Favorite chord transition/progression

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Jdsmith, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

My only guitar playing friend is stationed in Alaska, so one thing we do for fun is send chord progressions back and forth to see what kind of solos we can make over it. We’ve both played for years, but everything has been by YouTube or ear, so music theory knowledge is a little slim.

I can come up with some fun chord progressions that sound good to my ear with little things I’ve learned like going from the major IV to the minor iv, or secondary dominants sound good too. But that’s all I’ve really got up my sleeve in terms of writing something kinda “tasty”.

One I like the sound of is:

C E7 F G

C E7 F Fm

I was wondering if anyone had cool chord changes or progressions that you like the sound of or use in your own music that are a little outside of the normal I vi IV V type thing - even if it’s just one chord. Just looking for something that could make a random listener (or my friend) at least think “Oo, now that sounds nice”

And if it involves any kind of diminished climbs, or 6ths, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, or 13ths, I can work with that

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

D, a, C, G or G,e,C,D. Nothing flashy, but very versatile.

Jdsmith likes this.
  3. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

My best advice is to get a book of Beatles songs and steal mercilessly. Take the songs apart like a motorcycle and see how they work.

codamedia, Jdsmith, stinkey and 5 others like this.
  4. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Back in the 90's I played in a 3 piece band that did some odd stuff including a (very stripped down) version of A Day in the Life by the Beatles. I don't remember the chords now, and I don't understand the theory behind it, but there is a point at which the change to the E chord sounds like the voice of God, even when we did it with just guitar, bass and drums. It's at 3:00.

Jdsmith and Greggorios like this.
  5. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Because of the way the chords are shaped on guitar, for some reason, I’ve really liked the way the third position G maj to Gm7 to first position D maj sounds, and worked it into several songs over the years.

Jdsmith likes this.
  6. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

The Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles by Dominic Pedler is available on the Kindle. It occasionally gets pretty deep in the weeds, but for the most, it’s fascinating stuff, on how the three primary songwriting Beatles put it all together, and also attempts to explain what some of the over-the-top music critics of the day (such as William Mann and his “Aeolian Cadences”) were trying to express.

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

6 2 5 turn

Jdsmith likes this.
  8. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Afflicted

20211014_034855.png

I like this one but I'm not skilled enough to know how to use it outside of "punctuation". There are some three note 7th chord voicings on the lower 4 strings that make for a jazzy I-IV-V also.

Mjark likes this.
  9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

It's probably that descending chromatic run of the B to Bb to A in the three chords.

10. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

C#m A E.
    Slow dancing in a burning room is a great progression

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I like a 12 bar blues in A Dorian. The I is Am7, IV is D7, and V is Em7. At first the progression sounds unusual but you get used to it quickly. Then add Am6 into the progression on the second measure when playing I. Add (A)D7 add6 on the second measure when you’re playing IV. And you won’t sound like a white guy playing a Black guy’s blues. Try this with Caress Me Baby. Be sure to stay in the Dorian mode for your intro and solo. There’s all kinds of cool stuff you can do once you break out of the pentatonic box.

Jdsmith likes this.
  12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I E / B / I DM7 / C#m / I C#m / B / I 3 measures, tag the end however you wish. Key is C#m.

Jdsmith likes this.
  13. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Some may say trite and overdone but I still love the way the chords flow in Little Wing.

Another of my favorite progressions (possibly more changes than you want) is the old Irving Berlin tune, Russian Lullaby, especially Jerry Garcia's take on it.

Jdsmith likes this.
  14. Mjark

Here's another one. I didn't feel like writing out the sus4's so you can see where they go or (can) Am Bdim (It's the same chord all three times) no need to move it but it sounds cool C F Am E7 Am E7

15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I love soloing over the progression in Black Pumas' Colors. The key chord is the C#7 with F in the bass that transitions you back to the F#m. The progression is F#m- A- E- C#7/F. The last chord has a diminished feel to it that opens it up to soloing using diminished or the C#7 dominant arpeggio/myxo. Lots of options.

Another fun progression to solo over, that is a little bit challenging, is Jaco Pastorius' "The Chicken". ||: Bb7-- Eb9-- D9-- G7-- C9 :||

16. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

C add9 to E is a change that I find enchanting. Essentially a b XI add9 to a I.

17. Mjark

Video deleted by accident. Not that anyone watched it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.