi effects pedal?
    Eventide H9

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.