Favorite overdrive for a DR[RI]?

DavidP

Friend of Leo's
The DRRI can be fussy with pedals. If you can get somebody to lift the vibrato channel's bright cap, it might open up some more possibilities. A lot of players like this mod and, if done right, it can easily be reversed.
Put in a push-pull pot so you can readily disengage/engage the bright cap.
WRT overdrive, you simply can't go wrong with a Barber Gain Changer SR -- its an incredibly versatile pedal!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
When I owned my '68 Deluxe Reverb ( with 'snipped' bright cap), I used either the Vox Valvetone 810 OD ( really a Tube Screamer, but it looked cool!) and later a Barber Direct Drive

My stock Blues Driver ( which I use on all my current amps, all small) just was not a good match for the DR. Lacked the midrange push and kind of fizzy ( not like this with my BJ and Pathfinder)

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
When I owned my '68 Deluxe Reverb ( with 'snipped' bright cap), I used either the Vox Valvetone 810 OD ( really a Tube Screamer, but it looked cool!) and later a Barber Direct Drive

I've had that same Vox pedal....twice. Didn't really understand how to use Tube screamers at the time so ended up moving on from it, but probably one of my favorite TS-flavored pedals.

Never had a direct drive, but as much as I read about them, I expect to get one at some point....but probably not in the near future.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I've had that same Vox pedal....twice. Didn't really understand how to use Tube screamers at the time so ended up moving on from it, but probably one of my favorite TS-flavored pedals.

Never had a direct drive, but as much as I read about them, I expect to get one at some point....but probably not in the near future.
I've never used any Tube Screamer type...
( and I've owned 7-8, all pretty similar to me; but just curious to try...)
...they way you are 'supposed to'- at high Level and very low Drive/Gain.
I always used them for the distortion they actually produced, say with Drive at 1:00-2:00 and Level at just over unity ( from pedal OFF volume)
Then I would 'toggle' with TS pedal footswitch between clean Fender amp sound and dirty Fender amp sound.
I didn't know any different, and thought things sounded pretty good that way!

Now I tend to just leave either my OD pedal ON at Drive and Level at NOON and just control from guitar Volume knob.
The old R&R/blues or R&B I do just doesn't need much more than that.

I will add a Rat clone if I'm going to play some harder Rock ( maybe '70's hard rock), than usual.

( just seen to be able to get the distortion sound I want to hear at whatever volume needed, so far, better with a Rat, vs. a fuzz, or Big Muff- they all seem to overwhelm me with volume- hard for me at the moderate volume we play)

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
My BB Pre-Amp works exceptionally well with my SFDR. I think the key is it has a pretty wide range and flexibility when it comes to EQ and drive.

AxeVictimAZ

Tele-Holic
My amp is a ‘70 SFDR. I got it ‘72 and since ‘81 I’ve used a big box Rat. The thing so many people don’t get is the Rat is way more versatile than they think. Keep the drive level at about 9:30-10:00 and it’s a warm smooth sound.
The Barber stuff mentioned before is also good.
If I’m using a Tele, I will switch the Rat for a Gain Changer.
Everything else, 335,Strat, Gretsch, Les Pauls all get the Rat.