favorite "full frequency" overdrives??

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
You already mentioned you have a Timmy.
I've used one for nearly 10 years and love it with single coils into Fender amps.
Not so crazy about using it with humbuckers....never had very good luck with them into the Timmy.
King of Tone is an interesting pedal if you have 4 or 5 years to wait to get one.
I picked up a clone of one from an online retailer that begins with A and ends with zon.
For $78, it sounds good with either single coils or humbuckers and no 4 or 5 year waiting list.
Has internal dip switches to have either side as: Boost, OD or distortion.
View attachment 1029745
I read or heard somewhere on the internet from somebody really special...
listen to the inventor

use 2 Dukes of Tones, and get a King of tone today with out waiting 5 years

one trip to the music store and you can come home and teak and compare until your head explodes.

the pump.jpg

no doz

Tele-Meister
if you are working with a 5E3, i second a rat, or also suggest a fuzz face with the output slammed and the fuzz/gain dialed in like halfway, way before it becomes a fuzz. basically settings that don't really sound spectacular or maybe even good at all on their own through a clean amp.

i've tried lots of ODs with the 5E3 and in addition to mid conflicts, they just end up masking the drive tone of the amp. like putting A1 on a steak. a boost with only a bass cut (like an EQ, or something subtle like a timmy) just works the best for straight drive. seems like you have that aspect covered.

where the rat or a fuzz face come in is when you want something a tiny bit more aggressive than the 5E3 offers. without having to succumb to the amp-becomes-a-fuzz-pedal setting, you can very easily dial those in to get in that zone where the sound teeters between driven and that amp crapping the bed thing. except here you have more precise control, since some of that chaotic stuff is the pedal and not the power section.

love where your head is at. i have a fuzz face but have never tried crushing the output into the tweed like you suggested, gonna play around with it tonight! i think i'm definitely gonna grab a rat or comparable hard clipper soon, i think that raspy thing would give me a flavor i don't currently have (which could be cool into some of my cleaner / higher headroom amps too). thanks!

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
love where your head is at. i have a fuzz face but have never tried crushing the output into the tweed like you suggested, gonna play around with it tonight! i think i'm definitely gonna grab a rat or comparable hard clipper soon, i think that raspy thing would give me a flavor i don't currently have (which could be cool into some of my cleaner / higher headroom amps too). thanks!
i recently pick up a rat and it does that RAT thing so well.
I used the RAT with the Bogner Uberschall pedal and it did something sweet.

no doz

Tele-Meister
i looked into all the pedals mentioned in this thread and ultimately decided to go the DIY route and build myself a couple of clones so i can experiment with a bunch of these on the cheap rather than waiting for the right used deals to pop up. i picked up PCBs for an ODR-1, a king of tone, a RAT, and a blues driver to start with. really excited to spend some time with each one, thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!