1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Favorite Beatle?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 31, 2015.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

John, easy.

I'm not altogether certain any of the others would have been hugely successful without John. I guess Ringo was well employed in various marquee bands, and Paul would've gotten somewhere perhaps. But John was going to find Stardom, no matter who he associated with.

I love George but there's no doubt IMO, he was "the lucky boy" who fell in with just the right people in the right circumstances. I am certain there's many would be musicians who persevered on the theory that "If George can do it, perhaps I can, too". It takes an extremely narcissistic person to image yourself as equal in stature to John. I didn't have to be told even once, I didn't have what he had. Maybe this is why as great as John is, people don't empathize and thus don't choose him as favorite.

Please, let's don't get sidetracked into personal belief systems and things like that. It should be obvious, that's not what this thread is about or should be about.

2. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for Paul. When I was growing up, I loved the Beatles. And I mostly loved John - he was the cool interesting one. But then I realised that all of the cool, interesting things that I thought must have been John, were actually mostly Paul. My favourite Beatles album, Revolver, was spearheaded by Paul. My favourite Beatles songs were mostly written by Paul. He was by far the best actor in the films, too.

George comes second. Then John.

3. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for Paul.

4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

George and it goes back to the Help album with I Need You. First time I really paid attention to his singing skills.

5. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

John...Despite Yoko.

6. Tele Ted

Tele Ted Tele-Holic

My favorite Beatle was Yoko Ono. :) I used to like to play yoko's stuff at parties back in the day circa 1982-83. Going from led zep to Yoko sparked a lot of what the #%^* ! But I digress!

Actually it is John. From a talent perspective, john is the #1 in my opinion. I also respect the way John put it out there. Especially his Sometime in NYC record. He didn't care what people thought, no pandering to record executives. Here it is like it or not.

Then probably George. Although some of his stuff is hit and miss for. Love all things must pass. Absolute masterpiece.

Then paul and ringo.

Seen both of 'me in concert. Great shows.

Just my .02

7. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

No votes for Billy Preston, or Brian Epstein yet!
    I'll say Ringo me self.

8. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Afflicted

John.
    "Genius is pain, too."

9. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1

Paul is a better songwriter. There, I said it.

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

+1. IMO John was the Beatles right up and through Beatlemania. Paul started to even it out after the 'Hard Days Night' album ('The John Lennon album'), but John is the one who got them there.

11. portsider

portsider Tele-Meister

I suppose it all depends what you think a good song is. Paul is generally too sappy for me, but he did do some great stuff along with the dogs like "Yesterday" (There I said it.)
    Both John and Paul suffered post Beatles by not having the other to curb their excesses.
    Anyway for me it's John by a good bit, followed by Paul, George and Ringo.

12. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Middle-period John. Nowhere Man, I'm Only Sleeping, Strawberry Fields, In My Life, Tomorrow Never Knows - amazing songs that still stop me in my tracks.

13. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

You never heard Imagine?!!! Find that hard to believe. Here's a taste of what you've been missing...

14. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

John, with George a close second. All the Beatles are truly great, so it's hard to pick one. I think the Beatles were great because everyone in the band had talent.

15. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

As an artist, McCartney, but as for Lennon waving his flag everywhere, you have to take what these people said with a grain of salt. The thing I like most about Paul is he keeps that crap to himself.

It's real easy to sing about peace and all that 'brother' stuff when you're sitting on millions of dollars in your early 20's and hundreds of millions by your 40's when you don't have to worry about bills and where your next meal is coming from.

They had it rough (and not really) for a few of their early teenage years but so did everyone back then all over the world, then they became millionaires. At that point, you're out of touch with 99.9% of the world and reality.

They sure had some marketing geniuses behind them though, I respect them more as businessmen than musicians to be quite honest.

It may sound like I don't like them but that's not true, I just see them for what they are. Talented song writers, mediocre musicians, and marketing geniuses.

Edited: Put back an accidental line deletion.

16. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

In the Cavern club last weekend with my son ! we saw about three or four acts when he said " have you noticed they have all only played Beatles songs "
    He was right but it didn't matter!! All you need sometimes are Beatles songs

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I gave you some truth. :neutral: I never listened to post Beatles Lennon stuff.

Yes, I heard Imagine a time or two on a jukebox when I couldn't get away from it, or being covered by some other performer I was listening to. But that fact does not negate my earlier statement. I didn't say that I'd never heard Lennon's post Beatles stuff. I said I never "listened" to (or bought) it. That's different.

John had talent, no question. And he was smart and witty. When I was a teenager and the Beatles were still together I was a fan, and I liked John. I played and in many cases still play Beatles' songs, including some decidedly John Lennon songs (e.g., "Norwegian Wood," "Nowhere Man," "In My Life").

Lennon's music became propaganda for his beliefs and causes. Others here have already mentioned this aspect. That is precisely why I chose not to listen to him after 1970. Any artist for whom I have to drink the cool-aid in order to be a fan is an artist that has lost me.

18. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Can't decide.

my favorite Beatles songs are by John ("In My Life", "Help", "A Hard Day's Night", etc, etc.)

my favorite post Beatle solo album is George's "All Things Must Pass"

my favorite post Beatle solo singles are Ringo's "It Don't Come Easy" and "Photograph"

my favorite Beatle as a musician is Paul...great melodies, wonderful bass, guitar, piano player, versatile singer.

among the many milestones, the only group in which all the members each sang lead on at least one number one single. and repeated the feat as solo artists.

19. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Ibid.

20. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

VW ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.