Favorite John Prine album???

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by E5RSY, Feb 19, 2019.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Not really a bad one in the bunch...but, I am pretty partial to "The Missing Years".

The guy is a national treasure.

Scott

2. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

(Never mind. The thread topic was changed.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite John Prine album is his first, aka " Illegal Smile" - IMO one of the best debut albums by any artist, any style.
    There is not one less than stellar song on that record, but Paradise, Sam Stone, Hello in There, Illegal Smile, Donald and Lydia- wow!
    I also love Sweet Revenge ( #3) and Diamonds in the Rough ( #2) is raw, barely produced ( pretty much live in studio) and bare emotion

The first John Prine album I bought was Common Sense ( trying to turn JP a hit maker, even a disco song- some say his worst) as it actually got airplay on AOR radio in the mid '70's so I bought it!
    Still like it as I just played the hell out of the few LP's I owned, just imprinted on me.
    His new album is fantastic!

soulman969, Jim W and rand z like this.
  4. mally

mally Tele-Holic

sam stone and Dear Abby

5. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

For me, his first, John Prine. Second would be Sweet Revenge. Also like German Afternoons and The Missing Years. Actually like them all.

Chiogtr4x and rand z like this.
  6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

yep, I kinda like them all as well, but one that stands out to me at the moment is "Bruised Orange" - it was produced by Steve Goodman, after Prine had parted company with Atlantic and moved over to Asylum.

Best I can tell, songwriting is always a struggle, life goes on longer than we prepare for - even for someone who makes it look effortless. I read somewhere that Prine had worked on most of these songs for a while, talked to a bunch of producers and was about ready to give up on the whole batch until Steve Goodman sort of volunteered to produce.

"Frustrated, Prine went to Los Angeles and spoke with several "big-time producers" but admitted to Zollo that had lost his enthusiasm for the project: "I talked to, Christ, twenty different producers, really great guys, great producers. Big-time producers. And I just didn’t want to do it. I just didn’t have the heart to do the record again. And Goodman said he would do it."

Also found out that one of the songs on Bruised Orange was a co-write with Phil Spector...which kind of weirds me out, but the world is always more complicated and wonderful than I imagine. Many people have a period where their talent and focus all seems to come together, of a moment, and then, like a flash, it passes.

Not so with Mr. Prine.

Hop2it and howardlo like this.
  7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Great Days A John Prine Amthology

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

9. E5RSY

That may explain Prine's hairdo on the cover. :D

teletimetx likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

tyler mahan coe will laugh... but his first one.... it has the two songs I still play all the time.

howardlo likes this.
  11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I like just about every John Prine thing I have ever heard, but I came to know him only in the last 5 years, so I don't have a sense of the albums my favorite songs are from, or even the decade some of them came out. His stuff is so timeless.

12. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

He's so good that he gives Dylan a "run for the money." (Difference is, Prine has a sense of humor.)

Unfortunately, he's not in very good health... I've never seen him, but I'm gonna try ASAP.

13. E5RSY

Did he do an episode on Prine? I don't recall one.

14. getbent

no, on his other podcast, he consistently says 'if the first album is the one you like best by the artist'.... (then some really negative stuff which is also the title of his podcast.

I like john prine though. I have seen him several times... I think hello in there and paradise are as good as a song can get.

15. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

My dad had Prime Prine on vinyl and the first song he taught me was Please Don't Bury Me. So, that one.

I literally ran into him once in the 6th floor hallway of the Ramada Inn in downtown Columbia, MO while I was delivering a pizza. Although he seemed a little out of it, he was amused and polite as 20 year old me stammered out some star-struck BS. He asked my name and said there would be 2 tickets waiting for me at will call the following night. The man is a class act for sure.

sad99 likes this.
  16. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

That is the one that I have always said I wanted played at my funeral! (for real)

I have seen him a few times at the Earl Of Old Town in Chicago. One time with Steve Goodman and Bonnie Koloc (a great singer). Never could understand why she wasn't more well known.

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  17. E5RSY

I just watched the most recent ACL episode of his again, and I was surprised at how many songs he did from the first record. Apparently, he likes it, too.

Scott

getbent likes this.
  18. getbent

I have heard that your first record is the compilation of 10 years of work and the second 6 months... etc...

19. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

#1 Sweet Revenge
    #2 S/T

20. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I like them all.

I am seeing him live in Brisbane in less than 2 weeks.

Been waiting nearly 50 years for him to play here in Australia. He is as good as it gets.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.