Favorite overproduced albums

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Digital Larry, Dec 5, 2019.

1. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

anything by Tears For Fears

Marquee Moon, Steve 78 and MrGibbly like this.
  2. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Any one of the posthumously released Hendrix albums.

DaveGo, Rufus and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

So, you are saying that 99% of his catalog is overproduced?

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  4. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Yep but masterfully overproduced.
    Nobody knows what his creative vision was and he wasn't around for that 99% so we get the McDonald's happy meal versions that are incredibly good regardless.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    BeatlesAreMyJam, Deathray and vid1900 like this.
  5. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I second this.

"Sowing the Seeds of Love:" That mix still amazes me. It's over-produced, sure, but a technical masterpiece.

6. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I’d say the first Boston album and a lot of Queen is overproduced, but also that’s THE sound.

One could argue really convincingly that those wouldn’t be classic albums without being over the top.

CK Dexter Haven and MrGibbly like this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

"Overproduced" could be more objectively judged according to the artists themselves, i.e. when they have stated the producer(s) betrayed their music.
    In this case, I would vote Nevermind by Nirvana: relatively to their other released music, it surely sounds far more "produced", but I love it the way it is. They notoriously were unhappy with Butch Vig's production though.

I'm not sure if he really was unhappy with the production, but I would say that Jeff Buckley's Grace debut album is a bit overproduced, especially relatively to the way he played the songs live. Buckley's singing could sound a bit mannered sometimes, so I think a rawer sound was balancing it nicely. Grace is nevertheless a favourite of mine, and the production makes it sound delicate and refined.
    When working on what would unfortunately become his posthumous second album, Buckley asked producer Tom Verlaine (which he admired from the Television era) to split with the sound of Grace. Of course he passed when he was planning to re-record the entire album, so nobody can judge what it would have ended sounding, but the irony is I find the Verlaine's sessions are as much "produced" as Grace was.

Coincidentally, these two albums were mixed (and also produced in the case of Grace) by Andy Wallace.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  8. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

“Be Here Now” - Oasis

“The Slider” - T. Rex

And I love both of those albums, almost because of the over production. Those bands at the time of those albums are flying high (in more ways than one), completely in love with the fame they’ve achieved and totally in love with themselves. And you can hear it on the albums and it helps make those albums pretty great, imho.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Never Mind the Bollocks. Impeccable production – viewed as one of the pinnacles of the punk rock sound and aesthetic.

Same with first three Ramones albums. Absolutely perfect production – largely viewed as a sonic pinnacle of punk "rawness."

These sonic cornerstones of "dirty" punk rock are actually some of the best produced records of all time IMO.

Raw Power, OTOH, is another of those cornerstones (while not being a "punk" record itself), and it is one of the worst produced famous records of all time. It improved markedly when remastered from the original tracks for digital. I can't listen to it on vinyl. It's awful. Songs are great, playing is great...but it is significantly worsened by it's production, and that's stating it mildly.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  10. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

Also “End of the Century” by the Ramones. Phil Spector working with a punk band. It wasn’t fun for them to make but the songs are great and the production is just so weird I can’t help but love it.

stevemc and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  11. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

the first album i had that i thought was overproduced was 'leftoverture' by kansas.i started hitting up the punk and new wave after that.

Deathray likes this.
  12. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I do not know if the term "overproduced" applies, because I tend to think that if it sounds good, it is not overproduced so to speak.
    Anyway, Lou Reed's "Berlin", Leonard Cohen's "Death of a ladies man", or "End of the Century" by The Ramones are among my favorite "produced in an unusual way (if not overproduced)" albums, compared to the rather stripped sound presented on other albums by these artists

Marquee Moon likes this.
  13. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

upload_2019-12-6_14-28-29.jpeg

jonnyfez likes this.
  14. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

The Phil Spector ...Let it be ... By and large Ughhh

15. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Any album produced by Jeff Lynne. Yet, I still love him.

Marquee Moon and Mexitele Blues like this.
  16. HighlonesomeF5

HighlonesomeF5 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I thought Boston recorded live in studio? Or was it they didn't use synthesizers? I will ask my cousin, they recorded one of his songs (Cant Ya Say) on the Third Stage album.

17. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

No real opinion on these. Re: QUEEN, I’m really a fan of only their singles. Same with BOSTON. And recently have only heard them on the radio where compression can make anything sound good.

:hides

However my recollection of hearing both bands on a high school friend’s expensive system is that they sounded huge. That 70s drum sound is thunderous. And the guitar sounds are unimpeachable.

18. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

To me, anything with the "phil collins drum sound" is over-produced. That's pretty much all the music of an entire decade.

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  19. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

Agree. Whoever decided to record drums in the 80s the way they often did should be strung up...

20. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

First thing that comes to mind are the Miles Davis studio albums from Bitches Brew to the Jack Johnson soundtrack.

Here's some Sonny Sharrock playing mostly left on the editing room floor as far as the original LP is concerned:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.