Favorite pedal for tele neck pickup?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluebirdrad, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

If turning up the amp doesn't do it, this works great for me too. ^^^. It let's you drive the front end of the amp, accentuating the frequencies you choose.

Manual Slim and bluebirdrad like this.
  2. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

Yes that is what I've been doing with my Tone Job eq pedal.

Manual Slim and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

My Digitech Bad Monkey works well for punch when set right. It's all in the tweaking.

bluebirdrad likes this.
  4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I love that too - with the Bad Bob Boost on mine, which really makes it extra versatile.

bluebirdrad likes this.
  5. jamesepowell

jamesepowell TDPRI Member

Boss Blues Driver w/ a little delay from a Carbon Copy

Kontaktmoi and bluebirdrad like this.
  6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Forgot to add the Tone City Bad Horse to my post. It's reported to be a Klone and since I've never used a real Klon, I have no idea how it stacks up to the real deal.....however, I love this little pedal. No matter where you pt the controls, it sounds stellar and works beautifully with a tele neck pup.

El Tele Lobo and bluebirdrad like this.
  7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Lately, Blues Breaker v1 or SD-1.

8. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

A clean boost to drive the signal.. Just a TAD over unity gain. I have a simple Katana Clean boost then into a Boss BD-2 to put " some hair" on the tone as needed. If you have good tremolo, try a very subtle tremolo on at all times. Of course 3 on the Reverb knob and last stomp box before the amp a digital delay for a slap-back or just a luscious tail.

bluebirdrad likes this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

Depends.

A good fuzz on the neck pickup, with the tone rolled off around halfway makes a mighty fine sound. Add in a slapback into a tremolo into reverb and it's great for atmospheric fingerpicked swampy bluesy stuff when played through a Champ-a-like.

Light overdrive with just a little frizz on the hair 'round the edges. Tone up, delay ( slapback ) to fatten it a little into a crispy Champ. When the wah treadle goes nose down, it breaks up rather wonderfully.

Clean(ish) amp, slapback to increase its girth from a size 10 to a graspable size 14. Rock the wah and get the funk out.

Just a compressor and slapback ( I like a little slap and tickle ) into the amp with the amp at the point where really digging in causes it to break up, backing off and it cleans up to a menacing clean.

Too many people overlook just how good the neck pickup on a Tele can be. It's just as versatile as the bridge, but with a different voice.

10. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Or stack 'em. Check this out -

8trackmind and bluebirdrad like this.
  11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

IMO... Tele pickups are very well balanced (when bought as a set). The bridge pickup isn't too bright, the neck pickup isn't too dark, volume is generally balanced & together they create the Tele Jangle that has it's own sound.

To answer the question of this thread.... I don't use a specific pedal to add "punch" to a tele neck pickup. I use the same pedals with the same settings across the entire guitar, regardless of pickup choice. I add punch with a light compressor, I add crunch with a Timmy, I add lead OD tones with a Tube Screamer (often stacked with a Timmy), etc... etc... but nothing special is done to the neck pickup alone...

12. bluebirdrad

bluebirdrad Tele-Meister

Maybe if you think about it you use one of the pedals more often for the neck pickup. My Timmy sounds great on both but I don't like a TS on the bridge. But I get what you mean. I think my neck pickup on my new guitar is just too bassey. Not in balance like you say.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is silly.

artdecade likes this.
  14. DNestler

DNestler Tele-Meister

Favourite pedal right now, whether I'm playing emando or esquire, is an Origin Effects SlideRig. Made specifically for slide, it's a pair of chained preamps with compression circuits. It's a brilliant bit of kit.

It's larger than two Boss pedals put together, but a really useful tool. I generally use the 'rhythm' channel for a bit of compression and the 'lead' channel for clean boost. It really pushes the tubes in my Ampeg and makes for wonderful overdrive.

They have since redesigned the controls and dropped the circuitry into a much smaller pedal. Highly recommended.

Daniel

15. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Stick to a '50 Esquire and you won't have this problem in the future.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  16. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I have never used a pedal for anything, other than a reverb pedal for my one amp that has no built in reverb. On very rare occasions a slap or echo.

Clean with bit of reverb is about all I need.

17. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Huge differences depending on WHICH telecaster. My current " NON-CS" Tele favorite is a 2007 AVRI Custom '62 with Custom Shop pups. These pups have cohones!. Just Katana into Digital delay ( Ibanez DL-10) for this one.
    For CS Tele Nocaster 2000 with Nocaster pups Katana or BOSS-BD2 in line into DL-10.
    But... look behind you and see where that sound is amplified... yep... an AMPLIFIER... That makes the difference and I think discussions like this are pretty useless unless you know the whole story. Which amp. For me, typically, I would use a LTD Reissue Deluxe Reverb or 65' LTD ED Princeton reverb.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    TokyoPortrait likes this.
  18. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

I envy players that can make a guitar sound full and complete just plugging it into an amp without reverb. If you can bottle that skill or ability.. I will buy it !! I need everything out there to have my sound match what I hear in my head! LOL.

19. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Absolutly! While that's not the sound I usually try to emulate, I have stacked multiple OD's for lead tones for a long time now and love what you can get with two low gain OD'S.

20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the pickup switch

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.