Favorite Pedals to pair with a Tweed Champ

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RYAN1987M, Oct 22, 2019.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I am curious to get a feel for pedals that people enjoy when paired with a Tweed Champ.

I personally love the sound of Tweed Champs and I think they are quite versatile despite being so simple (and having just a single volume knob!). With that said though, a traditional Tweed Champ with an 8" speaker can be a bit picky about what pairs well with it.

I've found my Fender '57 Custom Champ to be a great pedal platform! I think most pedals sound wonderful through it. But I'm curious to see what others think? What pairs well with your Tweed Champ?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. RYAN1987M

And, before it happens…"The whole point of a 5W amp is to crank it" and "You don't need OD pedals with a Champ"…
    1. 5W through an 8" speaker is very loud! Yes, I can crank the volume up to 12 without blowing out the windows of my house…but I think many would be shocked by the sheer volume that such a tiny amp can produce.
    2. I think the most ideal natural overdriven sounds are at about 6 or 7 on the dial (and it's still very loud at that level). I think a lot of people feel that many famous songs were recorded with a Tweed Champ on 12…but I'd venture to guess that those famously crunchy tones were achieved with the knob set below 8.
    Anyways, I guess my point is this - for the sake of your eardrums, it can still make sense to use an OD pedal with a Tweed Champ!

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I'll start there. Crank it up. I don't care for how Tweed amps sound when hit by extra gain stages. If I was looking to hit a preamp with pedals, it wouldn't be a Champ because it stops sounding like a Champ real fast.

4. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Find the sweet spot for the overdrive on a Champ and use it that way. Add reverb, delay (modulation if you must) as necessary. In my opinion, if you don’t use the natural overdrive on a Champ, you’re better off finding a better clean tone with a different amp (maybe even solid state) and using pedals to get your drive.

5. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I’d use either a blues driver, or a soul food or maybe a tube screamer. All three are various levels of transparent and will bring out the amps natural od at lower volume. Maybe the soul food (or another klon clone) is best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RYAN1987M likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I think the Champ is a great platform for boosts and transparent overdrives. I've used a comp into a TC Electronic Spark Booster (Fat setting) with great results. Now I'm using a JHS Prestige boost into a Mosky Golden Horse (mini Klon clone). Thinking of trying a Barber Gain Changer or a Danelectro Breakdown in the future.

My favorite sound is the Champ wide open, especially with a 12" speaker like I have...but my tinnitus (and my neighbors) can't handle it. So I use pedals.

Now and then, though, when they're all at work and I have some good earplugs in, I crank that sucker up and wail!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  7. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Muchxs champ with 6x9 jensen...its the best champ I've ever played

VFE Old School Trem
    EQD Dispatch Master for verb and delay

Like to run clean 3-4, OD 5-6, dist beyond...of course regulated by git vol and tone

RYAN1987M likes this.
  8. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Tweed Champ > pedals.

RYAN1987M and twangjeff like this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Too many variables with different amps having different speakers with different efficiency and different room sizes and distance from the amp but I usually think the “crank it” crowd must already have a fair amount of hearing damage.

OP I think unfortunately you need to try some different pedals on your own. It’s too hard to tell because different guitars and playing styles matter. I would not be afraid to try stuff from different broad categories. E.x just cause the internet claims tube screamers are for scooped amps doesn’t mean you wouldn’t like them with your rig.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

MXR Micro Amp

That is all...

RYAN1987M and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

Isn't that a little hard on the champ?

RYAN1987M likes this.
  12. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Well I don’t have a champ but I use a fender custom 57 deluxe, I have a bunch of pedals and planned on using them but since I got the amp I stopped using any pedals. I would use a touch of delay but it seemed any delay pedal I had would add alittle extra noise, it could be a cable or something though but I haven’t tried it in awhile. I have a good amount of ODs and boosts but I feel like the amp gives me enough mids and compression already.

I might try some of the pedals again tonight because I’m curious to see what happens

High Head Brad and RYAN1987M like this.
  13. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I can get behind some reverb or trem, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around using overdrives with a Champ. At the end of the day, its whatever you find to be inspiring! Rock on!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've never been fond of pushing a Champ with any sort of boost/ OD/ dist but will use a little delay for a reverb effect.

If I had only the one amp I might choose to use drive pedals, but in that case I would not stick with the stock tiny speaker.

While the idea of a small overdriven amp has merits, I really don't think a small amp is well suited to being overdriven by pedals, because the circuit IMO just falls apart when the front end is pushed.
    But if the OD pedal is run at unity gain it can change the sound while keeping the simple circuit running with integrity.
    Maybe better to use a fuzz or dist pedal rather than an OD if you're not overdriving the amp.

Plenty of players like the sound of an amp that's "about to melt down", but I don't like the way the bottom turns mushy and the attack is lost.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  15. RYAN1987M

Never crossed my mind...but I've always wanted to try one!

Fiesta Red likes this.
  16. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

My Tweed Champ gets no pedals. I adore setting it at about 4.25 and reveling in the greatest "clean" sound on the planet!

El Tele Lobo and RYAN1987M like this.
  17. RYAN1987M

I definitely do enjoy that as well! For whatever reason, I've started to sometimes plug into Input 2 and I find I'm liking it. Have you ever experimented? I'm only using single-coil Tele's.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

My Champ is not tweed, it's a late 1964 model, 100% stock, and unless I was playing a genre of music of which the amp is just not suited, I just don't see how a pedal could improve the sound. Change the sound? Of course, but not (to my ears) improve it.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

I use input 2 a lot also!

RYAN1987M likes this.
  20. El Tele Lobo

My Champ has great cleans too...even better with a 12" ceramic speaker!

RYAN1987M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.