Favorite Maple Neck Tint/Finish Method?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tiskit86, Jun 21, 2013.

1. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I'm about to do a number of maple necks and was going over all the different ways I've done it in the past and trying to consider the best looking yet easiest application. Stains, oils, lacquers, tinted lacquers, ambers, honey-ambers with a touch of brown mahogany Trans-tint, etc.

What are your favorite tints/colors for a plain maple 1-piece neck, and how do you apply them - both the color and the finish?

pics are good too!

2. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

there are different degrees of coloration for roasted maple but I prefer mine this color and with 0 tinting. just a clear nitro finish. some come as dark as dark chocolate.

I think it would be a crime to tint this wood.

I supplied this wood to USA Custom Guitars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL

if you are interested go to...... sharps lumber...... and ask if they have any highly figured roasted maple. or regular figure if you like.

they have a minimum order of 100 dollars... BUT.

the average price for a really nicely figured Roasted blank that is roughly 27 x 4 x 1.5 is at least 180 dollars.

if they still have the same stuff and are selling for the same price ( 2 months ago they still had this wood )

they will sell you enough for 3 blanks and will be less than or right around 125.00 dollars including shipping.

I payed 110.00 dollars last year for 1 large piece of roasted figured flame maple roughly 90 x 7 x 1.5.

thats less than 40 dollars a blank.... including shipping. they also cut it into 3 blanks for free.

which is less than you will pay for 1 blank from any place else I have found.... and I have looked.

its also hard to find in 4in width.

Renel on Ebay has beautiful wood. he is in Nova Scotia Canada and he has some of the only 4 inch I have seen... ut like I said it is at least 180 dalloars a blank + shipping.

when I was first looking last year all he had was 3 in wide. I told him if he got 4 inch he would sell more. now he supplies 4 wide... but is not there all the time and sell many knife handle blanks.

he also had mostly had birdseye. but has both flame and birdseye.

[​IMG]

3. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Those are gorgeous. I wouldn't tint a roasted maple neck either.

4. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

For regular (not roasted) maple, I like Stew-Mac ColorTone vintage amber stain - mixed in water - followed by Tru-Oil.
    I like 'em kind of a dark amber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

6. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Yes, those are the ones.
    I prefer to mix with water, some use alcohol.

I put it directly on the bare wood (after 'whiskering') then, when fully dry, several thin coats of Tru-Oil.

7. MatthewK

MatthewK Tele-Holic

(1) purchase neck in 1951
    (2) wait

8. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I've used a variety of methods, but the main one has been to seal w/ amber shellac, then Tru-Oil or gloss clear lacquer over that. I use a mix of garnet and amber shellac flakes, which gives a nice - in between - amber color, which can be controlled by how many coats you put on. I've had the most success with using the preval sprayers for the shellac since it doesn't like to go on w/ a rag or brush very well. Even then, I've occasionally had a run or a bad spot and had to start over because it doesn't spot fix well at all.

These are Tru-Oil:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is shellac w/ gloss clear lacquer. I like the lacquer look better, but don't like the feel or the curing time as much as TO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm wondering about other finishes though, because I'm finding the shellac a little finicky. It's the color that's hard to get right w/out shellac I think. Here's a mahogany finished with just Danish Oil. No grain fill. Feels great. Smooth.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.