1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite Melodies to Quote Over 12 Bar Blues?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Axis29, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Remembering the Playful thread that popped back up the other day and something I've been working on/toward recently.... Do you quote other songs during your solos? Do you slip into other songs during your solos? If so, what are some of your favorites. I'd really like to know what y'all are throwing in over 12 bar Blues songs.

I tend to quote little tiny one or two bar melodies at most these days, but want to work it up into bigger, longer bits. They also usually pop out on me, without me really thinking about it much. i hear some specific change and I think, 'oh, that sounds like blah'. If I'm lucky enough that the drummer and bass player play the same thing next time around, I'll try to throw it on them.

One of the first ones I became aware of was the Allmans quoting things like Frere Jacques or more recently Junior Watson throws some stuff in. Lotta guys throw the Flintstones or other cartoon themes in from time to time, etc.

How about you guys?

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

One I added recently is the hook from "Les Brers in A Minor" from Eat a Peach. It fits in nicely over the V chord.

Axis29 likes this.
  3. Valvey

Valvey Tele-Holic

I've been quoting "Cherokee' when playing a fast blues after hearing this at 1:26. The half notes of the melody work nicely at a fast tempo.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Axis29 likes this.
  4. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

Blue Monk if its a swing (only because its the first to come to mind in the moment)

If its a minor blues, it's fun to throw in "So Fresh So Clean" quote (Outkast). :cool:

Axis29 likes this.
  5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wipeout
    American Bandstand
    In the Mood
    The Flintstones
    Heartbreak Hotel

stinkey and Axis29 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.