Favorite Guitar Shops

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Smoky Booroo, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am about an hour and 45 minutes from Gruhn's in Nashville. Nice shop and friendly people. I especially like it for Martin's because they have a great selection. Other's before have mentioned Carter's in Nashville but I haven't been to it.

I also like Allen's Music in Paducah, KY. The owner is real friendly. I went in to buy a cable because I had left mine at home and he gave me a tour of the whole store. He has everything from guitars to a tuba in different rooms. I actually bought a really nice cable and later brought him my old stereo and turntable which he fixed and when I went back to pick it up bought a used Stratocaster.

PastorJay likes this.
  2. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Lavonne Music in Savage, MN. family business for 50 years plenty of vintage and new stuff. I've been doing business with them for 40 years. Open to all who care about guitars and related items. No credit check required or test of music ability to walk in. Those blackguards in the threads I've been posting; they have been coming from this store. I've caught and released over a hundred guitars in my life; vintage, new, what have you and over 90% of that activity has occurred there. The owner runs his store that everyone is equal. It has been a place of social gathering and its not unusual to have the famous and the 10 year old beginner standing next to each other and both will be treated with respect. The owner has no point to prove. Go to their website and his credentials are posted.

matrix likes this.
  3. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

Herb David was very poorly run in the last few years. They always had cool stuff and it was a landmark, but was almost happy to see it go. Elderly is my favorite store in the area.

4. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

My favorite is Parkway Music in Clifton Park, NY. I’ve known Tom and Matt, the owners for probably thirty years. They treat you right!
    A close second is Collar City Guitars in Troy, NY. They’re relatively new, but good people.
    Both stores have an eclectic selection and there is plenty within reach of us working class musicians.
    Back in the day I haunted Lark Street Music when it was on the titular Lark St. in Albany before Buzzy Levine decamped to Teaneck, NJ. It was (and still is, I hear) pretty high-end vintage for the most part. One of those places rock stars stopped when they played in town.
    For all that, Buzzy was very kind and patient with me when I was a young punk without a lot of folding money. He learned I loved the weird cheese-logs and would show me any new oddball guitars that came in.
    I guess he knew I would buy when I could (I bought a Gretsch, a Univox HiFlyer and a Vox Buckingham cabinet from Lark St. over the years.)
    There as elsewhere, I’d at the very least buy strings and picks or something small when I spent time there so as to give something back for the staff’s time. I’d also get out of their hair if there was a serious customer looking to buy a big ticket item. (At least I hope I did, but I could be obtuse.)
    Good times!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    chesire likes this.
  5. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Carter's and Gruhn's are both great. They're a long way from California

6. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Allen's is very cool, i have a friend who lives in Paducah so I went out for the eclipse, I stopped in to check the place out as I was told the had done some fixing up, I was looking around in the "new" part, when I was also offered the tour, they couldn't find anyone to take me, so the lady at the counter said "oh just go thru the door marked "NO ADMITTANCE" and turn left.. "lets do the time warp again" it was like being back in the '70s. much fun, I bough a few small things, but they ave a bit of everything. I also had a warm reception at Unga Bunga out on the bypass. (good hot dog stand too...)

7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

DAVE'S GUITAR'S in LACROSSE, WI!!!!!!!!

Dave carries a lot of high end acoustic (Martin, Taylor, Collings, Santa Cruz etc.), and the usual Fender, Gibson lines along with a big dose of Paul Reed Smith.

The kicker is UPSTAIRS where Dave's personal collection of classic vintage guitar's is on display!

A coupla hundred old vintage Fender's, Gibson's, Gretch's, Epi's etc. (He says they're not for sale... so don't even ask)

Old amp's, too!

It's an absolute must see for any true guitar fan!!!!!!!

(Lot's of cool little watering hole's in Lacrosse, too!)

Flakey likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I've always wanted to visit Gruhn, Elderly, and Mandolin Bros. before they closed, as well as Norm's in Ca., and Rudy's in NYC, but since I'm now in Hawaii and poor and in poor health, it'll probably never happen.

KWal likes this.
  9. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Always good to meet another Zoni

https://www.google.com/amp/tucson.c...1080bc3d-fee7-562d-b6e6-1bd02bc5bb06.amp.html

One of my good friends represented the owner so I got some insights. Still an interesting case

t guitar floyd likes this.
  10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! Those look like exactly what I'm looking for.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  11. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I had the pleasure of going to Guitar Sanctuary while visiting friends in McKinney a few years ago. The guy that took me had bought some high-end ukes from them and introduced me to some of the staff. I was amazed by some of the guitars and amps they had.

I went to Tennessee last March and had every intention of visiting Gruhn and Carter Vintage; others if time permitting.

As it turned out, we were in Nashville on Sunday, and the shops I wanted to visit were all closed.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  12. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Yup. My best memories were from when he was under the book store, or when he first moved to the house, back in the early 80s if my memory is correct. He always had things you couldn't (and can't) find anywhere else.

13. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

For all of us middle Americans...

Lidgett Music, Council Bluffs IA.

Mass Street Music, Lawrence KS.

Great shops, great staff. Nice mix of vintage and quality new gear at both.

14. irie

irie Tele-Holic

This is actually a local music store. It maybe common place for small shops (but Jim's is the first I have encountered that does this), I love the fact you can buy picks as singles from here to try them out.

15. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I moved to Ann Arbor in 2007, but was fully aware of the history of the shop and the man himself. A lot of famous guitars used by famous people on great records came out of that shop - Bloomfield's LP Standard is a big one. Dan Erlewine got his start in luthiery there. Herb was always there and great to talk to. So I don't want to seem dismissive. It just seemed to fall apart at the end.

16. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Yup, sad to say, it really did go down hill towards the end. It's a real shame.

Fortunately, Elderly is not too terribly far for either of us (I'm in Oakland County), and they're still going strong.

Bellacaster likes this.
  17. -PickupTruck-

-PickupTruck- Tele-Meister

Great history. Gelb was a go-to growing up, then I moved to Seattle in the grunge years (where Trading Musician was my go-to). Now I am back in San Carlos and spent $600 at Gelb on drum gear just before Christmas.

I spend a fair amount of time at Starving Musician in Santa Clara, but they have a much higher tolerance for guys who just want to run through every riff they know just loud enough so you can't think. You know, the guys that aren't testing tone or intonation on a possible love connection but rather showing how they know the whole solo on some poor unsuspecting plank of wood worth $3K+.

18. -PickupTruck-

-PickupTruck- Tele-Meister

I just played with the other Keith, who ran the Amp Lab around the corner (now relocated to Campbell) during the Christmas break. He totally redid a 1969 Super Reverb to have a gain channel for a friend of mine. I stole that amp for $150, and it is one of the sweetest sounding amps I've ever heard.

If you need amp work, see Keith fast before he retires...

19. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My number one favorite shop.
    Jimmy’s Vintage Music. The best shop that I’ve ever been inside, a great owner, a good guy, honest, and an excellent and ever changing supply of cool vintage, high-end, and just good gear. Just a great shop that I often frequent.

http://jimmysvintagemusic.com/

Another good shop.
    Replay Guitar Exchange.
    An excellent selection of guitars and boutique amps, and some vintage guitars and amps. Plus a great selection of pedals. Also, good people at this shop.

https://www.replayguitar.com/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m going to throw a “plug” in for San Antonio’s Spacetone Music and Guitar Tex.
    Both are “Mom & Pop” type stores, and both are well organized, tidy and efficient shops.
    I have purchased guitars from both, and am happy with my experiences.
    Spacetone is very well stocked with cool instruments and amps.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.