Favorite pedal to push your Princeton / PRRI

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Jul 1, 2021.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Since all (or most) BF/SF Fenders have the same tone stack, I've found that OD pedals that work good for one model tend to work equally well for others.

For me personally, that equates to an OD with at least some mid emphasis, and a bit of bass rolled off. It then comes down to being able to fine tune the treble response, to work with how the amp is set, and what speakers are being used. Translation - I actually don't care for anything TS-like for that reason, because I'm usually fighting to get the treble response in the sweet spot, and hate having to screw around with the treble knob on the amp, and ending up with a compromised clean tone when the pedal is off.

...I'll also echo what some others have said about using bass-heavy pedals such as a BD-2, OD-3, or ODR-1 with the lower-powered BF/SF Fenders - unless you run them with the gain really low, they just don't cut it. And because you're restricted to running the gain low, I'd look to other pedals that are much more flexible thru their gain ranges.

Lastly, I love BF/SF Fenders with 10s in them. They just do something sonically for me that a DR or TR can't match. Pairing up a PR with the right OD is probably similar, for that reason.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Wondering how the Barber Gain Changer would work into a Princeton? The center setting on the left hand toggle switch is called the Fat Mids setting. It's not nearly as mid emphasized as a typical TS, just a nice bump that sits well in a mix. The Gain Changer works great with my Vox AC-15 and my Hot Rod Deluxe. Here's someone's demo into a Deluxe Reverb...

This demo is into a Swart AST amp...20 watts/6V6 tubes

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

That would be nice, but the wife does not agree with you - will have to employ the brake-lite, but still not sure I could get to 10 at home.

The bassman is the only amp I have really like the Tubescreamer with. My current screamer of choice is the Maxon VOP-9 which adds a little low end to the traditional screamer tone and fattens it up. This has worked great with my California Tweed but won't get to try it with the PRRI until after the July 4th holiday.

I think you are trying to get me to buy another pedal...:lol:

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

bluesholyman likes this.
  5. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I have the Tweed '65 PRRI 12" Celestion. It is LOUD when pumped up! More than I would had thought.

bluesholyman likes this.
  6. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 Tele-Meister

Have a stock PRRI - typically run it wet/dry with a ‘64 Gibson Scout RVT & often only use a Joyo American. Sounds good just with the PRRI too - pretty happy with the grit & breadth of distortion you can get from this one pedal.

7. Glen W

Glen W Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Gain Changer sounds great in either low or high gain settings. If in low setting I like the gain at about 2 o'clock for some Albert Collins type sting. But the pedal is so versatile you can dial in a touch, or a bunch of OD. This is with my 1968 PR with an Eminence Copperhead. Similar results with my old DR and SR.

Another cool pedal - with a bit more mid forward coloration - is the J Rockett Dude. It has a low-mids (Deep) control that when dialed up about half-way, can have the PR sounding bigger than it is. And it cleans up so nice with volume and touch.

lousy13 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  8. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

EP booster (always on)
    King of Tone for dirt and lead/dirtier

Does the trick

9. bluesholyman

Two questions:

1) How would you describe the transformation?

2) Which Celestion Alnico did you use? I would need to find a 12" version of it to give it a try.

10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have a 12" PRRI SE (15watts) Sweetwater Tweed edition, did not care for the C-Rex in it at all.
    I ended up with a 12" Celestion Cream Alnico
    • rated at 90 watts it's way overkill for the Princeton, meaning tons of clean headroom. With the P12Q's small magnet, the speaker breaks up before the amp does
    • the sound with the cream alnico is huge without sounding compressed, no easy feat in such a small cabinet. It seems like the dispersal is better than other speakers I've tried in a small cab. My Deluxe sits home now.
    • alnico means great sparkly cleans, the bass is strong but tight (important in a Princeton IMO)
    • the sound is so big on 4 that I never turn it up any higher than that, even with IEMs. I've actually never played the amp at natural overdrive level for any length of time. So I use a Wampler Euphoria for overdrive which gives a pretty good facsimile to what the amp would sound like above 5.
    • It's a Celestion so the overdrive tone is gorgeous, smooth and creamy.
    * I think a Celestion Gold would also be a great match for that amp. Both of these speakers are made in England so you're looking at $250-300, but worth it IMO.

bluesholyman likes this.
  11. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Don't laugh- MXR Distortion Plus.

bluesholyman likes this.
  12. rdjones

rdjones Tele-Meister

EP101 FET preamp
    jnwau8gwhi12ddmvum8w.png

bluesholyman likes this.
  13. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

I tend to favour a low gain / transparent OD for my Princeton and something more mid heavy like a klone for my Deluxe Reverb.
    My favourite OD with my '68 non reverb Princeton is the Blackstone MosFet OD. If I want more overdrive I stack it with the Strymon DECO or a fuzz.
    PS : the KOT is also extraordinary with the Princeton (but it's great with any amp !)

bluesholyman likes this.
  14. bluesholyman

I would never laugh at the MXR Distortion Plus - its like the Chuck Norris of overdrive pedals.

I have the Catalinbread Epoch Pre (the big grey box) - I suspect it will do a similar thing, so I'll have to give it a try.

15. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

A set of P90s, a slab of mahogany (Hamer Special), and a cable. All volumes on 10; tone to taste.

At least that's what makes my '71 Princeton (non-reverb) sound its best.

I've used a number of different boosts from pure clean, to clean w/eq (EP Booster style), just a tinge of dirty (Rocktron Austin Gold), other overdrives (Fulltone, Love Pedal, etc.) All of those can be made to sound good but not beat the just-enough kick-in-the-pants that the P90s give it. And it's not just the output. My neck pickup, a Lollar, is fairly flat from high to low with just a little roll-off on both ends. The bridge is a Seymour Duncan with tons of honking midrange. Both do things to the Princeton that I haven't replicated with a pedal and the same or other guitars.

bluesholyman likes this.
  16. bluesholyman

I had one of these - cool pedal. I can see P90s doing something special to a Princeton...

17. e44crowe

e44crowe Tele-Meister

EHX east river drive (TS) with my 65 PRRI. set the amp just at the edge of breakup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.