Favorite Five Amps Owned / Five Amps Desired

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by arlum, Nov 29, 2019.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Some great amps here. On this page alone a couple of newer builds that stand out, to me, are the Dr. Z Z-Wreck, (when you combine Dr. Z with Ken Fischer and Brad Paisley how can you go wrong), and the picture of the Magnatone, (I think that's a Panoramic Stereo but it might be a Twilighter Stereo). I've had a chance to play the Twilighter Stereo and it's truly a very well made amp with possibly the best onboard vibrato ever made. I was very impressed.

2. REWTX

REWTX TDPRI Member

Own:
    Pure 64 head
    Fender 68 CPR
    Fender Pro Jr
    Supro TremoVerb
    Quilter 101 Reverb

Want:
    Fender 57 Custom Champ

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Owned:
    1969 unmodified Marhall 100W head w 2 Orange 4-12 nets
    1964 BF Super Reverb
    1972 Deluxe Reverb in maple dovetailed cabinet
    1978 Ultalinear Twin Reverb
    AND (Best for last)
    Gasp! 2010 Roland Cube 80XL

Desired:
    100 JCM 800 2–2 combo, First incarnation, no reverb, no effects loop
    Vox AC30 1-12
    Tweed Tremolux repro
    Tweed Bandmaster repro
    AND
    Gasp!
    BOSS Nextone 100, 2-12

rebelwoclue likes this.
  4. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I wish I still had my first 2 amps - a Danelectro twin 12, and a little National with one big volume knob on the front. It was the early 60's, and our neighbors all enjoyed following my progress as I learned guitar.

My current favorite is an original Roland BC 60. Lots of very nice sounds, takes pedals well, and plenty loud.

I want a Vibrolux - my brother in law just got one, and now I need one of my own. Never had a Fender amp, so this I feel like this is an important thing to do.

chipwich likes this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I had a guitar setup go awry a long time ago. The store owner offered me $500 in credit or guitar replacement. I took the credit and walked out with a 50 watt tube amp, Crate VFX 5112, because it was the only amp that was close to $500 :). I didn't know anything about amps. I still don't. However, I hear a lot of amps when I go to GC and I think my Crate is often way better. I like it because I can play it at a super low volume. People describe amps as warm and that's exactly the adjective that comes to mind when I play through it. It exudes sonic warmth.

I had a couple of Fender GDecs way back when . . . they were junk.

6. Redleg37

Redleg37 TDPRI Member

Owned

1: pre-Fender SWR 350 watt head with Goliath 410 cabinet. Bought it with my enlistment bonus and sold it years later to afford Christmas presents for my girls.

2: Fender rumble 500 head and 2 15” rumble subs, my eventual replacement for the SWR.

3: Orange micro dark. This is my current favorite electric guitar amp but I’m not happy with my cab situation.

4: fender mustang 3, my first “real” electric guitar amp. It’s fine but I don’t care for how loud it is. I’ve used it with the stock celestion speaker as well as an eminence basslite S2012 (which goes to 4500 hz and works okay with both guitar and bass). The S2012 is currently in a separate 212 cab that I never use for anything.

5: carvin mb10, it was a stop gap after selling the SWR and it was okay. It did alright with both guitar and bass by switching eq around.

7. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

Own:
    muchxs Champ
    Swart tweed STR
    5E3 built by some unknown guitar tech in Nashville. Whomever you are, you are gifted. Thank you.
    muchxs Morpheus

Want:
    Every Vibrolux I've ever heard was amazing. One day.

8. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I love amps, maybe more so than guitars. Ones I’m intrigued to hear/try some day:

- Allen Brown Sugar
    - Germino Classic 45
    - Headstrong Verbrovibe
    - Fender Brown Super Amp 6G4A
    - This one doesn’t exist, but I would love to see what a Twin Reverb built by Magic Amps would be like. His Princeton clones have something special about them...

9. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

dang! very difficult to make a choice but out of this litter, i'd say: 1. fender 66 deluxe reverb 2. fender 59 princeton. 3. gibson 1962 ga79rtv 4. gibson 58 ga20t. 5. fender 67 super reverb.

i do have a 75 vibro champ and 76 champ that i run in dual mono with my pedalboard. small amps that fill my music room.

as far as wishlist, probably a fender princeton reverb from 60s.

play music!

fenderland.jpg gibsonland.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  10. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

Current:
    Down Brownie #1!!! (Cutthroat audio take on a Brown 6g3 Deluxe with some tweaks)
    5f4 clone, Tweed Super. w Beano Booster.
    Fender PRRI Modified.
    Blues Jr. Modded

All I desire might be an old champ, but I'm pretty good with what I got.

rw4951 likes this.
  11. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

Have / have had:

135w master volume Silverface Twin. This amp was supposed to be crap. It wasn't, and I wish wish wish I'd not swapped it for an Epiphone Explorer...

100w Marshall JMP mk2. This was a brute of an amp (especially when used with my Jazzmaster and a Guyatone Harmonic Distortion pedal).

1984 Marshall JCM800 4212 50w twin channel. This was the first amp I ever bought and I still have it. It's a great rock amp despite not really being a classic Marshall.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The most kick-arse 40 watts I've ever used. I also have a Deville. One of my favourite things about the Deluxe is that when you show up at metal shows other guitar players look at you with a smirk and it's really good fun re-educating them. It may be small but the number of 100w stacks it's blown away is significant (especially as you can let one roar in a small venue and Johnny Stack has to run his way down low and sulk at the sound engineer all night; his dad didn't pay a fortune for that amp so he could play it at stage-friendly volumes).

Orange Rockerverb 50 mk2. My favourite amp ever.

Want:

A '59 Bassman LTD. The other guitarist in my band has one and paired with a Big Muff and a Junior it's the sound of a million wet dreams.

135w master volume Silverface Twin. See above. Still kicking myself.

Orange AD200. When I make my next foray into bass playing this is what I'd like to do it with.

Fender Blues Junior in tweed. Don't need one but they're cool.

Hovercraft Andromeda. Just because.

12. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No particular order (had to include six):

Marshall 1977 JMP 2204
    Marshall 1974x (currently own)
    Marshall Astoria Classic
    Fender 1965 Deluxe Reverb (currently own)
    Fender 1965 Vibrolux Reverb/ Fender 1966 Twin Reverb

13. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I've only had 2 amps I would really consider great. I just haven't been

1. Fender Prosonic. Modded with an impedance selector so I run the speakers in parallel (a little more open sounding to me).
    2. VHT Special 6 with Rob Robinette's bias selection switch mod to run a 6l6.

If my math is right, people get 10 entries (supposed to be 5 and 5), and I've only used 2, I'm adding 8 dream amps. I honestly don't expect to own but maybe 1 or 2 of these, but we can all dream

1. 5e3 Tweed Deluxe. Don't care much what brand, but a clean-ish original or a Victoria would be pretty awesome.
    2. Low power tweed twin. Not that I have a reall need for one, but they just sound awesome. Most likely a Lil Dawg.
    3. A vintage-voiced Marshall combo - a 1974x or a Studio 20.

Now we're into the real fantasy amps for me.

4. Matchless DC30
    5. Mesa Lonestar Special
    6. Soul Tramp Rail Rider
    7. Marshall Astoria
    8. Fender Vibroverb

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jimytheassassin likes this.
  14. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I wonder if I'm over five hundred yet?

I'm a big fan of low buck amps I can restore and / or modify.

Best amp I've owned?

The last one.

Got high expectations for the next one.

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Own/owned

Currently :-

Ampmaker WF-55 <- A wonderful Champ-a-like
    Madamp G3 <- Ancient Soviet valves bring glorious life to Komrad
    Lummerland Express < ~3 Watts of nasty
    Laney Cub 10 <- A speaker swap, some decent valves and a proper bias and this is a keeper

Previously, and don't laugh too hard...

Behringer Vintager GM110 <- Claimed 30 Watts, but what mattered was it was loud enough to use as a personal amp while the superb D.I went to F.O.H Later versions had a smaller transformer, black fascia, a different output I.C and sounded small and weak in comparison. Sadly, not waterproof.

Desired

British made Laney L5T-112. The Chinese made ones are very well made, sound great, but the British models have a spring reverb. I like springs.
    Matamp Series 3000
    Matamp MiniMat
    WEM Dominator
    Whatever I decide to build.

16. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Own- too many- I like 'em. But top 5 or so...
    Dr.Z- ZLux (latest)
    '90s Vibrolux w/ Vibroverb mod.
    '84 Super Champ
    Prosonic
    '75 Princeton Reverb
    '75 Twin Reverb
    Want:
    '68 Super Reverb

17. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

The three I sold because I did not realize how much I would regret doing so.

Ampeg Gemini II - My first good amp. With my early 70s gold LP Deluxe it was awesome.
    Legend A60 - The best clear tone I ever had going for myself.
    Mesa Boogie .50 cal + - My favorite loud amp. I could not use it in bars, only in larger venues or outdoors. It was my "sound exactly like Keef" amp.

Here's the thing about the regret. All three were sold at different times but never because I was desperate for money. It was because I was moving or because I hadn't been in a band for a while and started selling stuff (see also, guitars I regret selling).

18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

To be honest, I don’t see anything supplanting my current #1, a Fender ‘63-reissue Vibroverb that I bought new back in 1992.

One amp I used to own and wish I had back (with one caveat) is a 1972 Fender Bassman Ten...four of those big-magneted 10-inch speakers in a sealed-back cabinet...master volume so I can make it crunchy and nasty...all the thick, fat bassiness a man could want...except...
    If I were to get another one, I’d demand a roadie. After surgeries on my neck and shoulder, that weight and unwieldy shape makes it impractical at best.

I wouldn’t mind a tweed Tremolux, or a tweed Harvard...maybe a Vibro-Champ.

The only other amps that turn my head lately are a Grammatico 4x10 (tweed Bassman-style), a couple of Dr. Z’s lower-watt offerings and various Tone Kings...great tones, great looks...and out of my budget.

I’ll stand pat with the 63RIVV.

19. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Top own(ed)
    My Fender 75
    They get a bad rap, but I've never found anything else that does what it does, even if the lead channel is very limited.

'68 Bassman AB165
    Shouldn't have sold it.

Supro BK12
    Exactly what I'd wanted in an amp that size. No regrets selling the less ideal stuff to finance it.

70s SF Champ.
    This is a cheat; wasn't mine, but I'd had possession of it for a long time during a formative point in my beginning to be "into" guitar. It accentuated individual guitars and pedals, as well as exactly how I was playing in a way that began ruining other amps for me because they didn't. Returned it to owner, and it was stolen a year later.

Peavey classic 30
    Returned to GC because it wasn't what I needed. Very specifically different and diverse sound range. Its beaten my Bugera V5 out of my list, even though I still own that 1 trick pony. Also beats HR dlx, Peavey SS2×12 classic chorus, and cheap SS squier amp, if anyone wonders.

Want:

I'm more modest than other ppl.

DrZ ?model?
    They made essentially an AB165 bassman in a combo with a reverb tank. That. I want that.

Ibanez TSA15h
    Looked at when amp shopping, and they're cheap enough to justify. I've also acquired a side mission to make use of some equipment of my grandfathers that would go good with one.

Fender excelsior
    They're a 15. And a fender. And cheap. Yea, I'll have one.

5e3
    Not picky. Just only interested if I can afford it

1 more 6l6 fender, smaller than the 75, that I can refinish to look like it.
    A beaten up Fender 30 is ideal.

20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

top owned:

66 BF Tremolux (head w/home made cab); my huckleberry.
    70 SF Princeton no-verb - gigged regular along with Tremolux
    '69 Drip-edge Bassman with 2 X 15 cab. Handy for out door gigs.
    '63 Gibson Discover; swampy delicious tremolo;
    '67 Ampeg Gemini II it was fine, cool, enveloping; but now it's gone; also gone: a Blues Jr. , a Blues Deville (2X12)

Want:
    pretty much have gotten over my Tweed lust. Wouldn't turn one down, like a tweed vibrolux? Yeah, that'd be ok.
    Same for blackface models, although there is still plenty of lust for a Super Reverb. Just not even scoping them out anymore.
    Oh, but the brownface; yeah, that's still sort of an exotic wonder. Never played any. Brownface Concert? Yeah, baby. Brownface Princeton, Ok!
    Bandmaster, the 3X10? yes, please.

just never lusted after Marshall, Mesa, Vox, etc. Maybe someday. I'm only 67.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.