Favorite Hunter S Thompson Quotes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by fendrguitplayr, Jul 21, 2021.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Maybe not his quote but I like the line out of the movie "Ok... let's get down to brass tacks here. How much for the ape?" :lol::lol::lol::cool:

nojazzhere, 8barlouie, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Geez, there are so many with deep sociological significance it's hard to choose just one, especially one that stands on its own without a long contextual explanation; but the one that absolutely made me laugh so long & hard and still does is some nonsense from the Vegas book - "Dogs ****ed the pope, no fault of mine".

Hard to work that into a conversation though...

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I was not proud of what I had learned but I never doubted that it was worth knowing.

5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."

6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

“Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio.”

7. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Alamo, Deathray, RodeoTex and 13 others like this.
  8. stomped box

stomped box TDPRI Member

This is not one of his pithy little quotes, but I go back regularly to the passage in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the "with the right kind of eyes, you can almost see the high water mark, that place where the wave broke and rolled back" chapter.

That's right up there in the 20th century American lit imo, with the final passage of the Great Gatsby. (The Great Gatsby which was a big influence on HST. He claimed to have typed it up.)

9. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

I think this is the first thread ever where I "Liked" every post. To my shame, I have never read any Thompson, but I've read folks heavily influenced by him. Clearly, I need to make the time.

10. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

This documentary was great for any fan.

capt pearl, Obsessed and P Thought like this.
  11. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one of those books you can read in a day. And you will want to read it again.

440mhz, drmordo, Ronzo and 5 others like this.
  12. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

"When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."

Quite suitable for the Bad Dog Cafe crowd.

13. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

The entire "wave speech" in its entirety.

“Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullsh!t, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

14. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I have several favorites, most of which are unsuitable for posting here, but this passage from The Great Shark Hunt always stuck with me...

"...In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I... And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."

-HST

15. stomped box

stomped box TDPRI Member

A lot of his early best work is collected in the TGSH.

Greggorios likes this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Something about bats.

17. stomped box

stomped box TDPRI Member

No point mentioning them. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

18. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

From Hell's Angels:
    “The association of motorcycles with LSD is no accident of publicity. They are both a means to an end, to the place of definitions.”

mycroftxxx, Obsessed and PARCO like this.
  19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Not my favorite quote from HST but certainly the most profound -

"No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt."

ping-ping-clicka and Greggorios like this.
  20. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

"He who makes a beast of himself relieves himself the pain of being a man."

Thompson was chased by his demons all his life. I am convinced that many super-creative types possess keys to locked doors in the human psyche to which us mere mortals have no access. Behind many of these doors are enlightenment and innovation. A few contain monsters--but there's no way to know until the key is turned.

RIP Hunter.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.