1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite fuzz pedal to use with your tele

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Siva6186, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Siva6186

Siva6186 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone. I have just recently renewed my love of playing though fuzz pedals and am curious to see what particular fuzz units other telecaster players prefer in their rig. My all time favorite favorite that would have to be the classic EHX Big Muff (American model). Love the tone that I can get with this thing - seems to do everything well except that it doesnt cut through the mix with brighter leads too well on the high E and B strings. In an attempt to circumvent this, and also just to re-build a fuzz collection I have custom ordered Devi Ever Shoegazer pedal. Anyway I wanted to ask the forum and the tele fans here, what is your favorite fuzz pedal? and if you want to take it a step further how do you like to dial in the settings to achieve the best sound?

2. jimmynumber9

jimmynumber9 Tele-Afflicted

My foxx tone machine. I love it with every guitar though...

3. DoodlySquat

DoodlySquat Tele-Holic

Fuzzzzzzzz face. Don't own a tele or a Fuzz Face at the moment D:

4. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

I find myself going to my Zvex Fuzz Factory the most. No problem cutting through with that one.

5. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

I have an MXR 108 -- their version of a silicon Fuzz Face in a smaller, well built enclosure. It serves my fuzz needs well. I haven't played through many other though, so I don;t have much to compare it to.

I think a Big Muff would be the one I'd try next -- seems to be a real classic.

6. dcm0

dcm0 TDPRI Member

Hi, I'm a newbie here. But I'm also a fuzz freak and tele junkie. I gotta say, my favorite pedal on my 90s tele special (humbucker on the neck, 5 way switch, (one piece neck, is there any other way?)) is a Proco Rat, followed by a phase 90, or a Crybaby.

I have however recently been playing around with a Zvex Fuzz Factory, which is an amazing pedal, but very specific in the situations it can be used in (gate, Ocillator or "stab" being amazing but not for general distortion uses), and a Devi Ever Noise Floor (there are several versions of this, I recommend the "SM" circuit), which is astonishing.

I think that Devi Ever and Dwarfcraft are paving the way for all future severe yet articulate analog fuzz circuits, fwiw.

7. arem

arem Tele-Meister

My favorite fuzz is my DAM Meathead, I use it probably 90% of the time. One of the things I love most about it is that there is only one knob, so there is no way to get all caught up in knob twiddling. Fuzz pedals really shouldn't need more than 2 or 3 knobs.

8. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Muff

9. BrettC

BrettC TDPRI Member

MXR 108 fuzz. Sometimes with a T808 in combination

10. Siva6186

Siva6186 TDPRI Member

Very interesting responses! Im going to have a great time later tonight you tubing some of these that I am not so familiar with. Also I have an additional question that I forgot to put in the initial post which directly relates to my need to turn the muff into a pedal capable of sharper leads. Does anyone here use a mild distortion/overdrive before the fuzz in the chain to boost the sustain and overall strength for the leads? and if so what pedal? Just earlier today actually at a nice music store in Rochester, NY I traded in an old beat up Jim Dunlap fuzz face for some store credit which I used to buy a whirlwind gold box distortion (modernized clone of the old mxr distortion plus from the 70s). However the 9v is busted and I have to get a new one so im left without that boost. Any mild overdrive/distortion pedals so,eone would recommend putting in front of the Muff if the Whirlwind cant cut it?

11. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

In general, I've had better results with fuzz into od rather than od into fuzz. Can't recommend anything specific that works with a muff, as I've never owned one.

12. dcm0

dcm0 TDPRI Member

I plugged Devi Ever in a previous post, but if you're looking for a more excessive Muff tone, I suggest checking out the Hyperion. There's a youtube vid somewhere called "Big MuffShootout" that pits a 90s Muff vs a new Muff vs a Hyperion, and the latter stands up favorably.

13. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

Stomp under foot pumpkin pi - stompunderfoot.com

It is a clever copy of the EHX op amp big muff that billy corgan used. Either rips, churns, or grinds, or... Lots of other stuff. Great build.

Current nyc big muff is pretty cool too, but not as ripping as the pumpkin pi.

14. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I found MARSFX, a company out of Korea. They make some great pedals, although they are big. They have a Graphic Fuzz that has a 6 band eq, gain, sustain and dynamics controls, and a flip of the switch converts it to a noise gate/eg pedal. Here is their website
    http://marsfxusa.com/default.aspx

15. JesterR

JesterR Tele-Afflicted

I really love my Maestro fuzztone. Really "fuzzy" fuzz and stacks well with my overdrive pedals. Many fuzzes becomes over-saturated with other overdrives, or sounds too similar to overdrive.

16. mishek

mishek Tele-Meister

I use a early 80s MXR Distortion +
    through a PRRI
    When all the knobs are set right, it sounds incredibly good.

Slightly OT
    There is so much variation through Guitar pickups, volume & tone, MXR gain and output, PRRI volume, tones, Reverb and Trem, that it is an art getting the sweet spots.

The good thing is that there are many sweet spots and it is fun to find new ones.
    When I am recording, I keep diagrams of just where each knob is set for future reference.

Back On Topic
    I have a Shin-Ei Fuzz clone that is RAW! I don't use it much as it is pretty one dimensional.
    I would like to try a Big Muff through the same set up. Any experiences/advice?

17. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I really like my Den Tone 1967 Fuzz Face the best. But the Devi Ever Ruby (Tonebender) and Dano French Toast(Foxx) I can't imagine not having around either. I have the Fuzz sickness, however, so....

18. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm relatively new to the world of fuzz, so I don't have a favorite yet, but the 4 I own all sound great, I'll list them in TODAY's order of preference:

Fuzz Head (fuzz face)
    Retro-Channel (tone bender)
    Sunface NKT275 red dot (fuzz face)
    Throbak Stone Bender (tone bender)

19. bossking7

bossking7 Tele-Afflicted

+1

20. Twin and Twang

Twin and Twang Tele-Meister

I have a Zvex Fuzz Probe and a Fulltone 70's Fuzz. Totally different characters.

Fuzz Probe has germanium transistors and a theremin circuit making it completely uncontrollable in the best possible way :twisted: Temperature changes can totally alter its vibe. My go-to to scare the **** out of an audience.

70's Fuzz is just a fantastic silicone fuzz. My go-to for controlled leads.

Side note: Both pedals needed a switch replacement less than a year after purchase. Bad luck? Or is switch quality going down hill? I have an '81 MXR Phase 90 whose original switch is still going strong.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.