Favorite Hunter S Thompson Quotes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My favorite and something I have sorta lived by ever since:

“The Edge... There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.”

mycroftxxx, Rustbucket and Greggorios like this.
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Song of the Sausage Creature -

[​IMG]

Obsessed and Greggorios like this.
  3. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I was blessed to meet HST in a seedy Denver bar, in the middle of a terrible snow storm - he was genial, eclectic, and genuine...and he'd been my favorite for years by then. My signature line is one of his better quotes -

4. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I was going to correct it but couldn’t find the edit button.

Greggorios and OmegaWoods like this.
  5. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I'm glad you didn't. It made my day.

suave eddie likes this.
  6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

'holy ****, I know all the words to 'Take it Easy''

ElJay370, Greggorios and Obsessed like this.
  7. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ginsberg lost me in an interview I read once where he was defending pedophilia. Outside of that he always just struck me as a hack who was in the right place in the right time.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

A classic. I forgot all about this one. Thanks for the reminder.

Greggorios and Big_Bend like this.
  9. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Meister

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the bastards still aren't out to get you."

Crowcaster and Greggorios like this.
  10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I got to meet him once, I'll never forget it. He gave a speech at UMASS, part author's read, part standup routine, very entertaining. After the performance, he came crashing into the dressing room like Kramer did on Seinfeld. He was big, maybe 6-3 or so, his loud hawaiian shirt soaked in sweat. Without a word, he dove into a large duffel bag on the floor, which was stuffed with wrinkled clothing, hauled out another hawaiian shirt, this one also wrinkled, but relatively dry. After he changed shirts, he produced a pint of whiskey and poured himself some, over ice. Turning to face us, I was there with a couple other people, he looked us up and down, then, exactly like a 3 stooges movie, turned his wrist over to look at his watch, dousing himself with the whiskey, ice cubes rattling across the floor. Mouths open, we watched him dig out a third shirt, and re-pour his drink, finally looking at us as if this was all normal, and saying, "So, how's everybody?" It was like watching a cartoon! After that, he was friendly and generous with his time, I really liked him.

11. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

There is a lot of good and bad truth to this....but it is truth.
    I never got the chance to see him and I feel somewhat empty on that front. I’ve been a fan forever and felt cheated when he left.
    RIP, HST

12. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Yeah, his two big influences, Blake and Whitman, are two of my favorite poets. His poetry to me seems an awkward attempt at amalgamating the two. I like the energy and momentum of "Howl," and "Kaddish" has its moments, but in the end he's a fun figure but nothing special as a poet.

13. staxman

staxman Tele-Afflicted

So many great ones! Two more to add;

“So we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?”

“We cannot expect people to have respect for law and order until we teach respect to those we have entrusted to enforce those laws.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Crowcaster and Greggorios like this.
  14. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like, “I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive . . .”And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, which was going about 100 miles an hour with the top down to Las Vegas. And a voice was screaming: “Holy Jesus! What are these ******* animals?”

Then it was quiet again. My attorney had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest, to facilitate the tanning process. “What the hell are you yelling about,” he muttered, staring up at the sun with his eyes closed and covered with wraparound Spanish sunglasses. “Never mind,” I said. “It’s your turn to drive.” I hit the brakes and aimed the Great Red Shark toward the shoulder of the highway. No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

15. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Holic

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but this is a misquote. Thompson's original passage begins, "The television business is a cruel and shallow money trench..."

Somewhere along the line, somebody swapped out "television" for "music" and here we are.

16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

There's an audiobook version of Fear & Loathing read by Harry Dean Stanton and Jim Jarmusch. It's amazing. Best heard through headphones.

Greggorios and getbent like this.
  17. mycroftxxx

mycroftxxx TDPRI Member

A couple of others have quoted small snippets of this one, but a larger selection is warranted:

“But with the throttle screwed on there is only the barest margin, and no room at all for mistakes. It has to be done right … and that’s when the strange music starts, when you stretch your luck so far that fear becomes exhilaration and vibrates along your arms. You can barely see at a hundred; the tears blow back so fast that they vaporize before they get to your ears. The only sounds are wind and a dull roar floating back from the mufflers. You watch the white line and try to lean with it … howling through a turn to the right, then to the left and down the long hill to Pacifica … letting off now, watching for cops, but only until the next dark stretch and another few seconds on the edge … The Edge … There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. The others—the living—are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later.

“But the Edge is still Out there. Or maybe it’s In. The association of motorcycles with LSD is no accident of publicity. They are both a means to an end, to the place of definitions.”

— HST, Hell’s Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga, 1968.

Greggorios likes this.
  18. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I've actually used that in conversation before.

Greggorios likes this.
  19. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Holic

I read it about every 5 years. Buried within page after page of that fantastical tale are some real gem observations about human behavior.

By the way, if you're new to Hunter S. Thompson and/or "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas", please do yourself a favor--IGNORE the movie that was made under this title. Part of HST's magic was to create a literary vision that works its way into your own imagination and lets YOU fill in the pictures. The movie version is a piece of absolute crap. There's no way to provide film that is better than your own ability to picture the story he tells in the book.

20. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Gayle King told me you'd say something like that.

telemnemonics and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.