Favorite guitar solo

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dreadnut, Apr 25, 2020.

1. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

It's an impossible question, but I think my favorite solo is probly from the long slow "Voodoo Chile" jam on Electric Ladyland. But that solo is great not only because of Hendrix, but because the band is right there with him. It's just an epic track, and there is almost nothing like turning off all the non-lava lights and cranking this song in the pulsating dark. IMO it's absolutely one of the most magical moments I personally have heard captured.

I looked for a video of this, but his family (who own his music) must be all over youtube because I couldn't find it!

Another way to interpret the question - what solo has most influenced me. I think it would have to be Clapton on Cream's Crossroads from Wheel's of Fire. The solos in that song are maybe the greatest repositories of classic blues licks, and it's key to consider both solos because they build. The first is more restrained and in the middle octave of the guitar, and the second is burning up in the high frets. Besides the actual notes, his tone is just incredible. Epic stuff. 25 years ago I could play both solos note for note, which makes them the only solos I have ever learned to that level of detail. These days, even if I'm playing in some middle eastern sounding mode, I'm still framing the solo within the artistry of Clapton's Crossroads.

A final way to interpret the question - the solo I most wish I had played. For me, the ultimate paradigm of muscular almost brutal guitar playing is John McLaughlin. His right hand technique is so powerful it feels to me like he is forcing the notes out of the guitar. Since the 80s, his style has been my greatest source of inspiration and discouragement. I have never managed to get close to his muscularity, but I have copped a few things from him. I have his instructional DVD set, which I got when I saw him in Austin during his farewell tour, but I haven't spent any time with it. Kids are quite a distraction...

That said, I'm pretty sure the set focuses on musical concepts rather than technique, so I'm not sure it will get me where I want to go even if I study it hard.

Bonhoeffer likes this.
  2. tubegeek

tubegeek Tele-Afflicted

So many great ones here already, lots of opportunity for follow up so I look forward th o checking a bunch of these out.

Two that I haven't seen mentioned:

"Miss Gradenko" Andy Summers - short and nasty

"Hide Away" Freddie King

And I can't believe no one's tapped "Midnight At The Oasis" Amos Garrett.

Keith Richards is not wrong when he nominates Scotty Moore "I'm Left You're Right She's Gone."

Barbarito Torres (playing a lute) "El Cuarto de Tula" from Buena Vista Social Club just tears it up something fierce!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Martian and Bonhoeffer like this.
  3. Velorex

Velorex Tele-Meister

Rock Bottom, by UFO
    Michael Schenker tells
    a story starting at 2:40

velorex

superjam144 and Tommy Biggs like this.
  4. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Gilmore (again) starting @4:40 in this horrid, forgotten sugarbomb...

5. Elecoustic

Elecoustic TDPRI Member

Mostly acoustic fingerpicker here, but for my humble input there are a definite three pieces that haunt me (I know, three breaks the rule, but it is dependent on how one interprets the premise). The one that randomly (and rather frequently) just pops into my head most often is SL's solo in Toto"s "Girl Goodbye", such power with intricacy, and unusual phrasing never ceases to blow my socks off. The one that just feels good to play is in Cream's "Born Under a Bad Sign", being something that I can play certainly helps. But if I were stuck on a desert island with an mp3 player that could only play one song it would have to be loaded with "Stormy Monday" from the ABB's Live at Fillmore East. Brutally powerful without a lot of flashy technique. Two for the price of one, and a very satisfying study in contrasting/complementary styles.
    BTW the "Stairway" reference in my userpic is strictly tongue-in-cheek nod to our favorite musician-goofs. I do play it, but usually just the acoustic part. But a good one for the VXT.
    Would Steve Howe's "Clap" qualify as one long, continuous "solo"? Just had to get that in.

6. elKZacha

elKZacha Tele-Meister

Jimmy Page’s solo in Achilles Last Stand will always stand out to me as the perfect example of a solo that builds and unravels, lots of nuance and interesting progression throughout.

Tony Iommi’s effort on Planet Caravan is brilliant as well, a great lesson to be had here in how to complement the mood and atmosphere of a song.

SRV’s Couldn’t Stand the Weather is a guilty pleasure, pure conventional blues solo with his trademark grit.

7. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for posting this...saw it awhile back & forgot his name. Do you know anything about him?

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

These are significant solos for me - I either learned how to play them, or heard them at a crucial time. Apologies for repeats...

In no order, and likely to change or be added to...

Brian May: Great King Rat (Queen): the first solo I worked out.
    Eric Clapton: Let it Rain (from a greatest hits): just love it.
    Jeff Beck - You know what I mean - Blow by Blow: brilliant
    Danny Gatton - any track at random
    Derek and the Dominos - Little Wing (with a supplementary nod to Hendrix as the solo is fairly note for note)
    Carlos Santana - Europa

9. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

The live version of Midnight in Harlem,Derek Trucks band.

Dirtybluegene likes this.
  10. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

And Your Bird Can Sing: (nice outro too)

twangdude, Tommy Biggs and Hacksaw like this.
  11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

I agree, impossible to really answer but two mentionables:

Danny Kustow - Winter of '79
    Lifeson - No One at the Bridge

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. asquinet

asquinet Tele-Meister

For me, too!

13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Just that he's from Azerbaijan and he's sort of in the younger generation of Azeri guitar players -- there's a whole style that he comes out of. I'm just scratching the surface on this stuff myself. Trying to track this tradition down & listening to the different players is a great way to spend a rainy afternoon -- unbelievable skills.

14. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

Today, it’s this one...

Tornado, FrankJames and Tommy Biggs like this.
  15. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

David Gilmour in Money, TDSOTM.

16. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Like all here, I have 2,543.874 favorite solos. However, the first one that came to mind when reading the thread title was Rick Vito's beautiful slide solo of taste, touch, phrasing and economy on Bob Seegers "Like A Rock"..... simply stunning.

17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Midnight at the Oasis

Martian likes this.
  18. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Absolutely. Fits the song perfectly, fast & shreddy when appropriate, but also restrained & soulful when appropriate.

19. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

For me it will always be Mr Crowley. That hit me at a time when it was just right. The composition is fantastic, the execution amazing, triple tracked to perfection. Not everyone's taste maybe but damn if it didn't make me want to play.

20. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green TDPRI Member

For me it will always be Mr Crowley. That hit me at just the right time in my life and I bathed in it. Amazing composition and energy, performed spot on perfect. Triple tracked, sounds majestic. Maybe not everyone's taste, and many other solos also blow my mind. But this one holds a special place.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.