Favorite Hunter S Thompson Quotes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jul 21, 2021.

1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jeepers.

3. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Someone lent me The Great Shark Hunt when I was working in Holland and it kept me out of the bars for a couple of nights. That's how good it was! I've read his other stuff since then and I say: long live gonzo journalism. ;)
    That reminds me, I've got The Rum Diaries upstairs somewhere. Time to read it again.

The Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas movie was a real hoot and some of it might have reminded me of my younger days...

Greggorios likes this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke,
    thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

That's my favorite of his (that I've read at least). My old rythm guitarist was super into him, and lent me books. But Shark Hunt was the only one I felt it was important to own.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"I'd like to get a hold of some priest's robes", I said. "They might come in handy in Las Vegas."

nojazzhere and Big_Bend like this.
  7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I first read HST in the early '70s when I was a youngster.
    I haven't thought much about him in years.
    Need to check out his later work.

King

fendrguitplayr and Greggorios like this.
  8. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

“We can’t stop here! This is bat country!”

“Once you find a drug connection, the tendency is to push it as hard as you can.”

“There are times, however, and this is one of them when even being right feels wrong. What do you say, for instance, about a generation that has been taught that rain is poison and sex is death? If making love might be fatal and if a cool spring breeze on any summer afternoon can turn a crystal blue lake into a puddle of black poison right in front of your eyes, there is not much left except TV and relentless masturbation. It’s a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat **** and die.”

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

“My plan was to pick him up at the airport in the huge Pontiac Ballbuster I’d rented from a used car salesman named Colonel Quick, then whisk him off to some peaceful setting to remind him of England.”

9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My attorney had taken his shirt off and was pouring beer on his chest, to facilitate the tanning process.

beyer160, trev333, Blue Bill and 5 others like this.
  10. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride…and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well…maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Once again, you just beat me to my very thoughts......:)
    Uncle Duke is probably Trudeau's most transparent and "derived from reality" character. We could start a VERY entertaining thread about Uncle Duke quotes if we wanted to. ;););)

stormsedge and Greggorios like this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here's a quote about HST by Ralph Steadmen who was the "gonzo" illustrator of the drawings in Fear and Loathing In LV and a regular "victim" of HST's antics.

"I didn’t realize it at the time, but I think he adored the whole thing of having me around, actually, seeing my discomfort as we were doing these crazy things. He could be a son of a *****. He kept a myna bird called Edward, and he’d bang the cage and shout, “Edward! There is no bird God that will save you, Edward!” And I felt like Edward in the cage sometimes (laughs)."

[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I think in a lot of ways HST invited them to the chase ;)

Peegoo likes this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

When you're a writer, it makes for good source material!

fendrguitplayr and Telekarster like this.
  15. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."

Rustbucket likes this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

LOL. It must be my week:D.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Richard Brautigan, Hunter S. Thompson, Richard Bach.

When they were in their heyday, I figured there was something wrong with me because I couldn't stand any of them. I now realize I was right. Like any other era, the Sixties (1964-1975) yielded a hefty array of wretched nonsense.

The worst aftershock of the Sixties, though, was All I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum, published in 1986. Most 60's culture was junk food. This wretched book was junk food ten years after its expiration date.

My worst experience during the sixties: Alan Ginsberg gave a reading at my college, then headed over the the English Department building for a specialspecial get together for select English majors. Alan removed his pants, squatted down, and started thrashing away on his little pump organ while reciting Blake's "Songs of Innocence" in a perfect imitation of Butterfly McQueen's voice. It was hideous, and I was a big Blake Guy at the time.

The sixties were a great time to be young, but they generated an awful lot of c---p, much of which persists in the minds of simpering bubbleheads to this very day.

I'l try to post something more cheery next time. I mean, The Whole Earth Catalog was kinda cool, so there's that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    trev333 likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ginsberg told me Hunter told him Bukowski sucks

19. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Thanks, @suave eddie

I laughed when I read "The entire 'wave speech' in its entirety." given that your location is the "department of redundancy department"!

As for HST, he certainly had a way with words and was, in the words of the song, too fast to live.

suave eddie likes this.
  20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Waiting for the Bill Burroughs favorite quote page.

Addnine and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.